Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tri-tip on the Traeger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tri-tip on the Traeger

I have two nice tri-tips I'd like to do on the Traeger, does anyone have a good method they can share?

Thanks

I don't have a method that works yet. I've got two Tri-tips that I'm going to cook this week. I let you know how it goes.

Comment

• Ozzie
      Ozzie commented
      Editing a comment
      kmhfive Please do share. Looking forward to trying a Tri-tip. Good luck!

Originally posted by kmhfive View Post
    I don't have a method that works yet. I've got two Tri-tips that I'm going to cook this week. I let you know how it goes.
    ok great, please keep me posted.

Comment

Very brief but a starting point for a pellet cook-

Seasoned with SPG then smoked on the GMG at 225 until 118. Then seared on a smoking hot Weber with lump charcoal. Perfect {"data-align":"none&quo

In case you didn't see it, not exactly written for a pellet cook but maybe a good reference-

A specialty of Santa Maria in California, this recipe for grilled tri-tip steak is sure to impress your guests. Tri-tip is a crescent-shaped muscle from the bottom sirloin just in front of the hip. It has a big beefy flavor, and it is very lean, so it must be sliced against the grain to ensure it is tender.

Haven't tried it on my REC-TEC yet but soon I hope. Please share your cook with us pellet heads. Good luck.

Comment

• kmhfive
        kmhfive commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks!

• Rod
        Rod commented
        Editing a comment
        I've done a couple Costco tri-tips on my Rec Tec. Followed Meatheads Santa Maria recipe (except I used cow crust as I can't get enough of it). Turned out great. Just be sure to slice across the grain. Tri-tip is really just a big ole steak anyway.

I have cooked Tri tip many ways and the common is don't over cook, use a thermometer for internal temperature if you have one. They do benefit from dry brining with the proper amount of salt a day in advance of cooking. If what you have is not a pre-seasoned hunk of beef, some steak seasoning or other beef seasoning is a crowd pleaser, just don't over salt if using a store bought rub-seasoning. On a gasser I cook them at 350F, Maybe 90min? (It has been a long time ago) I do like cooking them on the RecTec now at 230-250F and then a good reverse sear on a "afterburner" set up.

Comment

230 until they hit about 118-120 (not much carry over when your cooking at a low temp) then pull and sear on something. Preferably a charcoal grill but gas or cast iron work too. My favorite seasoning is salt, pepper, garlic.

Comment

• Deaf Arty
          Deaf Arty commented
          Editing a comment
          Agreed. With a good dry brine and this method they come out great. I've cooked 'em on a Traeger and on a GMG DB with great results.

Went looking for some tri-tip this morning, but of course, at our local places, there's nothing even close. I'll have to look at Costco the next time I'm down in Tulsa. <sigh> Too bad, had a hankerin' for some tri-tip goodness!

Comment

I've never cooked using pellets. Can you sear on them? If you can then just follow MH's recipe -low and slow til you reach a couple degrees below your desired doneness, then sear.

Comment

the Traeger on the smoke setting will bring them up low and slow, but you need to treat the cut like a sirloin steak and reverse sear them, utilizing your leave in and instant read thermometers to check the internal temps until they get where you want them to be.

Comment

I can sear on my Yoder Cimarron!
              Click image for larger version

Name:	YoderGGfire.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	193.8 KB
ID:	313748

Comment

Can't really sear on my Traegar, I don't think. I can't get up to quite 400F.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here