Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Preferred Brisket Wrap Temp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Preferred Brisket Wrap Temp

What temp does everyone wrap their brisket? I was also wondering if wrapping your brisket too early can make it taste like a pot roast? And if so when is too early? I use butcher paper to avoid this but have noticed different flavors at different wrapping temps (all tasty). I've wrapped in the past anywhere from 150 to 175 or so. Any tips on wrapping technique? Thanks for all the help!

I try not too wrap at all. I love having bark on my briskets and shoulders. But if you are short on time, wrapping is a good option. If I am going to be wrapping, I go for color and texture of the surface. I like to have a good layer of dark bark built up on the surface. That being said, I usually wrap at about 175 F -180 F. This is usually after the stall, but once I wrap it only takes about 30 mins to reach 202 F. Here is a shot of a brisket I cooked in my PBC, right before wrapping. This is what I shoot for.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4071-1.JPG
Views:	132
Size:	203.7 KB
ID:	308314

Also, I personally like foil better than butcher paper. The butcher paper soaks up all of that yummy Brisket/Pork Au jus.

Comment

I foil pan an' cover mine, when I pull it from th' cooker to rest, in FC, or oven...

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        The foil pan is a great option. I like to do shoulders in the foil pan. They fit perfectly.

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Agreed, in Spades!
        Every shoulder I've ever posted here has been done thusly.
        Big Red "EASY" Button

Man, everyone does things so different! I want to try every single way! I feel like a kid doing science experiments in my back yard when my parents aren't home.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        We all are kids, an' definitely doin backyard Science Experiments, daily!!!
        Welcome to th' Magic Kingdom!!!!

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Well that is pretty much what we turn into when the smoke starts rolling.

And it's funny u guys mentioned shoulders in the pan. That's my fav way also, best of both worlds. Amazing bark and all that sweet juice! Do you guys ever have problems of getting too much bark?

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Hahahaha, does such a thing exist? Huskee might say yes, but I say, "He crazy" !

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        What is this thing that ya refer to:
        Do you guys ever have problems of getting too much bark?
        Too hard/dry bark? Yeah, problematic, unappealin'.
        'Too much bark'? Please, define lol!

• JefRowCheckMat
        JefRowCheckMat commented
        Editing a comment
        Sometimes yeah. Too much meaning I feel like it could possibly be overkill. My wife loves it, most everyone loves it but sometimes I feel like it's a bit bitter and some of the juices are lost (when I don't use a pan)

No temp, the looks of the bark determine wrap time.

Comment

• JefRowCheckMat
        JefRowCheckMat commented
        Editing a comment
        Maybe like a ballpark time or temp?

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        JefRowCheckMat I would say 180 should be pretty close. Sooooo many variables, two best I ever did were wrapped at 194 internal, so go figure.

Each brisket is different....Each cook is different.

Does any one separate point and flat before they smoke brisket? I've seen some competition guys do it and wondered why?

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        They are going to be separated anyway, and as CandSue mentions, it is easier to do it when it is not piping hot.

No body has problems with dry brisket? Or do u prefer the exchange for the bark vs dryness? I like mine super moist.

Comment

• kmhfive
        kmhfive commented
        Editing a comment
        I don't wrap until it goes in the warmer and it's never been dry. I prefer to have a crisper bark to offset the melt-in-your-mouth goodness inside.

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        If you buy Prime. You won't have to worry about it.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here