Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chuck Roast Dilemma!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chuck Roast Dilemma!

I bought 2 very nice chuck roast at Costco yesterday and got them brining in the fridge with Oakridge Black Ops.
    Plan on letting them brine probably till Sunday. My dilemma is how am I going to cook them, on the PBC or Kettle
    with SNS? I cooked the last chuckle on the PBC and it turned out very good. I'm leaning more towards putting
    these guys on the Kettle this time. What do think?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Chuckies 06APR17.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	224.3 KB
ID:	301171Click image for larger version

Name:	Chuckies Brining 06APR17.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	244.7 KB
ID:	301172

If I have a large chunk of meat I almost always gravitate towards the PBC. It is really nice having an 8 hour cook as opposed to a 12 hour one.

Comment

• bardsleyque
      bardsleyque commented
      Editing a comment
      you call those" large"?

• PBCDad
      PBCDad commented
      Editing a comment
      bardsleyque if I had a 32# chuck roast I don't think I'd use my PBC, I'd need to buy an offset!

If you haven't tried them on the kettle yet, go for that. For one it will help with your knowledge and learning of how those chuckies cook on different cookers. Should be a fun time. And as always show us some pics.

Comment

• mattcotool
      mattcotool commented
      Editing a comment
      Haven't done one on the Kettle yet. Would like to do a comparison.

If it ain't broke don't fix it unless you want to do a comparison.

Comment

Put the big one on the PBC and the little one on the kettle and place bets to see which one is done first.....

Just kidding! If time is not a factor try something new. You need to learn about all the tools at your disposal. Either way you can't be wrong. Just make sure to post info and pics about your cook. Cheers!!!

Comment

Do one on each - just for scientific research. Then you will know which you like best.

Comment

I vote to try the kettle. It always helps to add more data to your overall knowledge base. Besides, you can hardly go wrong.

Comment

If you use your Kettle and SnS here's a good recipe. I like to wrap (with foil) mine after I have good bark to catch some juices to add back. On my last cook I wrapped at around 170 IT which was about 9 hours into the cook. These were 2.5 pounders.

Name:	IMG_1707.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	213.4 KB
ID:	301365

Comment

• mattcotool
              mattcotool commented
              Editing a comment
              Sure looks awesome! I have followed ABC Dave's recipe, It's a good one!

• fuzzydaddy
              fuzzydaddy commented
              Editing a comment
              mattcotool I'm looking forward to seeing your cook! It's going to be good!

The last chuck I did was at 260F on my 22.5"/SnS/DnG/Party-Q rig. Was an 8hr cook, sliced like brisket. It was a bit dry which may have been from the hot fast cook. Practice makes good eats.

Comment

Originally posted by mattcotool View Post
              I bought 2 very nice chuck roast at Costco yesterday [...]
              Those look like two different parts of the chuck. The larger one on the left looks like what is sold in my area as a "blade" chuck roast. The smaller part of that on the left side, under the fat seam is quite tender and an extension of the ribeye, while the larger part on the left, with the prominent grain, is much tougher. I'm still trying to figure out exactly what part of the shoulder the second, smaller, roast on the right comes from.

Comment

Originally posted by Nathaniel Schmidt View Post
                The last chuck I did was at 260F on my 22.5"/SnS/DnG/Party-Q rig. Was an 8hr cook, sliced like brisket. It was a bit dry which may have been from the hot fast cook. Practice makes good eats.
                I do hot 'n fast chuckies all the time, both in my PBC and on my WSCGC often between 260°F and 290°F. They (so far) have always been tender and juicy. I like to pull them, not slice or chunk them up, so I take them to 208° or so. Not a dry chuckie yet, and I've smoked tons of them. Pulled chuck is my substitute for ground beef in many recipes, so I always have 1lb packages vacuum sealed and on hand in my freezer.

Kathryn

Comment

• Gooner-que
                  Gooner-que commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Do you wrap them?

• fzxdoc
                  fzxdoc commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yup, Gooner-que, I wrap at about 170-180 after a good bark is on them, I tightly wrap them "nekkid" so they don't go all pot-roasty on me.

Thank you everyone for all of your support and recommendations. I think I am going to go with the Kettle & SNS this
                time.

Comment

So chuckles are on the Kettle with the SNS and B&B charcoal (I am real fan of that stuff!). Running about 245 F right now. More to follow.

Comment

Yum! Yum!

Comment

My chuckles from last night. Went to 209 and they were great. I sauced mine for last 90 mins of 5 hr cook at 230.

Name:	IMG_0188.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	223.1 KB
ID:	302279

Comment

• mattcotool
                        mattcotool commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Outstanding!

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here