Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pastrami, cheating a little

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pastrami, cheating a little

I made my first pastrami a few days ago. Instead of corning it myself I picked up a corned beef brisket (~5lbs) from the supermarket. At $5.89/lb It was considerably cheaper than buying a $9/lb fresh brisket flat and spending a week corning it myself.

I desalinated it 15 hrs (instead of the recommended bare minimum of 8). Then I decided to put some score marks to both sides before adding the rub.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG5719.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	27827

Name:	IMAG5721.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	126.0 KB
ID:	27829

Next I made up Meathead's Katz's Pastrami rub and applied liberally to all surfaces 360*

Name:	IMAG5722.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	152.2 KB
ID:	27828

Meathead calls for the rub to stay on the meat for 2 days before smoking. I did not have the time to do this so I put it on for about 1.5hrs while the smoker was heating up. The finished product was still amazing. Next time I will do it 2 days since I'm anxious to see how this can go from A+ to A++.

I smoked it about 6 hrs with red oak, (more than the recipe calls for as far as wood goes, but I like a good smoke profile and I feel it gets lost in such a highly-seasoned dish as pastrami) and about 2 hrs into the stall I wrapped it as you would a brisket and got the temp to 190. Then I pulled it and let it cool at room temp for an hour then placed it in the fridge, leaving the thermometer probe in.

The next day I steamed it over about about 1" of water on a rack in a roasting pan. The rack was held up out of the water with 4 foil balls about the size of golf balls. I covered the joint of the thermometer probe & wire with a couple layers of foil to protect it from steam/water degradation.

Once the water came to a low boil I placed the meat, on the foil it was wrapped in (but no longer wrapped), on the rack and turned the heat to low. I placed the roasting pan lid on with one steam vent open, and steamed it approx 1:30-1:45 until the IT was 203, then turned off the heat and let it sit there until the temp dropped to 180.

Slice thin.

Heaven.

Name:	IMAG5736.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	27830

Name:	IMAG5738.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	27831

As George Costanza says, pastrami is the most sensual of the salted, cured meats....

Wow, I've got to give this a try, Huskee. It was such a smart idea to start with corned beef as a shortcut to pastrami heaven.

Kathryn

Comment

Thanks Kathryn! Yeah, I thought as a entry into something I've never done before I'd keep it a tad simpler. For nearly half the price and a week less time & hassle though, I may always stick to pre-corned beef. If I could find a good enough deal anywhere on brisket flats I'd gladly try corning it myself, but I'm not sure that will happen sadly...

I woke up today to find my wife & kids ate the rest of it so I couldn't even take any to work tonight...I guess that means it was a hit with the entire family!

Comment

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        Same thing at my house. The minute I fall asleep someone is in the fridge snacking on the undefended Q!

Looks great. I always start with corned beef.

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Mark.

Looks good. I run into the same problem at my house, everyone loves it so much it just doesn't last.

Comment

Lookin' good Huskee! Reminds me that I have wanted to make a corned beef, since I've gone all the way through to pastrami a few times now. Have to keep my eye out for a "reasonable" flat. At one meat market, they usually have on or two whole packers around every time I go in for about $4.99/lb. Might be worth it to try my hand at splitting the point and flat.

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          That's such a good price! I can't believe it. Around here brisket's price makes it such a delicacy that like Pit Boss I buy more steaks than brisket (which still isn't much). Meathead p[refers the point for pastrami. The point is some dern good fatty meat, like a tender chuck roast when cooked properly.

• The Burn
          The Burn commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, it's strange because he's the only one. Costco, I think, is about $7 for a packer and nearly $9 for a trimmed flat. Grocery store somewhere in between. This little market must have a connection to the distributor...

Nice one! Heck, I would be happy cheating if I could save a week's worth of work also.

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Henrik!

Did you change out the water any while desalinating?

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Sorry I missed this JB, I don't remember so I don't think I did. It was still quite salty so maybe one water change wouldn't hurt unless you can handle salt. I put in water about 5pm, pulled it out the next morning about 8 to dry it and rub it while the smoker heated up.

Nice work! Pastrami is one thing I want to try soon, and I love the idea of skipping the corning.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
          Jerod Broussard commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm going all out real soon. My oldest step-daughter got tired of me just listing the steps.

Ya da man Huskee

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks DWC you're way too kind. Hey, I even ate a bowl of raisin bran last night in your honor. Thought about slicing a banana too but I was too lazy.

Thanks for the great idea of using a corned beef. Also great step by step. This is going to be my next smoke!

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          You betcha, credit goes to Meathead.

Excellent, EXCELLENT job Huskee! Now I'm hungry for Rueben's!

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Gee thanks Strat! I've not experimented much with pastramis, but this stuff is killer, especially so if you can already turn out some good smoked beef.

How do you think this would work if you used a point instead of a flat?

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
          Jerod Broussard commented
          Editing a comment
          Many prefer the point. The flat just offers more even slicing.

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          I think it would be awesome based on what Meathead and Jerod say! I don't have access to a point only, otherwise I would try it.

• W.A.
          W.A. commented
          Editing a comment
          Just bought 2 corned beef points. I'll update how it goes.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      Rubs Promo

Spotlight

These are not ads or paid placements. These are some of our favorite tools and toys.

These are products we have tested, won our top awards, and are highly recommend. Click here to read how we test, about our medals, and what they mean.

Use Our Links To Help Keep Us Alive

A big part of this site is our unbiased equipment and product reviews. We love playing with toys and we have no problem calling them the way we see them. Some companies pay a finder’s fee if a reader clicks a link on AmazingRibs.com and buys a product. It has zero impact on our reviews, zero impact on the price you pay, and the sites never tell us what you bought, but it has a major impact on our ability to keep this site alive! So before you buy, please click our links. Here’s a link that takes you to a page on Amazon that has some of our favorite tools and toys: https://tinyurl.com/amazingribs

Compact Powerful Sear Machine For Your Next Tailgater

Char-Broil’s Grill2Go x200 is a super-portable, fun little sizzler made of heavy, rust-proof cast aluminum. The lid snaps shut. Grab the handle and you’re off to the party! Char-Broil’s TRU-Infrared design produces searing heat while reducing fuel consumption. A 16 ounce LP gas canister is enough to keep you flipping burgers for hours.

Click here to read our detailed review and to order

The Good-One Is A Superb Grill And A Superb Smoker All In One

The Good-One Open Range is dramatically different from a traditional offset smoker. By placing the heat source behind and under the smokebox instead of off to the side, Open Range produces even temperature from left to right, something almost impossible to achieve with a standard barrel shaped offset.

Click here to read our†complete review

Comprehensive Temperature Magnet With 80+ Important Temps

Amazingribs.com temperature magnet
      Winner of the National BBQ Association’s product of the year award. This 8.5″ x 11″ magnet contains more that 80 benchmark temperatures for meats (both USDA recommended temps as well as the temps chefs recommend), fats and oils, sugars, sous vide, eggs, collagens, wood combustion, breads, and more. Although it is not certified as all-weather, we have tested it outdoors in Chicago weather and it has not delaminated in three years, but there is minor fading.

Click here to order.

The Efficiency Of A Kamado Plus The Flexibility Of The Slow ‘N Sear Insert

kamado grill
      Built around SnS Grill’s patented Slow ‘N Sear charcoal kettle accessory, this 22-inch kamado is a premium ceramic grill that brings true 2-zone cooking to a kamado.

Click here for our article on this exciting cooker

Our Favorite Backyard Smoker

The amazing Karubecue is the most innovative smoker in the world. The quality of meat from this machine is astonishing. At its crux is a patented firebox that burns logs above the cooking chamber and sucks heat and extremely clean blue smoke into the thermostat controlled oven. It is our favorite smoker, period.
      Click here for our review of this superb smoker

Surely you know somebody who loves outdoor cooking who deserves a gift for the holidays, birthday, anniversary, or just for being wonderful. There he is, right in the mirror! Here are our selections of best ideas, all Platinum or Gold Medalists, listed by price.

Click here to see our list of Gold Medal Gifts

The Pit Barrel Cooker May Be Too Easy

The PBC has a rabid cult following for good reason. It is absolutely positively without a doubt the best bargain on a smoker in the world. Period. This baby will cook circles around the cheap offset sideways barrel smokers because temperature control is so much easier.

Click here to read our detailed review and the raves from people who own them