Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pastrami, cheating a little

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pastrami, cheating a little

I made my first pastrami a few days ago. Instead of corning it myself I picked up a corned beef brisket (~5lbs) from the supermarket. At $5.89/lb It was considerably cheaper than buying a $9/lb fresh brisket flat and spending a week corning it myself.

I desalinated it 15 hrs (instead of the recommended bare minimum of 8). Then I decided to put some score marks to both sides before adding the rub.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG5719.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	27827

Name:	IMAG5721.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	126.0 KB
ID:	27829

Next I made up Meathead's Katz's Pastrami rub and applied liberally to all surfaces 360*

Name:	IMAG5722.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	152.2 KB
ID:	27828

Meathead calls for the rub to stay on the meat for 2 days before smoking. I did not have the time to do this so I put it on for about 1.5hrs while the smoker was heating up. The finished product was still amazing. Next time I will do it 2 days since I'm anxious to see how this can go from A+ to A++.

I smoked it about 6 hrs with red oak, (more than the recipe calls for as far as wood goes, but I like a good smoke profile and I feel it gets lost in such a highly-seasoned dish as pastrami) and about 2 hrs into the stall I wrapped it as you would a brisket and got the temp to 190. Then I pulled it and let it cool at room temp for an hour then placed it in the fridge, leaving the thermometer probe in.

The next day I steamed it over about about 1" of water on a rack in a roasting pan. The rack was held up out of the water with 4 foil balls about the size of golf balls. I covered the joint of the thermometer probe & wire with a couple layers of foil to protect it from steam/water degradation.

Once the water came to a low boil I placed the meat, on the foil it was wrapped in (but no longer wrapped), on the rack and turned the heat to low. I placed the roasting pan lid on with one steam vent open, and steamed it approx 1:30-1:45 until the IT was 203, then turned off the heat and let it sit there until the temp dropped to 180.

Slice thin.

Heaven.

Name:	IMAG5736.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	27830

Name:	IMAG5738.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	27831

As George Costanza says, pastrami is the most sensual of the salted, cured meats....

Wow, I've got to give this a try, Huskee. It was such a smart idea to start with corned beef as a shortcut to pastrami heaven.

Kathryn

Comment

Thanks Kathryn! Yeah, I thought as a entry into something I've never done before I'd keep it a tad simpler. For nearly half the price and a week less time & hassle though, I may always stick to pre-corned beef. If I could find a good enough deal anywhere on brisket flats I'd gladly try corning it myself, but I'm not sure that will happen sadly...

I woke up today to find my wife & kids ate the rest of it so I couldn't even take any to work tonight...I guess that means it was a hit with the entire family!

Comment

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        Same thing at my house. The minute I fall asleep someone is in the fridge snacking on the undefended Q!

Looks great. I always start with corned beef.

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Mark.

Looks good. I run into the same problem at my house, everyone loves it so much it just doesn't last.

Comment

Lookin' good Huskee! Reminds me that I have wanted to make a corned beef, since I've gone all the way through to pastrami a few times now. Have to keep my eye out for a "reasonable" flat. At one meat market, they usually have on or two whole packers around every time I go in for about $4.99/lb. Might be worth it to try my hand at splitting the point and flat.

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          That's such a good price! I can't believe it. Around here brisket's price makes it such a delicacy that like Pit Boss I buy more steaks than brisket (which still isn't much). Meathead p[refers the point for pastrami. The point is some dern good fatty meat, like a tender chuck roast when cooked properly.

• The Burn
          The Burn commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, it's strange because he's the only one. Costco, I think, is about $7 for a packer and nearly $9 for a trimmed flat. Grocery store somewhere in between. This little market must have a connection to the distributor...

Nice one! Heck, I would be happy cheating if I could save a week's worth of work also.

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Henrik!

Did you change out the water any while desalinating?

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Sorry I missed this JB, I don't remember so I don't think I did. It was still quite salty so maybe one water change wouldn't hurt unless you can handle salt. I put in water about 5pm, pulled it out the next morning about 8 to dry it and rub it while the smoker heated up.

Nice work! Pastrami is one thing I want to try soon, and I love the idea of skipping the corning.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
          Jerod Broussard commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm going all out real soon. My oldest step-daughter got tired of me just listing the steps.

Ya da man Huskee

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks DWC you're way too kind. Hey, I even ate a bowl of raisin bran last night in your honor. Thought about slicing a banana too but I was too lazy.

Thanks for the great idea of using a corned beef. Also great step by step. This is going to be my next smoke!

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          You betcha, credit goes to Meathead.

Excellent, EXCELLENT job Huskee! Now I'm hungry for Rueben's!

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Gee thanks Strat! I've not experimented much with pastramis, but this stuff is killer, especially so if you can already turn out some good smoked beef.

How do you think this would work if you used a point instead of a flat?

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
          Jerod Broussard commented
          Editing a comment
          Many prefer the point. The flat just offers more even slicing.

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          I think it would be awesome based on what Meathead and Jerod say! I don't have access to a point only, otherwise I would try it.

• W.A.
          W.A. commented
          Editing a comment
          Just bought 2 corned beef points. I'll update how it goes.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here