Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Online Beef Rib Supplier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Online Beef Rib Supplier

Hey Folks,

I ventured over to the beef holy land in Austin a few weeks ago and had some beef ribs at La BBQ that damn near changed my life. Ever since then, I've had an itch to make some of my own. I've done a lot of brisket, but never done beef ribs before. I think I know how I'm going to do them, but the biggest issue I'm facing is finding a place I can buy the large bone in prime beef ribs online. Anyone have a recommended supplier of prime beef ribs?

Pat La Freda got 'em. I'd get 'em if my wife never found out what I paid for 'em.

Comment

• Steve B
      Steve B commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes they do. $29 and change a pound. But his meats are some of the best I've found.

• DWCowles
      DWCowles commented
      Editing a comment
      I love his burgers

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Perfectly done beef ribs are life changing, yes, but $29/lb is marital status changing.

Better off trying to find a bone in ribeye and cut our own. Leave them as beefy as you wish. Then play with the remains

Comment

I may need to find a butcher who can order what I want from somewhere since I can only seem to find the individual ribs. I'm specifically looking for this cut:

"Item No. 123A - Beef Short Plate, Short Ribs, Trimmed - This item is as described in Item No. 123 except that it shall be derived from the 6th, 7th, and 8th ribs of the short plate, the M. serratus ventralis shall be continuous across the cut surface for at least 2 ribs on both the dorsal and ventral sides, and the exterior fat cover and the M. latissimus dorsi shall be removed"

That's what most of these BBQ places seem to use.

Comment

I scored on 10 pounds of beef ribs today from rest. Depot. Managers special for $2 a pound!

Comment

Are you sure you had rib roast bones? They may well have been short ribs--which are stupendous, imho. Our Safeway carries the whole short plate for $6/lb.

Comment

Usda choice angus beef back ribs. I've never attempted beef ribs before.

Comment

• Steve B
              Steve B commented
              Editing a comment
              Please show us some pics!!!!

• Butchman
              Butchman commented
              Editing a comment
              I will I promise. Gonna dry brine with Franklin salt and pepper rub over night then hang em on the PBC!

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              I love beef backs. I've made them 3 to 1 over shorties. They are just as awesome taste-wise I think.

I have posted about this before, and dang they are impossible to get down here believe it or not. You would think they would be on every shelf in Texas. These dyno ribs you eat at Franklins and such are not rib-eye bones. Totally different cut, totally different meat. They are specifically ordered as NAMP 123A. As posted above ribs 6, 7 and 8. Think I have a line on some due to an earlier conversation on here though (and I have a good friend at Sysco). I keep going to Snake River Farms website, looking at the Wagyu. Dang near going to pull the trigger!

Comment

• Butchman
              Butchman commented
              Editing a comment
              These are big, I don't know if they are Dina size but I'll post pics etc. I'm ignorant on beef ribs.

One angle is to see if you can make friends with a restaurant owner/manager. See if they can order a small case of beef ribs for you. From Sysco, I can order a small case, which is a pair of 3 bone plates of 123A, like lonnie mac has so accurately identified.

At, say, $5.75 a pound, that 2 plate small case of Prime CAB Bone-In Beef Short Ribs costs about $95 or so...which is SO WORTH IT!

There, you have your marching orders!
            Click image for larger version  Name:	MJNM5840.jpg Views:	1 Size:	3.03 MB ID:	307836
            Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2980.JPG Views:	1 Size:	8.15 MB ID:	307838
            Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3018.JPG Views:	1 Size:	5.18 MB ID:	307837

Comment

• Steve B
              Steve B commented
              Editing a comment
              Oh Paul. You suck. Not really.
              But that last pic. OMG. Please let me eat that before I die. My tummys already growling.

• PaulstheRibList
              PaulstheRibList commented
              Editing a comment
              @Steve_B promise, I don't mean to cause trouble....lol

#GetOntheRibList

• RonB
              RonB commented
              Editing a comment
              PaulstheRibList - Your last shot looks amazing, but what cut o' beef is that on top of the rib meat in the last photo? Thanx ~ Ron

Butchman - Here's a link to a summary of the various kinds of beef ribs along with the NAMP designations.

There are several popular types of beef short rib cuts, each with a different muscle and fat composition making it ideal for different cooking styles.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0056.JPG
Views:	1789
Size:	411.1 KB
ID:	307903 3 large racks, just over 12 pounds total. Dry brine has begun. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0055.JPG
Views:	1774
Size:	318.7 KB
ID:	307902

Comment

• Huskee
                Huskee commented
                Editing a comment
                WOW! Jealous as I'll ever be! JefRowCheckMat Beef back ribs are more similar looking to pork ribs, longer relatively skinnier bones, usually several together. Beef short ribs are often a flat really wide large bone, typically cut in to single bones only a few inches long, with meat on top. One or two are a meal.

• Butchman
                Butchman commented
                Editing a comment
                According to the label these are back ribs. Not as much meat as short ribs.

• lonnie mac
                lonnie mac commented
                Editing a comment
                Still, a dang dang nice snack!

Here are some Wagyu beef ribs on sale at $6.98 per pound
              Just the mention of succulent Wagyu back ribs sends us running for the smoker…add the word Wagyu to the sentence and you can imagine how quickly we get the fire started! Cut from the center back of the steer, our Marble Score 3 Wagyu Back Rib

Also Wagyu boneless short ribs https://www.steaksandgame.com/wagyu-...3-boneless-121
              And Wagyu boneless Chuck ribs https://www.steaksandgame.com/wagyu-...neless-ms3-125

Comment

the business Costcos near Seattle carry beef ribs

Comment

Back to HackingBBQ for online ordering. I posted a link above for NAMP 123A, but have never seen them actually in stock! The pic in that link always had a "sold out" label across it! Well last night when I was posting the link, for the first time, they were in stock!

So dang, got me some on the way. A pretty dime for sure. Going to have to start my own thread next weekend!

Comment

Omg just tried to eat the ribs. They are so rich I could only manage about 2 ribs. What am I going to do with the other 10 pounds or so? They are delicious but they are extremely rich so hard to eat more than a few.

Comment

• Butchman
                      Butchman commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I'm stuffed,

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here