Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I Joined Sam's Today...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I Joined Sam's Today...

I'm a long-time member of Costco, and I really like it overall. But it seems that not every Costco store is created equal. For example, I've read many stories here and elsewhere about Costco prime-grade whole packer briskets selling for $2.80 per lb, great beef rib and tri tip selections, etc. But my local Costco carries only choice-grade brisket flats (at $5.99 per lb), no beef ribs, and no tri tip. However, I love all their pork offerings.

I stopped by Sam's this morning and browsed as a visitor. I saw choice-grade whole packer briskets for $2.68 per lb, nice beef ribs, and nice tri tip cuts. I was very impressed.

I don't want to forsake Costco, because I've come to appreciate many of their offerings, but I joined Sam's as well today for $45 yearly fee that gives me access to some great meats that I can't get at my local Costco. I'll get that $45 back on the first brisket or two I buy there.

I can't fathom how some Costco stores sell prime-grade whole packer briskets for less than half of what my local Costco charges for choice-grade flats.

I did the opposite actually. We (family) were long time members of Sam's. Then we switched to Costco. The Costco I go to here in the Twin Cities has an excellent meat selection, but it does mirror other shops in Minnesota as far as selection. They have Prime packers for $2.89.lb, excellent choices of ribeye, strips ribeye caps, etc. they also have a great pork selection. Everything from pork belly, shoulders, ribs, chop and tenderloins. However, they never carry beef ribs or tri-tip just like the other stores in Minnesota. The Sam's we have here are far inferior to Costco. Much poorer section of meats and the staff is not really helpful or knowledgeable. That is the difference you get, in my experience. Unlike Sam's, Costco pays their employees well and offer them benefits. And it shows. They care about their store and those shopping there. This has been my experience and its certainly not this way everywhere, I am sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Spinaker View Post
      I did the opposite actually. We (family) were long time members of Sam's. Then we switched to Costco. The Costco I go to here in the Twin Cities has an excellent meat selection, but it does mirror other shops in Minnesota as far as selection. They have Prime packers for $2.89.lb, excellent choices of ribeye, strips ribeye caps, etc. they also have a great pork selection. Everything from pork belly, shoulders, ribs, chop and tenderloins. However, they never carry beef ribs or tri-tip just like the other stores in Minnesota. The Sam's we have here are far inferior to Costco. Much poorer section of meats and the staff is not really helpful or knowledgeable. That is the difference you get, in my experience. Unlike Sam's, Costco pays their employees well and offer them benefits. And it shows. They care about their store and those shopping there. This has been my experience and its certainly not this way everywhere, I am sure.
      My local Costco is great as well. It's very clean, and the staff is very helpful. The only thing lacking is full packer briskets, beef ribs, and tri tip.

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        hahahahaha, and thats what really matters brother!!!!

TBoneJack - what state are you in? I've not been to Sam's, but the Costcos around here don't carry prime briskets at any price. I talked to one person and he said they should be able to get them - if I want a case. The next time I was in, I spoke to a butcher who said there was no way they could get them. I'm in central VA BTW.
      Last edited by RonB; January 28, 2017, 03:17 PM.

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        You can get them, You just have to talk to the right person at the Costco. Ask to speak to the purchasing manager at the store.

• TBoneJack
        TBoneJack commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm in Alabama / Tennessee (on the border). There are only about 5 Costco stores in all of Alabama, versus a couple Sam's stores in every city with at least 900 total residents, or so it seems.

• fuzzydaddy
        fuzzydaddy commented
        Editing a comment
        TBoneJack I'm a few miles east of Pensacola. I hear ya! My nearest Costco is west in Mobile, AL - about an hour away. Sam's is about half that distance and in an area I frequent.

I'm in NE Ohio Costco here sell choice for 4 something I think it was. Can go to BJ'S and get everything cheaper, no tri tip any where

Comment

I submitted the following question to Costco's web site today. I don't expect a good answer, but I'll post whatever response they provide, if any.

I'm a long-time member of Costco, and I really like it overall. But it seems that not every Costco store is created equal. For example, I've read many stories on internet forums about Costco PRIME-grade whole packer briskets selling for $2.80 per lb. But my local Costco carries only CHOICE-grade brisket flats at $5.99 per lb.

I stopped by a nearby Sam's yesterday and browsed as a visitor. I saw choice-grade whole packer briskets for $2.68 per lb, nice beef ribs, and nice tri tip cuts. I was very impressed.

I can't fathom how some Costco stores sell prime-grade whole packer briskets for LESS THAN HALF of what my local Costco charges for choice-grade flats.

Care to explain?

Comment

• RonB
          RonB commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm looking forward to the answer you receive - IF you get an answer. I'm slowly working on my local Costco to see if I can get them to stock full packers. I'd take a choice, but would prefer a prime. If I haven't worked this out by the time I want to smoke a brisket, I'll go to Sam's for a choice.

RonB , Costco sent me this response today:

Thank you for contacting Costco.

We are happy to assist you today. We have forwarded your question on to the buying group for review. Please allow up to 3-5 business days for a response back. Have a wonderful day.

Thank you,

Jeanie S
        Member Service Center
        Costco Wholesale Corporation

Comment

• RonB
          RonB commented
          Editing a comment
          TBoneJack - Thanx. Lookin' forward to their response.

• W.A.
          W.A. commented
          Editing a comment
          Lol. I see our brand new Costco stocking fewer things I liked and replacing with crappier alternatives. I think they computer model what they offer to reduce waste. Some cheap people around me evidently.

TBoneJack I will be curious to see where this goes. Keep us posted!

Comment

• TBoneJack
          TBoneJack commented
          Editing a comment
          Will do.

I'm in SE PA. Near me is a Sam's, BJ's, and a Restaurant Depot. BF started hitting Restaurant Depot for the coffee shop and brought me home a flier. They are worth checking out, if there's one near you. I think you need an EIN to get in, which is why I hadn't been yet. The local Costco is about an hour away, the other 3 are about 15 min. I keep meaning to check out BJ's when I get the "free membership" offer in the mail.

Comment

I'm a member at both Costco & Sams. My local stores have their own strengths that make having memberships worthwhile. In general, I find Costco to have more variety in meat & more prime cuts. Sam's seems to support barbecue enthusiasts year round with their selection of grills, fuel & accessories. I also like Sam's commitment to improving the customer experience....I love being able to bypass checkout lines with their Scan & Go app. I don't think you can go wrong with dual memberships.

Comment

Still haven't heard back from Costco. The "3-5 days" they promised is almost up...

Comment

Originally posted by Atalanta View Post
              I'm in SE PA. Near me is a Sam's, BJ's, and a Restaurant Depot. BF started hitting Restaurant Depot for the coffee shop and brought me home a flier. They are worth checking out, if there's one near you. I think you need an EIN to get in, which is why I hadn't been yet. The local Costco is about an hour away, the other 3 are about 15 min. I keep meaning to check out BJ's when I get the "free membership" offer in the mail.
              You can join the KC BBQ Society and get access to RD. I haven't done it because the nearest RD is still almost 100 miles. But I would.

Comment

• TBoneJack
                TBoneJack commented
                Editing a comment
                The closest RD is about 80 miles away from me. I'd love to browse thru there one day.

• Mosca
                Mosca commented
                Editing a comment
                Mine is 70 miles, about an hour and a half driving. I can't justify the $40 membership plus the drive for the difference in cost and cuts available.

• Atalanta
                Atalanta commented
                Editing a comment
                I think I saw that somewhere and was thinking about it. But since BF now has a membership there, Costco, and I think they're considering Sam's, I'll just make him come with.

I'm in NE PA, the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton corridor of I-81. We have two Sam's Clubs, and lots of mall and strip mall and general chain retail stuff like BB&B, Office Depot, etc. And we are still the hub for Stroudsburg and Tannersville, Bloomsburg, and a lot of smaller towns in the area. And Costco has no plans for expansion to here.

In fact, along that whole corridor of 1-81, there are no Costcos from Allentown/Bethlehem all the way north to Syracuse.

Comment

• TBoneJack
                TBoneJack commented
                Editing a comment
                For the life of me, I can't understand why there's not more Costco stores. The one in my city beats Sam's Club in every category except beef selections. My Costco is very clean, has great customer service, and has great meat selections other than beef.

• Mosca
                Mosca commented
                Editing a comment
                All I can guess is that it's not just population, demographics have to have something to do with it. But NE PA supports two Wegman's.

• Atalanta
                Atalanta commented
                Editing a comment
                For me, the closest Wegman's is just past Costco. However, there is one across the street from my office in Raritan/Bridgewater, NJ. I hit that Wegmans all the time.

I have some news.

Costco replied and said the reason their whole packer Prime briskets sell for $2.99/lb, while their Choice brisket flats sell for $5.99/lb, is because the Prime cuts have none of the fat cap removed. The flat cuts tend to have much of the fat cap already removed.

And surprise, surprise. Guess what I saw today at my local Costco? Whole packer Prime briskets for $2.99/lb. Like out of the blue.

Is it a coincidence that I've been looking for these things for months, and they show up at Costco only about three weeks after I emailed a complaint to them?
              Last edited by TBoneJack; March 18, 2017, 08:03 PM.

Comment

• scotte303
                scotte303 commented
                Editing a comment
                excellent, I may borrow your email and send to the local Costco here in north jersey, :0

Take th' ball an run like H3LL!!! I'd fill my deep freeze, if I could get Prime packers fer $2.99/lb...

Comment

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                Make Stop up in Minne. We have plenty!

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here