Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long should I wait?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How long should I wait?

Hey folks, my neighbor called me today to tell me that he took a bull off today to be slaughter and since I'm all the time inviting him and his family over for some brew and Q he wanted to pay me back by giving me some of the beef. I told him I didn't want it but he wouldn't take no for an answer. So anyway, my question is how long can I let the brisket sit in the fridge before smoking? I'm sure it will only be wrap in white butcher paper.

I freeze my briskets I get at Costco and can't tell the difference from a fresh one from the butcher, maybe get in a sealed plastic bag and freeze it so you don't have to worry. By the way you could get the salt on before you freeze, I just finished salting/bagging/freezing 2 tri tips.

Comment

I think that's what I will do with it all SMOG MAN just dry brine it, vacuum seal and freeze. Thanks

Comment

Would it be OK to inject with that Butcher's Injection? Just wondering if all those other ingredients (phosphates and what not) would do well with freezing.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
          Jerod Broussard commented
          Editing a comment
          Paul can experiment. I don't need injection for succulent brisket.

• DWCowles
          DWCowles commented
          Editing a comment
          Nope, you just chop it up...😂

• PaulstheRibList
          PaulstheRibList commented
          Editing a comment
          I have done only 1 successful Side-By-Side Injected vs. Non-Injected brisket test. Injected was better, but not a huge difference.

On the plate are Injected vs. Dry Brine, in 24 and 48 Hr Vareties, as well as Plain (non-brined).

DWCowles, I can't argue with any advice given here so far! My question is with your opening Description, "Friend" & "Bull"? This leads me to two followup questions How Good a Friend and How Old a Bull? If it is an old Balogna Bull being retired You might want to Start Cutting Wood Now! Was it Grain Fed to Finish? I am not a Beef Producer but my Dad was and a good one! Protein is Protien but some is Chewier than others!
        Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

lets see a picture of that brisket DW!

Comment

• DWCowles
            DWCowles commented
            Editing a comment
            I have to wait till I get home in 2 weeks and besides that he just took the cow off yesterday.
            Last edited by DWCowles; October 26, 2016, 01:43 PM.

Why don't you smoke it......then you won't have to worry!

Comment

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            I mean....most of the stuff that goes in my smoker doesn't last long enough to justify freezing!! PaulstheRibList with that new Mixon Smoker, I am sure you understand better than I!

• PaulstheRibList
            Editing a comment
            It's partly just that having to organize lots of stuff is not fun for me, so when I put something in the freezer, the next time I think about it is when I'm having to clean/move/defrost the freezer!

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            Guilty as Charged PaulstheRibList

Well I was wondering if I can aged it some before smoking Spinaker but thanks for the ideal

Comment

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            Hahaha, Yeah I know, I was just giving you a hard time. I usually age mine about 30 days in a cryovac. If you can cryo it wait 30 days. If not, I would salt it and let it sit, uncovered, in the fridge for upto 5 days. Or Freeze it.

• PaulstheRibList
            Editing a comment
            I have wet-aged in the factory cryovac for over 60 days. Great Stuff!

Pretty standard is to let beef hang for 14 days after slaughter and before butcher. Lobel's will dry age up to 6 weeks commercially.

Comment

• DWCowles
            DWCowles commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks, that pretty much answer my question and my neighbor said the same thing today.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here