Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question and advice on 1st brisket.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question and advice on 1st brisket.

I am in midst of brisket cook. Have this Question: does the brisket tighten up then loosen up as the cook progresses? Feels tight does that mean I've over cooked? M

from the topic https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...co-for-2-69-lb

It loosens up considerably and falls apart as you cook it/overcook it.

Once cooked, if you don't slice it and allow it to chill back down, it will tighten back up.

Comment

I did my first one yesterday. Gotta load the pics and post it. On your question, I followed the advice of many on this site and cooked to temperature, not time. I pulled it at about 197F, wrapped it tightly in foil, then a towel, and it sat in a cooler for 2 hours. There was virtually no juice in the foil when I unwrapped it, and super tender and moist! Flat was easily separated from the point because all the juicy fatty goodness rendered down properly. Be patient, trust your meat thermometers, and post the results!

Hmm, if you don't have a meat thermometer, then you might wanna see what others say, but I can tell you mine was jiggly, and my meat thermometer (or maybe a toothpick or skewer) slid in the thick part of the flat like buttah! Hope this helps.

Comment

Briskets are tight and as Jerod Broussard said, will loosen up as you cook, getting to probe tender when perfectly done.

Most important time is the last little bit when you are deciding when to pull.

The temp is your indicator that you should be checking more often, when you are getting north of 190 degrees.

Do you have a Maverick or other remote probe that you left in the brisket?

Comment

AZRedneck and PaulstheRibList. I have temp probes and everything turned out pretty good. Good flavor and bark maybe could juicier on the flat but the point was great. Thanks for your help. Pics https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...co-for-2-69-lb

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here