Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Prime packer brisket @Costco for 2.69/lb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prime packer brisket @Costco for 2.69/lb

Going to attempt my first brisket on Green Mountain Daniel Boone Sat/Sunday. Pics to come. Mitch

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	380
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	221553

I picked up my prime packer from Costco yesterday for $2.89/lb. It's in the fridge in dry brine, going on my GMG DB tomorrow afternoon. I hope yours is great! Mine looks like I trimmed it with a cheese grater but we shall see.

Comment

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      At that price you don't feel guilty about trimming!

Been cooking Costco prime grade brisket every week for 5 weeks. Decided to give it a break this weekend but I look forward to seeing how your cook goes.

Comment

OK, I paid $3.59/lb for a whole prime grade packer brisket...seems like I got taken! The last one I cooked was an Angus brisket from Cash & Carry, and it was phenomenal! I separated the flat from the point, and it was done at about 6 hours. Let it rest for about an hour in a cooler. Never had a better brisket! I'm very interested to see how this one fares, being a bit more fatty.

Comment

Mitchl ... Doing your first brisket cook with a USDA Prime grade of meat is a great advantage. You're half way to a great cook.

Are you going to to smoke it as 1 piece or separate the point from the flat?

Are you going to use the Texas crutch?

Are you going to plan for the stall or double stall?

Are you going to power through the stall with more heat?

What temperature are going to cook at?

How long are you going to start the cook before you want to serve it?

How long are you planning to leave it in the cambro before slicing it?

So much planning to do...

Good luck!

Comment

• AZRedneck
          AZRedneck commented
          Editing a comment
          No pressure.

• Rdrjsm
          Rdrjsm commented
          Editing a comment
          Geez, maybe I'll wait to see how this comes out...

Breadhead. Two pieces. Point and flat. Likely going to wrap and faux cambro. 225C. Pretty much going to do Meathead's recipe on the site. I have his book for guidance. I don't know about adding heat to shorten stall, likely won't. Going to start Sat evening for Sunday and will hold in cambro for a couple of hours packed with beach towels. Trimmed and dry brining now. I do need a better sharper knife for trimming though. M.

Comment

• Breadhead
          Breadhead commented
          Editing a comment
          Sounds to me like you're gonna have a great brisket cook.👍 Enjoy the cook and the tasty food.

Like everyone said. Don' be surprised if it cooks way faster than you thought. Check with probe for tenderness early.

Comment

Good luck Mitchl . Just be prepared as much as possible, and I'm sure you will be fine.

AT those prices, it would be cheaper for me to pay someone to ship a prime packer to me than it would be to buy it locally - it would cost me well over $100 - if I could find prime...

Comment

Which Costco are you getting Prime Brisket, especially packers. Here in SE Pennsylvania we only have choice flats.

Comment

• Breadhead
              Breadhead commented
              Editing a comment
              My Costco used to only stock Choice flats too. Then out of the blue they started stocking choice/prime packers. Petition the guys in the meat department for USDA Prime packers. They MIGHT stock them if they think there is enough business for them???

Just finished trimming and separating mine into flat and point portions. Last time I did this, I was DONE cooking in under six hours at 220F. The flat portion was outstanding, but the point was epic! Took it to 203F internal (following a crutch with a bit of apple juice), then wrapped for an hour or so in a cooler with towels. That was Angus. This one is the prime grade from Costco. Doing it alongside a pork shoulder tomorrow.

Pictures of the whole beast, then the flat and point. Yes, I trimmed them pretty nekkid! I'm hoping to get a really decent bark with the rub directly in contact with meat, rather than a layer of fat.

Name:	Whole prime grade brisket.JPG
Views:	144
Size:	218.9 KB
ID:	221747 Click image for larger version

Name:	Flat portion.JPG
Views:	140
Size:	247.3 KB
ID:	221748 Click image for larger version

Name:	Point portion.JPG
Views:	131
Size:	254.3 KB
ID:	221749

Comment

• Mitchl
              Mitchl commented
              Editing a comment
              What were you cooking on for 6 hours cook time? Btw, these look exactly how I trimmed mine. Just put them on hopefully won't cook in 6 hours or I'll be eating breakfast brisket. Was shooting for 9-10 at 225c. I guess I'll see.
              Last edited by Mitchl; September 18, 2016, 09:19 AM.

• cut2cure
              cut2cure commented
              Editing a comment
              Louisiana Grills Country Smoker 570. Using "Competition Pellets" with maple, apple, and pecan wood pellets.

Beautiful!

Comment

Super jealous!!!! I get my prime brisket at Costco also. Usually runs around $2.89/LB here in Vegas. I'm still trying to perfect my brisket technique, but I'm getting close! Good luck! I look forward to the final product pictures!!! What are kind of wood are you going to use for smoke?

Comment

• Mitchl
                Mitchl commented
                Editing a comment
                Texas blend pellets from green mountain.

Ok pics. About 8 hours in just flipped since the bottom looked a little more barky. Added more water. Forgot to mention amazin tube for first couple hours for added smoke. 174IT. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0295.JPG
Views:	142
Size:	195.2 KB
ID:	222004

Comment

cut2cure W.A. and others. Question: does the brisket tighten up then loosen up as the cook progresses? Feels tight does that mean I've over cooked? M

Comment

• cut2cure
                  cut2cure commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Not really sure about this, to be honest. I try not to interrupt the cooking until specific events (stall and nearing doneness). I wouldn't doubt it, though, given that the connective tissues are dense, then break down into delicious goodness!

Honestly, I wait for the stall to begin, then crutch in heavy foil with a bit of apple juice...not much. Then, as I approach 203F, I wrap in towels and drop into a large cooler. Stays hot and moist for hours!

I'm cooking on a Louisiana Grills Country Smoker 570 (pellet). With the pieces separated, they simply don't take long to reach temperature. I'm also doing a pork shoulder, as we have 21 people coming tonight.

Name:	Rubbed brisket.JPG
Views:	135
Size:	222.1 KB
ID:	222053 Click image for larger version

Name:	Rubbed pork shoulder.JPG
Views:	147
Size:	211.9 KB
ID:	222054

Comment

• Northside Brian
                  Northside Brian commented
                  Editing a comment
                  My last Costco brisket was a 12 lb prime. Cooked in a PBC for a total of 8hrs. I took it off at 202 internal, wrapped in a heated cooler for 3.5 hrs. When i sliced it the temp was 160 and cut like a hot knife thru butter.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here