Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My first brisket: Success is mine!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My first brisket: Success is mine!

I've had my smoker for a year now. So this Saturday I finally claimed my birthright as a Texan. I smoked my first brisket. I've always been intimidated by them, I've eaten so many dry briskets. But this one came out great. I want to thank everyone in the pit for all the advice and encouragement. And for those that responded so quickly to my trimming questions Friday night.

So here is the timeline. I bought a 13 lb. USDA Prime Packer from Costco a while back (at $2.79 a pound) and kept in the freezer and invited my oldest friend (since 8th grade), his family and parents, and my mom over for a get together. Friday night I trimmed, and trimmed, watched trimming videos, and trimmed really not knowing what I was doing. I cut out so much hard fat between the point and the flat I ended up just separating them. I then put on the rub and wrapped it in Saran Wrap and put it back in the fridge. I really considered just doing a dalmatian rub but instead I used Cash Cow by Big Poppa Smokers. I'll be honest, it had a sour smell in the jar and I was a bit nervous. But I forged on.

Saturday I got up and fired up the PBC and hung the two parts and held steady at 285. Since it was cut in half and its a PBC the cook went quick. I hit the stall and stayed between 171 and 174 for a few hours but then jumped to 180 and that's when I wrapped it in foil. I used water and Worcestershire to make a wrapping juice (a bit inspired after I realized that can on beef broth was in fact veggie broth).

At the six hour mark I hit 205 and put it in the cooler for two more hours. During that time I cooked some corn bread in the PBC in a cast-iron skillet.

I'll be honest, the brisket was amazing. It tasted so good and it was so tender and juicy. The bark had great flavor despite my-in-the jar concerns. Everyone loved it.

The pics go in this order: In the package, pre trim, post trim, the trimmings, in the PBC, the point right before slicing, the first slice, and the cornbread.

Thanks to all the guys and ladies here. Don't know if I ever would have confident enough to do this on my own.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1994.JPG
Views:	116
Size:	155.7 KB
ID:	215430 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1995.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	155.4 KB
ID:	215431 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1997.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	184.5 KB
ID:	215432 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1996.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	203.7 KB
ID:	215434 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1999.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	215433 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2005.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	188.3 KB
ID:	215435 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2006.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	178.3 KB
ID:	215436 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2003.JPG
Views:	94
Size:	160.0 KB
ID:	215443 Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	122.5 KB
ID:	215438

Awesome!

Comment

That is a work of art and regardless of where it's posted, it's still beautiful!

Comment

Very well done.

Comment

Wow Obi-Dan. That cook looks amazing. I hope my first brisket on my new LSG comes out that good. Well done.

Lets keep the smoke coming.

Comment

• Obi-Dan
            Obi-Dan commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks Steve. I can't wait to see pics of when you do fire one up. I'm sure it will be great.

Terrific maiden voyage, Obi-Dan!

Comment

Beautiful!

Comment

Prime Packer and a PBC. How in the world are you supposed to screw that up???!!!

You did waaaay better than I did on my first "biscut."

Packers are $1.97/lb right now in town. All Select and nothing much under 15 pounds.

Way to go!!!!

Comment

• Obi-Dan
                Obi-Dan commented
                Editing a comment
                Yeah, I thought buying Prime would hedge my bets on the first one.

Your brisket is beautiful. I would gladly eat some of that! Congratulations.

Comment

Nice looking brisket! Now I want a PBC ...

Comment

What a spectacular cook! I bet the leftovers are delicious too. Congrats!

Kathryn

Comment

• Obi-Dan
                    Obi-Dan commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks Kathryn. And I should add a special thanks to you. Your info on lighting the PBC has really been helpful.

Nice!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jerod Broussard View Post
                    Prime Packer and a PBC. How in the world are you supposed to screw that up???!!!

You did waaaay better than I did on my first "biscut."

Packers are $1.97/lb right now in town. All Select and nothing much under 15 pounds.

Way to go!!!!
                    Wow. Untrimmed packers here are 6 bucks a pound.... I love them, but it gets costly doing them often...

Comment

That brisket looks amazing!!!

Comment

Awesome results for a first brisket. I'm hungry and a little jealous!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here