Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Celebrating the 4th of July with Bone-In Whole Beef Ribs! And Pork Ribs. And Brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Celebrating the 4th of July with Bone-In Whole Beef Ribs! And Pork Ribs. And Brisket

Well, over here at #theRibList, we've been readying for the 4th, with preparation and joy. Our planned extravagance for the 4th of July Celebration with friends involved, my absolute favorite: Beef Ribs!!!

First up, Wednesday June 29, we cooked for a party for my Nephew's going away to Rome for 4 years as part of his training as a priest. On the menu: 3 Beautiful Briskets! All with the world-famous, 3BR (my shorthand for Big Bad Beef Rub from our beloved Meathead

This pic...wow!

​Oh, I got ahead of myself. Well, before it looked that That Hunk of Beef Wonderful, it looked like this: (the two on the left are a large packer, flat nearer to us and point away...oh, I can't wait to slice up that Huge Point!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9565.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	193.4 KB
ID:	191858

Then this

Name:	IMG_9566.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	248.3 KB
ID:	191861

Then this.

Name:	IMG_9579.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	273.6 KB
ID:	191863

Here is Levi, sharing what he's doing in his Priestly training (you learn to stand on the ceiling in Priest school)

Name:	IMG_9583.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	191857

And his dad, Frank. You should def check out Frank's incredible glass art at FrankThompson.com - what a great guy and incredible talent!

They loved the brisket...LOVED IT! Here are my beloved Point Slices

Name:	IMG_9597.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	201.2 KB
ID:	191862

Oh, and My Box Full of Patriotism Displays came in...a 4th of July Shirt for every day of the week!

Name:	IMG_9571.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	205.9 KB
ID:	191859
    Attached Files

Next: Beef Ribs Practice!

Finding Great, Whole Bone-In Beef Short Ribs is not easy. I just bought a case from the wholesaler. I'm a Super-Patriotic fella, so it was sun to splurge with the 55 pound case of $5.85 a pound Beef Rib Joy!

Name:	IMG_9525.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	183.4 KB
ID:	191869

The Cutting Board Pic

Name:	IMG_9516.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	183.2 KB
ID:	191872

Marbling is fantastic!

Name:	IMG_9519.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	215.2 KB
ID:	191871

Onto the Jambo with a clean Hickory fire, sharing grate space with some Spare Ribs.

Name:	image_22637.jpg
Size:	265.8 KB
ID:	191870

A little while later...

Name:	IMG_9529.JPG
Size:	227.7 KB
ID:	191873

Looking done!

Name:	IMG_9531 (2).jpg
Size:	260.6 KB
ID:	191874

I cooked the thinner ones from the pack that I opened. The thickest of the 3 could have used another 45 minutes to finish the render, but the dinner guests were ready to eat. This pic...Wow!

Name:	IMG_9552.JPG
Size:	134.5 KB
ID:	191877

The small meat on the bottoms of the ribs were so wonderfully tasty! My fav

Name:	IMG_9549.JPG
Size:	152.4 KB
ID:	191876

Comment

Great cooks, great pics! Kudos!

Comment

Next, Friday, July 1, Chicken and Baby Back's for a friend's party. He's one of the teaching doc's at the Family Practice Residency program in my town. He's a Jesus-guy like me, and throws a party for all the residents at his cool place, and wanted them to feel the love! So, 150+ Chicken Legs, 150+ Chicken Thighs, and 10 racks of Baby Backs! Chicken on the #WhoDat1, which is acting funny, bye the way. There's an air leak somewhere in the firebox I need to investigate. Ribs on the Jambo, with my apprentice on fire duty. He got way overheated, didn't drink any water until it was late, so he got sick, and I came home and picked up the work. It all worked out.

Name:	IMG_9623.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	261.5 KB
ID:	191887

Name:	IMG_9627.JPG
Size:	148.4 KB
ID:	191888

Here is me and the host! They loved the food.

Name:	IMG_9633.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	199.5 KB
ID:	191886

Here are the stars of the show. They were cooked to great doneness and were wonderful!

Name:	IMG_9640.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	260.3 KB
ID:	191890

Super happy with them! 4th of July weekend is starting off right!

Name:	IMG_9655.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	226.2 KB
ID:	191889

Comment

WOWZERS! That was one serious 4th of July cook! It just keep going and going!

Comment

• PaulstheRibList
            PaulstheRibList commented
            Editing a comment
            And going, and going...I didn't take pics of the Friday Chicken, nor the Monday Burgers, glazed with some good ole' Blues Hog and Swamp Boys mix! And, thanks to Thermapen, not overcooked!

Now for the Main Event!

We got the rest of the case of ribs out on Saturday Afternoon for a little carving and salting action! My best bud from Austin spent the weekend with us, and his son got to practice his Barbecue Prep Skills!

Name:	IMG_9684.JPG
Size:	161.6 KB
ID:	191898

This, my friends, is what is called #SuperBeautiful Stuff!

Name:	IMG_9689.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	243.5 KB
ID:	191900

This is interesting: Look at the difference in the marbling between the most and least marbled ribs from the case. Even the least marbled looks great!

Name:	IMG_9685.JPG
Size:	196.8 KB
ID:	191902

I cooked 3 of them on Saturday Afternoon, pulled them before bed, and put them in the warming tray in my oven for afternoon snack Sunday. I meant to weigh them afterwards, to see what the yeild % was...which I obviously forgot to do.

Name:	IMG_9683.JPG
Size:	148.3 KB
ID:	191899

They look pretty good, don't you think?

Name:	IMG_9698.JPG
Size:	225.0 KB
ID:	191901

Big batch went on Monday Morning, about 8 am. All but 6 of them fit on the Jambo. Other 6 were on LilTex. All smoking on a really clean Hickory fire. Jambo ran about 275-300 at the thermometer.

Name:	IMG_9705.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	262.3 KB
ID:	191903

Name:	IMG_9708.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	285.5 KB
ID:	191905

Now they're looking good! Probing tender and around 200-205. Probing and checking Bone-In Beef Short Ribs is a learning curve for me. They are not all the same size, nor the same marbling. When eating, I noticed that at least 1 of these could have been cooked a little more. Maybe it was the 3 that had less marbling? The less rendered/tender ones were still good, but not as great as the rest!

Name:	IMG_9714.JPG
Size:	293.6 KB
ID:	191907

Here's my friend, Mike. I think he likes it!

Name:	IMG_9718.JPG
Size:	144.8 KB
ID:	191904

And here are Sam and I, standing on our Glorious Field of Victory!

Name:	IMG_9730.JPG
Size:	203.4 KB
ID:	191909

(Sam actually levitating upside down on the field of victory.)

Name:	IMG_9727.JPG
Size:	205.0 KB
ID:	191908
          Attached Files

Comment

We packed up the ribs, and my big Charcoal Grill, GrillMeister, and headed over to my friend Kevin's house, where I am grilling 40, 6 oz Burgers I showed my bud's son how to weigh, shape and prep, and dogs. And slicing up these gorgeous Beef Ribs!

That grill is Heavy!!! And my new trailer doesn't have a ramp yet; I'm building it and it's not made it to the project done list yet.

Here are those Beef Ribs!!!

Name:	IMG_9723.JPG
Size:	259.1 KB
ID:	191920

Name:	IMG_9732.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	229.1 KB
ID:	191921

Name:	IMG_9724.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	285.0 KB
ID:	191922

Now I'm getting to slicing! And sampling. And sharing samples. And enjoying the expression of Joy on my friend's faces.

Name:	IMG_9736.JPG
Size:	201.5 KB
ID:	191919

Name:	IMG_9741.JPG
Size:	232.9 KB
ID:	191917

Can't you just taste that beautifully rendered fat!!!

Name:	IMG_9743.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	223.2 KB
ID:	191918

Oh yeah!

Name:	IMG_9748-2.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	442.3 KB
ID:	191924

This is a few of the main hunks of meat on the rib, sliced in grab-sized bites. Love it!

Name:	IMG_9750.JPG
Size:	174.1 KB
ID:	191923

Name:	IMG_9774-2.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	446.0 KB
ID:	191925

These Awesome 4th of July Plates make the Perfect end to my 4th of July Barbecue Sharing with you, my Pit Friends!

I'm proud and grateful to live in America. What a great country!

If you would like, I invite you to check out my newest project to Tell and Expand the American Story of Freedom at www.FreedomIsBetter.com, where I shared some thoughts about the 4th of July.

Name:	IMG_9662.JPG
Size:	182.0 KB
ID:	191926

Comment

Man great Holiday, great friends, great cooking - grilling- smoking- You are the MAN!

Comment

I gots to get some good beef short ribs.

Nice pics. And I surely do not envy who ever had to place the letters on that sign having to do that on a really tall sign at the church I attended in Nacogdoches Texas about 14 years ago.

Comment

Nice cooks for sure. Beautiful pictures too.👍

Comment

Unreal post and pictures. You've done good this past weekend! Good on you and that Jambo!

Comment

That's the way to "gitter dun"!!!! Congrats on great cooks!

Comment

What I did learn cooking a dozen ribs on the same cooker is that they are NOT all done at the same time. That little resistance with the thermapen in probing them is the sign, I think.

Can't wait to learn more on my next batch!

Comment

Awesome cook and cool Knife

Comment

Awesome beef ribs PaulstheRibList! I usually cook short ribs in the full racks, but it takes a while. How long did your cook take
                            with the ribs separated?

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here