Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse

2021 Meat-Up In Memphis Canceled - Rescheduled for March 2022

We've unfortunately had to cancel the 2021 Meat-Up in Memphis. We are rescheduling for March 18-20, 2022. More details and re-booking info coming soon! For now click here for more info.
See more
See less

Pulled Beef first attempt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Darchie03
    Club Member
    • Feb 2016
    • In the desert of southern AZ. about 8 miles from a small town.
    • From the old troll, Dave

Pulled Beef first attempt

I started this post earlier but with the delay in posting thought I should start a new post. Finally here are the rest of the photos. I could not get them to go above 202 dg. even tho I raised the cooking chamber to 260 from 225. 21/2 hrs at 260 & the temp did not rise I have know idea why. Total cook time was13hrs & 45 min. (finished cook at 9: PM it was for Tue. not Mon. the day of the cook) they pulled very easy & finished item tastes pretty darn good. What does every one think? Also does anyone have an idea about the temp problem I had? this was my first attempt at pulled Beef.
    Dave
  • CeramicChef
    Former Member
    • Jul 2014
    • OKC, OK

I don't know about the temp problem, but there sure as the world is no problem with how tasty those look! Nice cook. Congrats and kudos to you!

Comment

• Bob's BBQ
    Club Member
    • Jan 2016
    • Wisconsin

Looks really good. I'd eat that!

Comment

• Darchie03
      Darchie03 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you, Bob's BBQ, all that tasted it loved it I have created a monster they all want more
  • fuzzydaddy
    Charter Member
    • Nov 2014
    • Winchester TN
    • Hardware
      Blackstone 36” Griddle.
      Slow 'N Sear Deluxe Kamado & Kettle Grill.
      Slow 'N Sear (1.0, Deluxe, 2.0).
      DnG Pans/Racks, Easy Spin Grates, Elevated Cooking Grates.
      Weber Chimney Starters (regular and compact).
      Joule, Instant Accu Slim.
      GrillGrates.
      Maverick XR-50 [my favorite].
      ThermoWorks Smoke & Gateway, Thermapen, Thermapop, ChefAlarms, DOT, probes

Consumables / Favorites
      KBB (short cooks), Weber (long cooks), B&B Hardwood Briquettes when I'm out of Weber.
      Ribs (beef & pork), Pork Butts, Chuck Roasts, Pork Tenderloins, Shrimp, Fajitas.
      SnS Grills salt free rubs: Not Just for Beef & Rocky’s Rub.
      MeatChurch Holy Cow. MMD, BBBR, S&G, Herbs de Provence, SPG.

Your pulled beef looks amazing. When I have weird meat temp readings I do 2 things. Relocate the probe in the meat. Also test the probe after the cook - boiling water test.

Comment

• Darchie03
      Darchie03 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks fuzzydaddy, I did move the probe several times as there were 3 slabs also used thermo pops & all were within 1dg. at the cool est point

• fuzzydaddy
      fuzzydaddy commented
      Editing a comment
      Darchie03 sounds like you covered the bases. Hope you enjoyed the pulled beef.
  • Mosca
    Charter Member
    • Oct 2014
    • PA
    • Large Big Green Egg, Weber Performer Deluxe, Weber Smokey Joe Silver, Maverick 732, DigiQ, and too much other stuff to mention.

I don't think the temp matters, the only reason you go there is to make it tender and pull-able. Since it pulled, then the temperature was fine, whatever it was.

Good cook, I'd say.

Comment

• RonB
    Club Member
    • Apr 2016
    • Near Richmond VA
    • Weber Performer Deluxe
      SNS
      Pizza insert
      Rotisserie
      Smokenator 1000
      Cookshack Smokette Elite
      2 Thermapens
      Chefalarm
      Dot
      lots of probes.
      CyberQ

I think you bought the low temp beef instead of the high temp beef. Low temp has a hard time going over 200*. But whatever - yours look very good.

Comment

• Darchie03
      Darchie03 commented
      Editing a comment
      RonB, Thank you & next time I will ask for the medium or High temp beef but I don't have a real butcher shop with in about 150 mi. so it may be hard to get.
      Dave

• Danjohnston949
      Danjohnston949 commented
      Editing a comment
      RonB, Darchie03, 😉 If BS were Bugles the Whole Orchestra Would Play!😇 From Fargo ND, Dan
  • HorseDoctor
    Charter Member
    • Sep 2014
    • Central Iowa

I'm firmly convinced that final temp is nowhere nearly as important as the length of time spent above the temp that collagen melts at a decent rate (~ 190F). If you hold in that ballpark long enough it will be pullable even if you never get as high as you think you should.

Comment

• Thunder77
    Founding Member
    • Jul 2014
    • Halethorpe, MD
    • Weber 26.75" Kettle with SnS. Broil King Baron 5 burner. Akorn Kamado, and Akorn Jr kamado. Primo Oval Junior. Love grilling steaks, ribs, and chicken. Need to master smoked salmon Favorite cool weather beer: Sam Adams Octoberfest Favorite warm weather beer: Yuengling Traditional Lager All-time favorite drink: Single Malt Scotch

I think you hit a grand slam out of the park! Remember, the taste is the test. If everyone asks for more, it's a success!! 👍

Comment

• fzxdoc
    Founding Member
    • Jul 2014
    • My toys:
      Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling Center (WSCGC) aka Mr. Fancypants
      Pit Barrel Cooker (which rocks), named Pretty Baby
      Weber Summit S650 Gas Grill, named Hot 'n Fast (used mostly for searing and griddling)
      Weber Kettle Premium 22" named Kettle Kid, eager to horn in with more cooks in the future
      Camp Chef Somerset IV 4-burner outdoor gas range named AfterBurner due to its 30kBTU burners

Adrenaline BBQ Company Gear:
      SnS, DnG, andLarge Charcoal Basket, for WSCGC
      SnS for 22" Kettle
      Elevated SS Rack for WSCGC
      SS Rack for DnG
      Cast Iron Griddle
      Grill Grate for SnS
      Grill Grates: five 17.375 sections (retired to storage)
      Grill Grates: six 19.25 panels for exact fit for Summit S650 gasser
      2 Grill Grate Griddles
      Steelmade Griddle for Summit gas grill

Fireboard Gear:
      Extreme BBQ Thermometer Package
      Additional control unit
      Additional probes: Competition Probes 1" (3) and 4" (1), 3 additional Ambient Probes. 1 additional Food Probe
      2 Driver Cables
      Pit Viper Fan (to pair with Fireboard Fan Driver Cable)
      Pit Viper Fan new design (to pair with Fireboard Fan Driver Cable)
      Thermoworks Gear:
      Thermapen MK4 (pink)
      Thermapen Classic (pink too)
      Thermoworks MK4 orange
      Temp Test 2 Smart Thermometer
      Extra Big and Loud Timer
      Timestick Trio
      Maverick ET 73 a little workhorse with limited range
      Maverick ET 733
      Maverick (Ivation) ET 732

Grill Pinz
      Vortex (two of them)

Two Joule Sous Vide devices
      VacMaster Pro 350 Vacuum Sealer

Instant Pot 6 Quart Electric Pressure Cooker
      Instant Pot 10 Quart Electric Pressure Cooker

Charcoal Companion TurboQue
      A-Maze-N tube 12 inch tube smoker accessory for use with pellets

BBQ Dragon and Dragon Chimney

Shun Classic Series:
      8" Chef Knife
      6" Chef's Knife
      Gokujo Boning and Fillet Knife
      3 1/2 inch Paring Knife

Wow, that pulled beef looks delicious. Pretty smoke ring too. Congrats, Darchie03 !

Kathryn

Comment

• Darchie03
      Darchie03 commented
      Editing a comment
      fzxdoc, Thank you Kathryn.
      Dave
  • Craigar
    Founding Member
    • Jul 2014
    • Papillion, NE
    • * - Weber 26.75" OTG
      * - Weber 22.5" Premium cloaked in Crimson
      * - Slow 'N Sear
      * - Smoke E-Z - 26.75" (The Grain Silo)
      * - Lodge Sportsman Grill
      * - Weber Rapid Fire Chimney Starter
      * - Thermoworks ThermoPop
      * - Thermoworks Dot
      * - iGrill2 - 4 probes
      * - Favorite Beer - the cold one in my hand (craft beers of all flavors; haven't had a blue yummy in over 6 years) my tastes change with the season so it is difficult to name just a couple. However, I will occasionally have a vanilla porter float in the summer (Empyrean Vanilla Porter w/a scoop of homemade vanilla ice cream) as I usually drink stouts & porters in the colder months, pale ales & IPAs in the warmer months. I have to add Not Your Father's Root Beer to beers I use for floats.
      * - Booze - I don't really have a favorite, but lean towards single malt Scotch & Irish whiskey
      * - Wines - Reds: mainly the heavy stuff mixed in with the occasional pinot noir ( I have yet to meet a malbec I didn't like); Whites: German & Nebraska (hey, I have to support the home team)
      * - Favorite Spice outlets - Frisco Spices in LaVista, NE (the local butcher supply shop); Volcanic Peppers in Bellevue, NE
      * - Current butchers: Just Good Meats & Fareway Foods

Nailed it! When I have the time I will dry brine up to 48 hours, wrap them in foil, shove them in a zip lock bag and toss them into the freezer. They will be in the freezer until rock hard, usually 2-3 days, once they were in the freezer for about 3 months, but that is a different story. I tend to cook a little hotter at 275, and they turn out great every time along with a killer smoke ring.

Comment

• Craigar
      Craigar commented
      Editing a comment
      No defrosting necessary, straight to the smoker. It helps produce a killer smoke ring.

• Darchie03
      Darchie03 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you Craigar

• Craigar
      Craigar commented
      Editing a comment
      A lot of it has to do with timing. Most of the time wife shops a week ahead so I just go ahead and prep them over the next couple days. When it is time to cook you can go directly from the freezer to smoker.

Announcement

Collapse

2021 Meat-Up In Memphis Canceled - Rescheduled for March 2022

We've unfortunately had to cancel the 2021 Meat-Up in Memphis. We are rescheduling for March 18-20, 2022. More details and re-booking info coming soon! For now click here for more info.
See more
See less
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Meat-Up in Memphis