Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pulled Beef first attempt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pulled Beef first attempt

I started this post earlier but with the delay in posting thought I should start a new post. Finally here are the rest of the photos. I could not get them to go above 202 dg. even tho I raised the cooking chamber to 260 from 225. 21/2 hrs at 260 & the temp did not rise I have know idea why. Total cook time was13hrs & 45 min. (finished cook at 9: PM it was for Tue. not Mon. the day of the cook) they pulled very easy & finished item tastes pretty darn good. What does every one think? Also does anyone have an idea about the temp problem I had? this was my first attempt at pulled Beef.
    Dave

I don't know about the temp problem, but there sure as the world is no problem with how tasty those look! Nice cook. Congrats and kudos to you!

Comment

Looks really good. I'd eat that!

Comment

• Darchie03
      Darchie03 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you, Bob's BBQ, all that tasted it loved it I have created a monster they all want more

Your pulled beef looks amazing. When I have weird meat temp readings I do 2 things. Relocate the probe in the meat. Also test the probe after the cook - boiling water test.

Comment

• Darchie03
      Darchie03 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks fuzzydaddy, I did move the probe several times as there were 3 slabs also used thermo pops & all were within 1dg. at the cool est point

• fuzzydaddy
      fuzzydaddy commented
      Editing a comment
      Darchie03 sounds like you covered the bases. Hope you enjoyed the pulled beef.

I don't think the temp matters, the only reason you go there is to make it tender and pull-able. Since it pulled, then the temperature was fine, whatever it was.

Good cook, I'd say.

Comment

I think you bought the low temp beef instead of the high temp beef. Low temp has a hard time going over 200*. But whatever - yours look very good.

Comment

• Darchie03
      Darchie03 commented
      Editing a comment
      RonB, Thank you & next time I will ask for the medium or High temp beef but I don't have a real butcher shop with in about 150 mi. so it may be hard to get.
      Dave

• Danjohnston949
      Danjohnston949 commented
      Editing a comment
      RonB, Darchie03, 😉 If BS were Bugles the Whole Orchestra Would Play!😇 From Fargo ND, Dan

I'm firmly convinced that final temp is nowhere nearly as important as the length of time spent above the temp that collagen melts at a decent rate (~ 190F). If you hold in that ballpark long enough it will be pullable even if you never get as high as you think you should.

Comment

I think you hit a grand slam out of the park! Remember, the taste is the test. If everyone asks for more, it's a success!! 👍

Comment

Wow, that pulled beef looks delicious. Pretty smoke ring too. Congrats, Darchie03 !

Kathryn

Comment

• Darchie03
      Darchie03 commented
      Editing a comment
      fzxdoc, Thank you Kathryn.
      Dave

Nailed it! When I have the time I will dry brine up to 48 hours, wrap them in foil, shove them in a zip lock bag and toss them into the freezer. They will be in the freezer until rock hard, usually 2-3 days, once they were in the freezer for about 3 months, but that is a different story. I tend to cook a little hotter at 275, and they turn out great every time along with a killer smoke ring.

Comment

• Craigar
      Craigar commented
      Editing a comment
      No defrosting necessary, straight to the smoker. It helps produce a killer smoke ring.

• Darchie03
      Darchie03 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you Craigar

• Craigar
      Craigar commented
      Editing a comment
      A lot of it has to do with timing. Most of the time wife shops a week ahead so I just go ahead and prep them over the next couple days. When it is time to cook you can go directly from the freezer to smoker.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here