Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brisket rub with Lawry"s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brisket rub with Lawry"s

At least, it looks good. Overcooked, but the Misses likes it that way. Over seasoned but that can be scrapped off. Wie and Son rated it 8/10, me 5 or 6.
    I tried paper wrap rather than foil. Should have used foil.
    The season was very tasty. 1/2 C pepper, 3T salt, 3T Lawry's, 1T garlic
    I tend to over-season, my bad. I will use this homemade rub again.
    On my pellet grill, I cooked the fat side down, but then I wrapped and cooked the fat side up.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0431.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.35 MB ID:	1485420
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0434.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.82 MB ID:	1485421

What is missing? . . PBR but SWMBO does not agree.
    Last edited by bbqLuv; September 27, 2023, 05:13 PM.

It looks dry. I injected the flat of the one I did today with beef broth. This is the result I got.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0184.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	1485431
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0185.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	1485432

Comment

• bbqLuv
      bbqLuv commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, this was the first time I did not inject with beef broth. It was dry

Were you cooking select, choice or prime? If it was select that could be the issue. Select probably benefits more from wrapping in foil. My last cook was choice. I have never cooked prime and I avoid select.

Comment

• bbqLuv
      bbqLuv commented
      Editing a comment
      select if I remember right. It did have a huge deckle and other surface fat.
      All I can say is "live and learn".

By over seasoned, do you mean too much salt? Your seasoning recipe adds salt and garlic to seasoned salt (Lawry's) which is already mostly salt but also contains garlic powder. Did you dry-brine or just season on cook day? Did you hold the wrapped brisket for a couple of hours? Not sure how to remedy the overcooked scenario if your wife likes it that way. Maybe separate the point and flat? Cook one the way she likes it and the other to your liking.

Comment

• bbqLuv
      bbqLuv commented
      Editing a comment
      The seasoning was overpowering. The bark had a sharp bite. That was the flat.
      The point not so much.

Karma from the pumpkin spice burnt ends caught up with you.

Comment

I know there is the debate as to whether to cook fat side up or down. Both approaches seem to produce good results. I buy into Meathead argument that the fat side up rendering of the fat never goes in to the meat. I do fat side down under the theory that it protects the meat from excessive heat. Does it keep the meat from drying out? I don’t really know for sure. You could run some experiments of your brisket cooks and report back to us. Here’s a note on cooking select. Snow’s BBQ in Lexington, Texas is regularly ranked in the Texas Monthly’s top fifty and often in the top ten. Their brisket is good, but the real claim to fame IMHO is that they cook select. Iv’e been there and they wrap in foil. Wishing you a great next brisket cook.

Comment

• DogFaced PonySoldier
        DogFaced PonySoldier commented
        Editing a comment
        I think it mostly depends on the direction of your heat source. For instance, he said he was on a pellet grill, in which case the heat is from the bottom. I have done fat side up in the pellet pooper and ended up with a crispy, overcooked bottom. On my stickburner, which I am using today, the heat comes from the top, so I would do fat side UP. That's my position, anyways.

• LA Pork Butt
        LA Pork Butt commented
        Editing a comment
        DogFaced PonySoldier That’s a great point! I cook on a Big Green Egg with the heat source from below, and I always cook fat side down.

So what in this method are you thinking about changing for your next brisket cook? I bet you've got some good ideas.

I'm guessing it was a better cook than you give it credit for. In the first place, wife and son rate it high. That counts for a lot. In the second place, the Pitmaster almost always finds that the food tastes better the next day when she or he has not been at the cooker off and on for several hours, breathing in the smoke and getting covered with smoke scent. I bet you'll like that brisket better today.

Thanks for sharing your cook with us!

Kathryn

Comment

• bbqLuv
        bbqLuv commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you for the encouragement

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here