Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Today's pastrami will be much better.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Today's pastrami will be much better.

i figured out what went wrong on Sunday. Plain and simple, I rushed it because we had to be somewhere. And barbecue is like a bulldog, you can't tell it what to do. If you try, it just sits down wherever it is and stops.

Todays cook will be outstanding.

Two 5 poundish briskets. They were both advertised as flats, but the front one is about 25% point, and the back one is about 50% point! I put some foil at the edges of the platesetter to help protect the roasts there.

Good luck! I can't wait to see the finished product! I am starting the desalination process this evening on a small hunk of corned beef with the intention of tossing it on the smoker on Saturday.

Comment

I so need to do some more pastrami. I have a 17 pounder to cook this week that could probably give 8 pounds worth of flat.

Comment

Mid stall, looking good. We have all the time in the world.

Comment

10 hours, meat is at about 160. Patience is required now.

Comment

Looking good, this is the best recipe on the site.

Comment

13 hours and still only 190, and not tender enough to pull. I gotta start doing these suckers at 275 instead of 250, or else get them on before 7AM, or start them at midnight. I have to work tomorrow morning!

Comment

Righteous.

Comment

Beautiful! Pastrami for breakfast!

Comment

I think you nailed it this time!

Comment

This is quite possibly the best thing I have ever made. I took one roast to work, my friend John brought some home made rye bread.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                        Jerod Broussard commented
                        Editing a comment
                        It really is beyond amazing. Kids were gobbling it up without bread....just bare.

• Craigar
                        Craigar commented
                        Editing a comment
                        BOOM!!! That looks wonderful. Congratulations on a great smoke! I hope mine turns out half that good this weekend.

Most flavor- and spice-packed piece of standalone meat a person can make I do think.

Comment

Wowza, gorgeous pastramis, Mosca. The photos of the plates in the process of being emptied one slice at a time says it all.

Did you steam them at all?

Kathryn.

Comment

Originally posted by fzxdoc View Post
                          Wowza, gorgeous pastramis, Mosca. The photos of the plates in the process of being emptied one slice at a time says it all.

Did you steam them at all?

Kathryn.
                          Thanks fzxdoc !

No, I didn't steam them. It just wasn't working out for steaming. What I did was, I treated them just like brisket. I foiled and toweled them, but since I was going to bed, instead of cambroing I put them in the refrigerator.

The reason I did this was: I've been reading and reading. And one thing I read says that it is the time over 180* that renders the collagen. Not necessarily the temperature, but the time. So, thinking about how everything makes sense, (at the same time not knowing if what I wrote is true), then cooking to 203* increases the amount of time over 180*. And so does f/t/c. (And in some cuts of meat collagen might render faster, so the reports of wagyu and Kobe briskets being done at lower temps would fit into that hypothesis as well.) So if we aren't serving the meat at 3AM, then I can f/t/r(efrigerate) and get as much benefit of over 180* as is possible, without having to get up at 3AM to refrigerate.

And this was truly spectacular, especially the point. It fell apart but didn't crumble, it had enough juiciness to stain the paper plate. Absolutely one of the best things I've ever made, maybe the best.

Comment

• Huskee
                            Huskee commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Nice work. And it's good cold out of the fridge too!

Congrats on a successful cook Mosca

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here