Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Birthday Chuck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Birthday Chuck

Well, folks, instead of my family taking me out for my birthday, I offered to have a little BBQ bash here at home. On the main menu today is smoked chuck. 5lbs of it. It's the first time I've done chuck so I'm keeping a log of everything to see how it goes.

The chuck did a dry brine for 3 days and just hit the grill. Using my kettle + SnS. Started at about an hour ago. Directly under the meat is a tray of Kentucky Bourbon BBQ Beans.

If anyone has any tips, toss them in!

Man, it is freezing outside. I was worried I'd have trouble with the temperature. But that SnS is just killing it out there.

Comment

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! The colder it is out the better they run!

My tip: Dont burn the beans. : )

Comment

Super Fun! Happy Birthday

Comment

LamityGrille enjoy your chuckie cook and your birthday...Oh btw...HAPPY BIRTHDAY

Comment

Thanks, folks!

Yesterday, I was telling my wife how I was going to get up at 5:30 to start the chuckies and she says "Since it's your birthday, do you want me to get up and smoke them?"

I got all excited. But as soon as I said yes, she got this look of pure horror, since she's never used the grill in the entire 6 years we've been together, and goes "Oh god, I was just kidding! I thought you'd say no!"

LOL.

So, up at 5:30. But that's fine. I got to enjoy a pot of coffee and some amazing smoke smells all by myself before the baby woke up and demanded breakfast.

Comment

Happy Birthday, chickies are my new favorite BBQ.

Comment

If you want to pull it take it HIGH.

Recipe here

Comment

Hit the stall at about 151 and finally got through it. Ended up wrapping it at 170 and the temp climbed way faster than I expected. Hit 207 about 20 minutes ago. So, now I'm just keep it around that temp for awhile. Took a look at the meat to make sure there was still plenty of juice in the foil and to see how tender the meat was. It looked and felt great. I really can't wait to eat!

Here's a shot of the meat from just prior to wrapping it. Not as much bark as I usually get on a cook, but that's ok. I knew this was going to be a time crunch so I anticipated not getting the kind of bark I usually get. Will update again after it's pulled.

Comment

Yummy for the tummy.

Comment

LamityGrille, Just How Cold Was It! Beautiful Looking Chuck! Happy Birthday! Regards the Wife, 43 Years Experience, keep Her Guessing!
                      Eat Well and Prosper! From Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

I bet that chuck was delicious!

Comment

Is it done yet? Pics where's the pics?

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                            Jerod Broussard commented
                            Editing a comment
                            He said you'll have to wait 36 hours. Might as well make a burger.

Yes. We want pics!

Comment

Sorry for the delay, folks! By the time I was shredding it, my family arrived and we started eating. I made the Kentucky Bourbon Beans and Meathead's Crack 'N Cheese to go along with it.

The chuck fell right apart. I've never had anything pull that easy. I thought I was going to have to use my bear claws to pull it, but I picked it up to take it out of the foil and it just fell apart. It was pretty fantastic.

Here are some pictures of the meal.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here