Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Request for help/suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Request for help/suggestions

Got a whole packer brisket for the tailgate Saturday. 15.8lbs from Sam's Club. Kickoff is 3:30 and tailgate starts around 11:30 to noon. 2.5 hrs. travel time depending on traffic. Cooking on a BGE. Here is my question /concern. When to start and should i just plan on letting it run all night? I can be paranoid as heck and that would mean me sleeping in the chair and getting up every 2 hrs. or so to check temp, etc.

My goal would be to take it off, put in dry cooler and slice at the tailgate to have the best/freshest cook.

I like your plan. Let that sucker rest during the drive double wrapped in foil and towels in the cooler and it should be great! I’d just have everything ready to go so that you put it in the vehicle and you are off for fun.

Comment

• ofelles
      ofelles commented
      Editing a comment
      What he said.

Several ways to do this. Wrap or not. Rest in the kitchen oven or in a beer cooler. I like to cook w/o wrapping. Dry brine the day before. If it stays in the stall too long you can wrap. Prime or choice? Chances are it is choice. I just pulled one at 2am and put in the oven at 170 til morning and it was the bomb. Meatheads red beef rub! Tender moist n delish. Save some of the tallow from the cook to wrap be fore you put in the oven. Longer the rest, the better.
    That should eliminate your stress.

Comment

As long as you can keep the meat above 140°, you should be OK. Some here have held briskets 10 + hours and I have heard that some restaurants hold 'em overnight.

I'd shoot for done late Friday night and hold in the oven set at it's lowest temp, (Most have lowest temp ~ 170°). Then all you have to do is put it in the cooler for the ride to it's final resting place.

Comment

I cook on a Large BGE and thatn15 pounder will be a tight fit if that is what you are cooking on. You have two choices. One would be to separate the point and the flat and cook on two levels, which would be my choice, or try to fit in on by putting a wood chunk in the center of the brisket. I would cook it at 225 and let it run all night for 12 hours to an internal temp of 200. I would plan on it resting wrapped in a faux cambro for 2-4 hours. Allow 1 hour to get your BGE up to cooking temp. That’s a total of 17 hours. So, I would light would my egg at 7:00pm to serve for noon the next day. I do overnight cooks like that all the time with no problem. Things should be fine unless your have frequent guesting winds. One last suggestion, put down one layer of large charcoal, followed by a layer of medium, and topped with a layer of small charcoal. That should fill up then fire bowl and cook for at least 20 hours. Have fun! Your brisket will be the hit of the tailgate party!

Comment

I have had great success holding briskets in my oven set to "warm" for up to 12 hours. Once it comes off the smoker, I wrap in butcher paper brushed with beef tallow rendered from the trimmings to keep it moist. My oven on "warm" will hold the brisket between 150 and 160 no problem. Since I have gone to the long hold for briskets, I've set a 20 hour time budget for start to finish. For example, if i am going to be slicing and serving the brisket at 6PM for supper, it goes into the smoker at 10PM the night before. If the brisket is done in 8 hours, it holds in the oven for 12 hours. If it takes 12 hours in the smoker, it holds in the oven for 8 hours. It's 20 hours of smoke+hold regardless of how that 20 hours plays out. It takes all the stress out of pushing an obstinate brisket to finish on time, plus I am now a firm believer in a long hold time for great brisket. If I was traveling with a brisket, I would still do the 20 hour time budget, just finish up with your travel time.

Comment

I used RonB method on a brisket last month on my BKK.
            Put the brisket on at 7PM, smoked at 260ish until midnight.
            Took it off and double wrapped in tin foil and put in the oven at 200 from 1am to 8 or 9am.
            Let it rest until noon when we carved it up.
            All said it was one of my better efforts.
            It did not last long.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here