Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoked Bologna: Stuffed w/ cheese, burnt ends, etc?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoked Bologna: Stuffed w/ cheese, burnt ends, etc?

Hey everyone,

Looking for suggestions, recipes and techniques please.

I'm interested in trying smoking some bologna. I've seen Myron cut out a plus and stuff it w/ paper jack. I've see others just smoke, slice and make sandwiches, what looks best to me is burnt ends, as it allow more smoke, bark and caramelized sauce.

Have any of you done this? If so, how did it turn out? What are your recipes, techniques and suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
    JD

Click image for larger version

Name:	CC0F5F4B-7BF0-4E22-899A-1540E49D420E.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	152.5 KB
ID:	1296009 Click image for larger version

Name:	FD245F9B-754F-450F-9307-1DAD8D581EE5.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	154.5 KB
ID:	1296010 Click image for larger version

Name:	6F863719-18EE-4009-8594-C9450892E3A3.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	1296007 Click image for larger version

Name:	146D059E-C4C6-4B17-8EB2-2FFB2461B381.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	1296008 I fo it often. I like to slice it, hit with a pork rub then smoke. Then sammies with cole slaw. Carolina mustard bbq sauce as the condiment. Yum.

Comment

• Sid P
      Sid P commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks great. About how long do you smoke them?

• Jfrosty27
      Jfrosty27 commented
      Editing a comment
      Sid P I do them at 225 for about 60-90 min. Looking for color/light bark from the rub and warming the slices through.

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      I had some prepared like this just last week. Kinda like a spicy bologna hamburger! It was surprisingly good!

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200414_152506.jpg Views:	0 Size:	4.38 MB ID:	1296022

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200414_180641.jpg Views:	0 Size:	131.0 KB ID:	1296023

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200415_091024.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.88 MB ID:	1296024

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200415_092225.jpg Views:	0 Size:	359.2 KB ID:	1296025

Down at Cozy Corner in Memphis, they put sauce on their BBQ bologna, and I actually preferred their method to mine. If I were to do this again I'd sauce each slice before serving. Good luck!
    Last edited by mrteddyprincess; September 18, 2022, 03:09 PM.

Comment

• Jfrosty27
      Jfrosty27 commented
      Editing a comment
      I’m liking the look of that! Now that I have a decent griddle, I’m going to try it your way. 👍

• Bkhuna
      Bkhuna commented
      Editing a comment
      Make a mustard based slaw for the sandwich. Learned that from a BBQ restaurant in Memphis.

Thanks all!
    I’m going to try some smoked bologna burnt ends. Two flavors, regular barbecue rub & sauce and sweet & spicy.
    I’ll let you know.
    JD

Comment

• Jfrosty27
      Jfrosty27 commented
      Editing a comment
      Great idea! Can’t wait for the results.

I e done burnt ends a couple times now. What’s worked best for me was to cut them into bite sized chunks and coat with favorite rub, smoke low at 220 for an hour, then rotate each piece and go another hour, adjust times to your liking. When they get a nice amount of smoke and the rub is set, I glaze with a sweet glaze made with a fruit jam and bbq sauce mixture of 50/50. Keep glazing and turning until each piece is starting to brown and the glaze is set. This is what my daughter wanted served at her graduation party……out of everything she could have chosen she picks bologna burnt ends….😂😂😂

Comment

Originally posted by Dadof3Illinois View Post
      I e done burnt ends a couple times now. What’s worked best for me was to cut them into bite sized chunks and coat with favorite rub, smoke low at 220 for an hour, then rotate each piece and go another hour, adjust times to your liking. When they get a nice amount of smoke and the rub is set, I glaze with a sweet glaze made with a fruit jam and bbq sauce mixture of 50/50. Keep glazing and turning until each piece is starting to brown and the glaze is set. This is what my daughter wanted served at her graduation party……out of everything she could have chosen she picks bologna burnt ends….😂😂😂
      Nice!
      JD

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here