Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Beef to " Steak Out"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Beef to " Steak Out"

Posting here and not on the SUWYC channel to commence a commotion 😜.

That's not the case but ever since jfmorris pointed out how much our beef's appearance has the tone of pork it got me thinking. This is definitely the case if I compare the picture contrast in redness of US vs RSA beef.

Below is a pic of a T-bone that was reverse seared earlier today. No before photo, had no inkling I'd be posting this.
    Cooked to 45C indirect then seared over flaming hot coals turning every 15 sec's for about 2 minutes. Moved to indirect side and thermo read 49C. When I plated 5 or so minutes later it was 52C.
    You can see in the pic there is a uniform colour from outside to outside but looks nothing like the hue of US beef.
    The label stated it was A grade and perfectly matured. More often than not vac sealed indicate a 28 days matured.
    While eating I remember back in 2019 on his return from the States a local radio DJ (Roland, does the afternoon drive 3 to 7 on Algoa FM), told me he does not order steak's when he visits there. This was in response to my questioning whether he had visited any BBQ joints while there. I asked meaning more specifically about smoked meats. We were chatting over telegram and he was busy with the show so I left it at that without getting any other details.
    I gave little thought to his sentiments until Jim's comments and wondered just how different they could be. I often read how some dislike grass fed etc.
    After a very brief, limited dive into why this could be, my own conclusion is the breed, feed and climate are probably the reasons. I know that assessment is not rocket science.
    As to why Roland did not like the beef I can't account for.
    I have shared very few of my steak cooks because yours obviously look more "on point" in colour vs mine even though I know / knew I had the IT spot on.
    This all dawned on me again while eating and seeing the colour to doneness, hence taking the pic of the half eaten meat.
    The T-bone was honestly business class. Tender and tasty.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20220308_194547.jpg Views:	0 Size:	6.50 MB ID:	1186680

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG20220308192542.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.76 MB ID:	1186681
    Last edited by holehogg; March 8, 2022, 02:34 PM. Reason: Change coupler to "colour" because I try spell tings right. 😂

interesting

Comment

That picture looks more like 62C. Any chance your thermometer needs calibration?

Comment

• holehogg
        holehogg commented
        Editing a comment
        I do check them regularly and all are spot on. The thing is if it was cooked to a higher temp then surely there would be a thicker grey band around the outside.

• Draznnl
        Draznnl commented
        Editing a comment
        In that case, holehogg , the next issue I'd look at is the breed of the cattle.
        Last edited by Draznnl; March 9, 2022, 04:43 AM. Reason: Tag

I would pair that with PBR, or Foster's Lager

Comment

Red dye #40. Also US supermarkets hit their meat like ground beef with CO2 which turns myoglobin bright red. Americans love their red meat, artificial or not 👍

Comment

• Caffeine88
          Caffeine88 commented
          Editing a comment
          We do love red meat! CO2 should only impact the source, no? How to explain the difference in hue of the inner muscle fibers? I'm puzzled by this!

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          My guess is something to do with myoglobin and the way it bloomes in meat when exposed to the air. Why the SA meat does not is indeed a curiosity.

That’s a nice looking pork chop 🙃😁

Comment

Interesting, and I have to say that in my experience, meat cooked to less than 140F is much redder than meat cooked to 145F and above. But I do agree that breed of beef, diet, the cut in question, all that is certainly going to affect color. All that matters in the end is taste and tenderness.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here