Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to handle Prime Rib

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I never saw a prime rib with a foot, glad ya trimmed that off!

Comment

Thanks for all the advice folks! I ended up keeping it all in one piece. The smaller end wanted to run about 15 degrees ahead of the large end though, so when the small end hit 125, and the large end hit 110, I opened the kamado, and shifted the vents and messed with the SNS to get a sear zone going. That took me a few minutes and we had about 5 degrees carryover.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7279.JPEG Views:	0 Size:	1.22 MB ID:	1146200

Unfortunately, the carryover stopped and things started dropping before I got to searing, and it took me a while to get it up to 135 in the small end, at which point I considered the entire thing done. I couldn't sear it too long, so ended up opening all vents and moving back indirect but with the cooker at 450 until I got where I wanted after the sear.

All in all the results were great - but next time I will setup my Performer or my Genesis for searing, or have a chimney of coals ready to pour into the kamado. I can't stop for 15 minutes or more and shift gears on the coals in the SNS like I did this time, as it made dinner 30 minutes late. On the plus side, the entire roast ended up within about 5 degrees of the same temp by the time it was done - 135 at the small end and 130 at the large end.

Thankfully lesson learned, and the prime rib was GREAT. I've got about 1/3 of this one for leftovers the next couple of days, and have two smaller 3 or 4 bone roasts in the deep freeze for future cooks now that I know how to manage it.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7288.JPEG Views:	0 Size:	1.18 MB ID:	1146203 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7290.JPEG Views:	0 Size:	1.13 MB ID:	1146201 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7289.JPEG Views:	0 Size:	1.21 MB ID:	1146202
      Last edited by jfmorris; December 21, 2021, 11:34 PM.

Comment

• Grillin Dad
        Grillin Dad commented
        Editing a comment
        That looks great!! I’m doing a 4-bone boneless rib roast on Christmas, if mine turns out anything like that, I’ll be thrilled (I’m a rib roast virgin, so I’m pretty nervous).

Just to pick your brain a little, how long did you end up ‘smoking’ it for? I’m trying to figure out timing for mine.

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        Grillin Dad I lit the coals at 2:45pm, and got things stable at 225 and put the meat on around 3:40pm. About 2 hours later, the thin end was at 125, thick end at 110, and I decided to open the lid and get the coals in the SNS into searing mode. Mistake, as I let the meat cool down TOO much during that interval. Next time I'll have a fresh chimney going, or just go sear on my gas grill. As it was, dinner was served at 6:30pm, instead of the expected 6pm.

Plan 2.5 hours cook time, give or take.
        Last edited by jfmorris; December 23, 2021, 09:27 AM.

• BFlynn
        BFlynn commented
        Editing a comment
        Looks fantastic

After all is said, you did a great job here. Thank you for sharing.

Comment

Great job Jim! I can taste it just by lookin’ at it!

Comment

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks! It was gratifying to have it come out so well, and it gives me more a reason to cook the two rib roasts buried in the deep freeze. And I am pondering another trip to Publix to get another full primal before the price goes up - the sale is through 12/24.

• smokenoob
          smokenoob commented
          Editing a comment
          jfmorris now there’s a great idea!

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here