Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seaweed Fed Beef

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seaweed Fed Beef

Interesting story - read entirely...

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/seaweed...limate-change/

Cool. There's a lot we need to do to curb carbon emissions and things like this are low hanging fruit.

Comment

This will work worldwide when all I get are essential oils from the pharmacy.

Years ago they were feeding chicken litter to cattle.

Pretty neat discovery nonetheless.

Comment

I know some people who shud eat more seaweed....
        Sadly I don't see them producing enough to make a huge difference and they admit cattle's gut may adapt to seaweed and relight the wick.

Comment

• rickgregory
          rickgregory commented
          Editing a comment
          I think the more interesting thing would be to figure out why the seaweed has this effect and then see if we can mass produce those compounds and add them to the regular feed to get this effect (or some of it)

• smokin fool
          smokin fool commented
          Editing a comment
          Well Dalhousie is a well respected university up here, if they can't figure it out I'd think no one can.
          Like most things depends on funding, no funding they may as well feed the cattle caramel
          corn.

I wonder what the beef tastes like when they've been fed seaweed. Given that grass really changes the flavor profiles, it seems worth looking into.

Comment

• rickgregory
          rickgregory commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, that would be interesting to know. They could grain finish it but still...

• lemayp
          lemayp commented
          Editing a comment
          New surf and turf option, sushi steaks...

• FireMan
          FireMan commented
          Editing a comment
          Mebbee it tastes like chicken.

Man! I hope my wife doesn't see this article. I'll be on a seaweed diet for sure...

Comment

• Razor
          Razor commented
          Editing a comment
          Beat me to it. 😂

WTF? Cows eat grass, always have. Why do people want to mess with nature? Boys are boys, girls are girls, cows eat grass. And fish fornicate in water, consume at your own discretion.

Comment

• gboss
          gboss commented
          Editing a comment
          CaptainMike I still don't understand what you're on about, but that's OK. Have a nice evening. Merry Christmas to you too, bud.

• CaptainMike
          CaptainMike commented
          Editing a comment
          And you never will, child.

• gboss
          gboss commented
          Editing a comment
          Mike,

Actually, I'm fairly sure that I do actually understand what you're on about, I was just choosing to politely de-escalate and disengage. I did this mostly out of respect for Meathead and the staff/moderators of the PIT.

Merry Christmas, Mike, and I hope we're able to have a rational discussion about this sometime in the future. Sincerely.

Best regards,
          Greg, the child

I hope my wife doesn’t see this, she will be feeding me seaweed salad to see if it works……

Comment

Blah, blah, blah. Cows are easy to pick on because people think they are stupid. But really, it's people that are stupid. Global warming, climate change, oh my! Let's wring our hands and find something to blame. Hey, it's those cows.

From the article:

"Globally, methane is responsible for 30% of global warming. Of that, livestock, such as cattle, account for about one-third of all methane emissions."

"...livestock now accounts for 15% of global emissions."

"...feeding seaweed to cattle would reduce greenhouse gases by as high as 40%,..."

If methane is responsible for 30% of global warming, what's responsible for the other 70%?

If livestock accounts for 15% of global emissions, what accounts for the other 85%?

How could feeding seaweed to cattle reduce greenhouse gasses by 40% when livestock only account for a mere fraction of greenhouse gasses?

So, who is really is responsible for the problem? Take a good look in the mirror.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Emissions-by-sector-–-pie-charts.png
Views:	147
Size:	244.0 KB
ID:	1145162
          That's right folks, it's humans with their insatiable thirst for energy to power their BMWs and Prius', their computers. smartphones, and all those other handy electrical consumers that make people's lives more convenient.

But do you hear a call to produce and use less of these things? No. And even if someone were to say so, it would be drowned out on how we need to produce and use less livestock. Doubt me?

The graph was taken from an article by Hannah Ritchie and can be found here.

So, does Ms. Ritchie give cows a break? Of course not.

"Livestock & manure (5.8%): animals (mainly ruminants, such as cattle and sheep) produce greenhouse gases through a process called ‘enteric fermentation’ – when microbes in their digestive systems break down food, they produce methane as a by-product. This means beef and lamb tend to have a high carbon footprint, and eating less is an effective way to reduce the emissions of your diet."

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
            ComfortablyNumb commented
            Editing a comment
            gboss I figure I have ten, maybe fifteen years left. Do you think all the intellectuals will have it solved by then?

“The young people think the old people are fools -- but the old people know the young people are fools.”
            ― Agatha Christie, Murder at the Vicarage

• gboss
            gboss commented
            Editing a comment
            ComfortablyNumb not a chance we (humanity) will have this solved in ten to fifteen years. I thought your post was interesting and made a good point: namely that we have to make sure we are being effective with our efforts (dollars) to reduce the very obvious damage being done. Distorting the %, as you correctly point out, helps no one and only muddies the waters. In a different post, I shared an article that claims 3oz of seaweed as an addition to the regular diet. continued

• gboss
            gboss commented
            Editing a comment
            that small amount of seaweed is not likely to alter the taste. It sounds promising that a "small" change can have such an outsize effect. I am, quite frankly, shocked at the reactions I am seeing. This is good news: more beef to eat. What's the downside? I honestly would like to know. This is a dietary supplement of seaweed. They're still eating the corn subsidies like proper American cattle. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

So does this mean we would no longer need to dry brine our beef, as it would come pre-salted from the diet?

Comment

Wonder how much crud is put in the atmosphere from one volcano? I think we ought to ban volcanos & earthquakes. Mebbee if we move people around we can control the quakes, specially the heavy trucks, I mean they do weigh a lot.

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
              ComfortablyNumb commented
              Editing a comment
              What if we all ran in the opposite direction of the earth's rotation and caused it to spin backwards? Would that turn back time?

During WW2 the US seeded clouds to rein the enemy. The weather used as a weapon did not stop there. Just another example of man ruling man to his own ruin.
            Google "weaponizing weather" for example.
            Expert warns of “weaponized weather” being used against US power grids (climatesciencenews.com)

Comment

Originally posted by bbqLuv View Post
              During WW2 the US seeded clouds to rein the enemy. The weather used as a weapon did not stop there. Just another example of man ruling man to his own ruin.
              Google "weaponizing weather" for example.
              Expert warns of “weaponized weather” being used against US power grids (climatesciencenews.com)

Just wait... we've got billionaires wanting to spend their own money (and plenty of other peoples' money) to 'seed' the atmosphere with mica or some crap? You know, to slow global warming. Just wait...

I can't see ANYTHING going wrong with that, can you??? Naaaaaahhhhhh....

Comment

• bbqLuv
                bbqLuv commented
                Editing a comment
                What in the World Are They Spraying?
                Chemtrails as opposed to contrails?

• tRidiot
                tRidiot commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes, they think spraying hundreds of TONS of particulate matter in the upper atmosphere will be beneficial and lead to global cooling. Just wait... the stupidity of man thinking he can control the planet will never cease - only get worse.

One thing to keep in mind is that methane is a far stronger heat absorber than is CO2 by a factor of about 25. A reduction of methane emissions is a good thing to do, and yes cows have always eaten grass, but we have a whole lot more cows than ever before, do we not?

All that said, it is already too late to stop some serious consequences this century even if we could magically stop all emissions tomorrow. There is a lot of hysteresis in the system, inertia if you will, changes take a while to get going, and a while to react to inputs. What we really need to do is add an effective means of sequestering CO2 and methane from the atmosphere that isn't energy-prohibitive. Such technology is in its early days, but there have been promising developments in recent years. We need to start actively removing these compounds to augment what we can manage on emission reduction.

Volcanoes may actually be part of the solution! One of the most promising prototype processes uses geothermal energy from the magmatic provinces of Iceland to basically pump water carbonated with CO2 extracted from the atmosphere through the margins of a geothermal system, like artificial hot springs basically. When the water reacts with the basaltic lavas in the ground, the CO2 gets locked up in carbonate minerals that are stable at surface conditions on the order of billions of years. So that would take it out of the picture for good. We need more of this!

Comment

• gboss
                gboss commented
                Editing a comment
                Get out of here with that scientific fact nonsense!!! It apparently has no place in this thread.

• DaveD_SpaceBBQ
                DaveD_SpaceBBQ commented
                Editing a comment
                gboss, I yam what I yam...

• tbob4
                tbob4 commented
                Editing a comment
                Pan evaporation studies?

CaptainMike
              Originally posted by CaptainMike View Post
              WTF? Cows eat grass, always have. Why do people want to mess with nature? Boys are boys, girls are girls,cows eat grass. And fish fornicate in water, consume at your own discretion.
              The state police want to talk to you!
              Last edited by ofelles; December 20, 2021, 02:45 PM.

Comment

• CaptainMike
                CaptainMike commented
                Editing a comment
                Hahahaha!!! I'm sure they do, Comrade!

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            Rubs Promo