Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seaweed Fed Beef

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seaweed Fed Beef

Interesting story - read entirely...

Cool. There's a lot we need to do to curb carbon emissions and things like this are low hanging fruit.

Comment

This will work worldwide when all I get are essential oils from the pharmacy.

Years ago they were feeding chicken litter to cattle.

Pretty neat discovery nonetheless.

Comment

I know some people who shud eat more seaweed....
        Sadly I don't see them producing enough to make a huge difference and they admit cattle's gut may adapt to seaweed and relight the wick.

Comment

• rickgregory
          rickgregory commented
          Editing a comment
          I think the more interesting thing would be to figure out why the seaweed has this effect and then see if we can mass produce those compounds and add them to the regular feed to get this effect (or some of it)

• smokin fool
          smokin fool commented
          Editing a comment
          Well Dalhousie is a well respected university up here, if they can't figure it out I'd think no one can.
          Like most things depends on funding, no funding they may as well feed the cattle caramel
          corn.

I wonder what the beef tastes like when they've been fed seaweed. Given that grass really changes the flavor profiles, it seems worth looking into.

Comment

• rickgregory
          rickgregory commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, that would be interesting to know. They could grain finish it but still...

• lemayp
          lemayp commented
          Editing a comment
          New surf and turf option, sushi steaks...

• FireMan
          FireMan commented
          Editing a comment
          Mebbee it tastes like chicken.

Man! I hope my wife doesn't see this article. I'll be on a seaweed diet for sure...

Comment

• Razor
          Razor commented
          Editing a comment
          Beat me to it. 😂

WTF? Cows eat grass, always have. Why do people want to mess with nature? Boys are boys, girls are girls, cows eat grass. And fish fornicate in water, consume at your own discretion.

Comment

• gboss
          gboss commented
          Editing a comment
          CaptainMike I still don't understand what you're on about, but that's OK. Have a nice evening. Merry Christmas to you too, bud.

• CaptainMike
          CaptainMike commented
          Editing a comment
          And you never will, child.

• gboss
          gboss commented
          Editing a comment
          Mike,

Actually, I'm fairly sure that I do actually understand what you're on about, I was just choosing to politely de-escalate and disengage. I did this mostly out of respect for Meathead and the staff/moderators of the PIT.

Merry Christmas, Mike, and I hope we're able to have a rational discussion about this sometime in the future. Sincerely.

Best regards,
          Greg, the child

I hope my wife doesn’t see this, she will be feeding me seaweed salad to see if it works……

Comment

So does this mean we would no longer need to dry brine our beef, as it would come pre-salted from the diet?

Comment

Wonder how much crud is put in the atmosphere from one volcano? I think we ought to ban volcanos & earthquakes. Mebbee if we move people around we can control the quakes, specially the heavy trucks, I mean they do weigh a lot.

Comment

During WW2 the US seeded clouds to rein the enemy. The weather used as a weapon did not stop there. Just another example of man ruling man to his own ruin.
              Google "weaponizing weather" for example.
              Expert warns of "weaponized weather" being used against US power grids (climatesciencenews.com)

Comment

Originally posted by bbqLuv View Post
                During WW2 the US seeded clouds to rein the enemy. The weather used as a weapon did not stop there. Just another example of man ruling man to his own ruin.
                Google "weaponizing weather" for example.
                Expert warns of "weaponized weather" being used against US power grids (climatesciencenews.com)

Just wait... we've got billionaires wanting to spend their own money (and plenty of other peoples' money) to 'seed' the atmosphere with mica or some crap? You know, to slow global warming. Just wait...

I can't see ANYTHING going wrong with that, can you??? Naaaaaahhhhhh....

Comment

• bbqLuv
                  bbqLuv commented
                  Editing a comment
                  What in the World Are They Spraying?
                  Chemtrails as opposed to contrails?

• DogFaced PonySoldier
                  DogFaced PonySoldier commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yes, they think spraying hundreds of TONS of particulate matter in the upper atmosphere will be beneficial and lead to global cooling. Just wait... the stupidity of man thinking he can control the planet will never cease - only get worse.

One thing to keep in mind is that methane is a far stronger heat absorber than is CO2 by a factor of about 25. A reduction of methane emissions is a good thing to do, and yes cows have always eaten grass, but we have a whole lot more cows than ever before, do we not?

All that said, it is already too late to stop some serious consequences this century even if we could magically stop all emissions tomorrow. There is a lot of hysteresis in the system, inertia if you will, changes take a while to get going, and a while to react to inputs. What we really need to do is add an effective means of sequestering CO2 and methane from the atmosphere that isn't energy-prohibitive. Such technology is in its early days, but there have been promising developments in recent years. We need to start actively removing these compounds to augment what we can manage on emission reduction.

Volcanoes may actually be part of the solution! One of the most promising prototype processes uses geothermal energy from the magmatic provinces of Iceland to basically pump water carbonated with CO2 extracted from the atmosphere through the margins of a geothermal system, like artificial hot springs basically. When the water reacts with the basaltic lavas in the ground, the CO2 gets locked up in carbonate minerals that are stable at surface conditions on the order of billions of years. So that would take it out of the picture for good. We need more of this!

Comment

• gboss
                  gboss commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Get out of here with that scientific fact nonsense!!! It apparently has no place in this thread.

• DaveD
                  DaveD commented
                  Editing a comment
                  gboss, I yam what I yam...

• tbob4
                  tbob4 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Pan evaporation studies?

CaptainMike
                Originally posted by CaptainMike View Post
                WTF? Cows eat grass, always have. Why do people want to mess with nature? Boys are boys, girls are girls,cows eat grass. And fish fornicate in water, consume at your own discretion.
                The state police want to talk to you!
                Last edited by ofelles; December 20, 2021, 02:45 PM.

Comment

• CaptainMike
                  CaptainMike commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hahahaha!!! I'm sure they do, Comrade!

Does that make them sea cows?

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
                  ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
                  Editing a comment
                  No, those are endangered

• smokenoob
                  smokenoob commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Lucky for sea cows, they don’t taste as good

• bbqLuv
                  bbqLuv commented
                  Editing a comment
                  How do you milk a sea-cow? Or make sea-cheese?
                  I can't see to eat another piece of sea's candy.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here