Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ISO advice re: 3 weeks with a Cryosealed Costco Prime Rib

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ISO advice re: 3 weeks with a Cryosealed Costco Prime Rib

Today we purchased a cryosealed Costco Prime Rib Roast, 7 (or 8?) ribs. According to Pepper's law (Maximize surface to volume flavor ratio), my plan for Xmas day is to have cut this into one rib steaks 24-48 hours in advance, dry brine.

Then, on Xmas day, about an hour before dinner I will front sear all over a wood/lump charcoal fire, then add black pepper and put on racks in a 200 F oven until each reaches their target temps. (At 200, the carryover heat should be minimal.)

My question: Leave in the cryobag for the next 18 days, or put in a Umai Dry bag for that time. Obviously the cryobag is less work. (My wife is worried about meat in the fridge for a couple of weeks, wants to know what is so special about a cryobag.)

Thanks, sisters and brothers in meat!

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9836.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	343.6 KB ID:	1138304
    Last edited by Dr. Pepper; December 6, 2021, 05:40 PM.

Tell her I aged one of my Costco Christmas briskets for 87 days in the store's cryo prior to cooking. It'll be fine.

Comment

• Dadof3Illinois
      Dadof3Illinois commented
      Editing a comment
      I just wet aged an 18# Costco prime brisket 105 days in its original vac sealed packaging and it was a great cook!! I’ve done a few now at different aging dates and IMO 60 days is the sweet spot. As long as you don’t open the original packaging I believe you’ll be just fine.

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      Having worked with many doctors over the years, most were very good, I'm going to pass on commenting.

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      CaptainMike emphasis on MOST

take the stickers off and tell her it is an umai dry age bag...just saying?

Comment

A lot of folks "wet age" brisket for four week from the packing date. As long as you stay under that time, I don't see a problem. You might want to open it when the wife is not around, due to the "cryo stink" that come from the wet aging process.

If she wants you to site sources, you can go with random people on the internet, or something a bit more professional like this article.
      When selecting a steak for tenderness and flavor, often the consumer may ask, “Which is the right steak for me?" Dry-aged or wet-aged beef? Here is everything you need to know on the history of wet-aged beef.

Comment

If you don't mind the extra effort, I would def. go with the Umai dry age bag. It really adds flavor. Yes, you will have to trim some beef off, so of course there's a small loss, but in my mind it's worth it.

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
          Dr. Pepper commented
          Editing a comment
          Henrik But, it would only be for about 16 days. Is that worthwhile?

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes, I still think so. But to be honest, keeping it in the cryovac yields more meat, so it’s a tough one :-)

Thats a beautiful hunk of beef!

My wife doesn't question me anymore on what I do with meet in the garage fridge(s), as she knows the result is usually going to be good.

I am just not into losing meat to trim as will happen if you dry age it. Based on what I do with brisket, I am sure it will be fine wet aged, but I am not sure its as necessary with something you will be cutting into steaks. I've never wet aged the USDA prime NY strip loins I buy and cut into steaks - I cut them up, vacuum seal and into the freezer they go. I pull them out the day before I want steak, sometimes the morning of, let them thaw for an hour or two, then into the fridge with salt for the dry brine.

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
          Dr. Pepper commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks jfmorris Since we'll be eating these on 25 Dec, part of my question is 'Why not?' just leave it in the cryo-vac bag until I'm ready to slice and dry brine. It's packing date is only 1 Dec.

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          I see no reason to do so either. Just commenting on my process, but mine is due to buying 10-12 pound hunks of meat and slicing into steaks for future use. If you are cooking it all at once on Dec 25, I wouldn't freeze it at this point.

BTW that packing date is the date they put the price label on at Costco, and not the true packing date, which was on the case it came out of.

• Dr. Pepper
          Dr. Pepper commented
          Editing a comment
          jfmorris So, then it has had a head start on it's wet aging!

Just tell her a cryovac bag is special because its sealed and has no oxygen in it, like the normal grocery store packaging.

Like the others said though, don't open the bag when she is in the kitchen. I always open it in the sink, rinse all the funk off, then dry with paper towels before slicing my steaks.

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
          Dr. Pepper commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for that recommendation, Jim. I know that Vangie can be 'put off' from something that I know she would have liked.

The cryobag itself is not special; it's the process of vacuum packing it. If you waited to purchase your prime rib until the week before Christmas, there's a pretty good chance that it will have been sitting in a cryobag in a Costco warehouse somewhere since at least early December.

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
          Dr. Pepper commented
          Editing a comment
          Well, Murdy , that would save us a full shelf of refrigerator storage for a month! Now, if only they would let me slice & dry brine it while still in their warehouse. 😏

A number of recipes for prime rib, use the refrigerator to age the beef, Alton Brown, America’s Test Kitchen, etc. Set on a rack, not covered, I’ve done for up to 10 days.

Comment

Hey Seattle, that looks like the ones I saw last week in Costco here in SD. Down here labelled as "New York", prime, and was boneless. $12.99/lb and then $25 off the sticker. I was very tempted and may yet if they still have them this week.

Was that the same thing that you got? I can't see your label clearly on my phone.

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
            Dr. Pepper commented
            Editing a comment
            Hey South Dakota or San Diego or Santo Domingo.
            Mine was a bone-in Prime. No sale price. (I discretely covered the price 😬)
            There were none in the display cases, but I caught the attention of one of the butchers, who came out to answer my inquiry. She said yes, they had cryovac ones in the back, and she brought out a couple so that I could choose my size. Good Costco service!

Dr. Pepper Hi Seattle guy
          i might be tempted to get something like that. The closest Costco to me is Federal Way, and almost every chunk of beef in that store is labelled 'Blade Tenderized' , which I refuse to buy. Maybe a cryovac'd roast might not be. Check your label, please.
          Last edited by BruceB; December 8, 2021, 03:42 PM.

Comment

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            Most of the primal and sub-primal larger cuts are not blade tenderized. They do it on all the in-store cut meat however.

BruceB Boy, there are more of us PNW folks than I thought. And, a founding member no less! Back when I was still wearing BBQ diapers.

No, this was not blade tenderized, as jfmorris notes. Here's the labels, and the cost 😱. They also have choice. I'm going to cut this into 2" steaks, dry brine, front sear, and then low temp oven roast until desired doneness. We are waiting on a final head count, and for morning-of rapid covid testing, so I may well have a few to freeze for some later date as well.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9856.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	396.7 KB ID:	1139415 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9857.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	357.6 KB ID:	1139414 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9858.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	385.9 KB ID:	1139413 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9855.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	442.5 KB ID:	1139412

Last edited by Dr. Pepper; December 8, 2021, 07:32 PM.

Comment

• zzdocxx
            zzdocxx commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks, I see that is a ribeye USDA prime.
            The ones I was looking at here are New York USDA prime. The $25 off per package is expired now. Still thinking about it though.
            That is going to be an awesome prime rib ! ! !
            OK I'm going out to start smoker grilling a couple of tri-tip.
            Cheers!

San Diego Guy

While we are all showing our meat, I thought I would flop this one out. Going to cook it this Saturday Christmas gig for a buddies employees. Best before Nov 30, so guess I should toss it out...Not! Have another gig Sunday cooking in the local center as a demonstrations. (Outside a bait n tackle shop where they sell some of my pits.) 5 kilo beef chuck and a bunch of pork bellies.
          Attached Files

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
            Dr. Pepper commented
            Editing a comment
            How does the currency compare to the US dollar?

• Ahumadora
            Ahumadora commented
            Editing a comment
            Dr. Pepper I will swap you dollar for dollar NZD for USD. .69c USD =$1 NZD

• zzdocxx
            zzdocxx commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes that is a big one you have got there.

I didn’t see anything on this thread so I will bring it up. Be sure the cryobag is completely sealed. Many times they are handled rough and it breaks a hole somewhere. If sealed these will last for weeks! If it is broken definitely use your Umai.

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
            Dr. Pepper commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes, I agree. if you've got a big one, and there's a hole in the cover bag, you could be in big trouble.

How long do you anticipate the individual steaks will take to reach 131F?

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
            Dr. Pepper commented
            Editing a comment
            Well, ChicoSteve , that all depends on the oven temp. If I reverse sear, then I would be putting cold meat into a 200 F oven, with meat probes in, for a target temp of 120-125. That would likely take about 40 minutes? At that low temp there isn't a lot of carryover heat. But, would still be fine for them to sit on the counter for 30-60 minutes. Then sear, flipping frequently, for about 4 minutes if the fire is hot enough. That would likely bring the internal temps up to medium rare.

• Dr. Pepper
            Dr. Pepper commented
            Editing a comment
            If front sear, then definitely keep the steaks in the fridge, possibly even an hour in the freezer before searing, then put them in the 200 oven with internal thermometers in at least a couple of them, pull at 130 (any carryover heat was from the front sear, and has had much time to dissipate. Challenge here is when to serve. Can pull out of oven, let oven drop to 130-150 range, and tuck them back in when the oven is low to keep warm.

BTW, welcome, and congratulations on your first post!!

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here