Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Well Look What I Stumbled Onto

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not to belabor the point, the proof is in the results of cooking this stuff, but I called HeartBrand today to get the skinny on this meat they call Akaushi. Is it certified Akaushi Purebred Wagyu or cross bread (as I suspected)? I'll post an article or two that talks about it in depth but these cows and bulls were brought to the US back in the 1992 somewhat surreptitiously. They are not allowed by trade sanctions to leave Japan otherwise. The herds have grown over the years to maybe 14,000 head today.

HeartBrand told me that the only way they could realistically grow their herds was through cross breeding. Yet in order to do that by agreement with the Japanese Akaushi Association each of the cross bred cows has to have at least 50% pure Akaushi DNA in it. Unfortunately the exact mix and variables thereafter are too difficult to cull from each cow that's slaughtered so it does vary.

That said, they only process about 160 or so cows a month. Where normal Angus grades out at Prime in maybe 2-3% of the Angus herds, Akaushi cross bred grades higher than prime 90% of the time. That could be anywhere from A2-A4 depending on the cow and the DNA mix. They sell them at the same price point as other American Wagyu producers. As a matter of fact they don't even recognize the term because it could mean hundreds of different things. They just refer to them as Akaushi. There words not mine.

I did go on their website and you can buy an 11# average brisket for $120 plus shipping. That's about $11/# pre-shipped cost which does stack up nicely with the A Bar N Ranch product I normally buy (which btw is so popular with restaurants that they quit selling to the general public). I also talked to my local barbecue supply place today and he said they buy in bulk and pass on the savings. So they are currently at $6.99/# but he expects it will go up. He doesn't even know what or when he can get more, it's that hard to get.

Again the proof is in the putting but I think this stuff may be the Holy Grail of beef. The bbq guy told me the stuff is pure gold, he loves the Teres Major and the Outside Skirt, melt in your mouth delicious !! I encourage anyone willing to pay for SRF or other prime cuts to give these guys a try. I'll cook my stuff sometime in November and report back but I'm sure the stuff will live up to the hype.

Focused on improving the beef industry through diligently maintained Akaushi genetics, the HeartBrand team believes in more than just producing great calves.

Interesting article on how one of the Koch brothers got sideways with HeartBrand over these same cattle.

Comment

• STEbbq
      STEbbq commented
      Editing a comment
      I will be curious to see if the trimming is different and if we end up trimming less than we would for prime on a % basis.

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      I can't tell looking at through the cryovac but I did not see a large amount of deckle fat. There is obviously some but not a lot. I don't think yield is going to change much, the other AW briskets I've bought were just as fatty. It's the physiology of the animal and this cut of beef, that's not going to change. The only thing you need to be aware of, once again, is these animals on on the smaller size so don't expect much more than a 10# brisket. If feeding a larger group better order two!!

• STEbbq
      STEbbq commented
      Editing a comment
      Just the usual 3 people (wife, daughter, me)

Troutman - I ran across these guys too https://2fakaushibeef.com and the prices, while not CHEAP, are reasonable. A 4-5lb Dino short rib plate for $65 isn't bad nor is the 7-8lb brisket for $85.
    Last edited by rickgregory; October 19, 2021, 08:07 PM.

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Well there you go, there are dozens of these ranches scattered about the country. Many, if not all of them, have gotten their genetics through HeartBrand who is the source. I'm glad there is this kind of dedication and real world pricing, although still expensive, going on.

Regarding price, for years Wegman’s has had Wagyu cross strips and ribeyes for anywhere between $49 and $69/lb. Last trip there, it was $179.

I’m glad I stocked up when I could.

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      My little source was selling HeartBrand Akaushi ribeyes for $35/# and NY strips for $30/#. On line pricing is 45-50% higher. You, of course, may be looking at a higher A5 quality piece of meat. When it comes to ribeyes, I'm still buying Costco subprimal whole boneless rib sections and dry aging them. Fantastic results at about #12/# all in. Can't afford $35/# much less $179/#, that's just absurd.

I’m speechless…
    Attached Files

Comment

Ok. I ordered from these guys, as shipped pricing was about $10/pd, roughly a 20% discount off Heartland pricing. We will see what happens!

Comment

• SheilaAnn
        SheilaAnn commented
        Editing a comment
        I bit…. Picked up a picanha, petit tender and a bavette.

• STEbbq
        STEbbq commented
        Editing a comment
        SheilaAnn I will be interested in your thoughts!
        Last edited by STEbbq; October 22, 2021, 02:59 PM.

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Now you’re seeing the light…hallelujah 😇

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here