Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Well Look What I Stumbled Onto

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well Look What I Stumbled Onto

While cruising to my local neighborhood BBQ supply store to buy some propane refills for my gasser, I noticed they had a new stock of beef in their meat locker. They just have one of those upright beverage type cooler with some ribeyes, New York strips, tri-tips and briskets for sale. They generally have SRF meats, which is tempting because the price is a lot more reasonable then ordering it from SRF as a result of shipping. This time; however, they switched to a local Texas ranch that carries Akaushi American Wagyu. When I saw that my eyes popped out of my head. For those who know about Akaushi Wagyu cattle you know what I mean. To find that in a BBQ supply store is somewhat off the wall. Let me explain about this type of wagyu to the uninitiated.

Of the four Japanese breeds of cattle, Akaushi is the one known in its native Japan as the "Emperor’s Breed." They did not exist outside of Japan until 1994, the year eight females and three males were shipped to the U.S. on a specially equipped Boeing 747. They found their way to HeartBrand Ranch in Hardwood, Texas in1994, where they have helped build a herd that has not only survived but thrived in this south Texas region.

Known as Prime of Wagyu in Japan, these cattle are the most sought after. They are unique in that they are red in color versus the usual black seen on must Wagyu breeds.

I've heard that this type of American Wagyu was available in Texas (and apparently across the country) but have never actually seen any until now, and that in a little supply store with a single beverage cooler full of meat !!

Now here's the the best news of all. These guys were giving the stuff away. The ribeyes and New York strips were in the $25/pound range, good buy for the quality of beef, but look at what I picked up a Teres Major cut for;

Click image for larger version

Name:	texas star grill shop teres major.jpg
Views:	411
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	1111265 Click image for larger version

Name:	texas star grill shop teres major label.jpg
Views:	413
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	1111266

and for the best part, look at what I got a full packer brisket for !!! HEB is selling SRF Black and Mishima Reserve for $6.99/pound as a reference point....

Name:	texas star grill shop brisket label.jpg
Views:	474
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	1111264 Click image for larger version

Name:	texas star grill shop brisket.jpg
Views:	410
Size:	152.8 KB
ID:	1111267

I went back on Friday to buy more to somehow fit into my overpacked freezers and they jacked the pricing up to that $6.99/# level at HEB and were out of Teres Major, a cut I can never find around here anyway.

I'm going to cook the Teres Major cut I have next week when I get back from the Rockdale Meat-up. I'll report back as to whether this is a great deal or not. Even if it's just of Prime grade it's still a good deal regardless, but if it's top grade American Wagyu, oh boy. Bottom line, there is still good pricing on quality beef in Texas, just gotta look around and be lucky enough to stumble onto it !!!

I have no idea how you get such incredibly cheap stuff that's supposedly rare down there. You can get pure (and crossbred) Akuashi online but it's stupidly expensive. Same with the Mishima, etc
    Last edited by rickgregory; October 17, 2021, 11:42 AM.

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      First off, I don't know. Secondly if you Google in Akuashi and HeartBrand Ranch you can read the history behind this cross breed of American Wagyu. We have at least a dozen ranches (A Bar N for one) that sells American Wagyu all day long. The breed stock is growing. This is not to be confused with A5 Pure bred. I'll post the Mishima Reserve pictures below fyi.

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      More cattle than people in TX. I mean we raise 100% grass fed/finished hormone and antibiotic free no-roll beef and sell it because people pay so much much for it. Meanwhile we eat corn fed prime beef.

• rickgregory
      rickgregory commented
      Editing a comment
      texastweeter - oh I know. But If I could sell beef at $40/lb outside Texas or for $6 inside.... I'll be selling elsewhere. It's the extreme asymmetry that takes me aback, esp these days when you can so easily see prices elsewhere and order online.

Better yet, bring it all with you to the 'Dale and we can have Brett cook it up for us!! 'Ol palsey-walsey 'o mine!

Comment

• 58limited
      58limited commented
      Editing a comment
      I was going to suggest that.

Wow! I am kinda with rickgregory on this. Also, though, I know a lot of ranchers are cross breeding Wagyu in Texas. At my old job we got Imperial and it was some pretty good stuff. Been a while, though….

Comment

• rickgregory
      rickgregory commented
      Editing a comment
      And there's heartbrand Akuashi too. But Heartbrand sells an 8oz hanger steak for $20 and other cuts are similarly priced.

I mean, these places could sell off whole cattle at a given price and then butchers cut and wrap individual pieces? But I don't understand why they'd do that vs butcher and sell frozen pieces for several times more. Odd.

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      I've gotten the Imperial as well. They sold out to I believe JBS so I'm a bit leery of their quality. I post getting American Wagyu that I've sourced several times to everyone's disbelief. Trust me I've cooked a lot of it and its legit. Again this is NOT to be confused with pure bred A5 quality wagyu.

• SheilaAnn
      SheilaAnn commented
      Editing a comment
      Troutman you are not wrong. I have had the A5. Two small bites and you are DONE! Too rich for this Chica.

Lookin' forward to your product review.

Comment

• rickgregory
      rickgregory commented
      Editing a comment
      Me too.

they stock it at Fresh by Brookshires here. If you do a real fillet, truss it first, it is so tender it can easily fall apart. My wife loves it. I am a 55 day dry aged prime ribeye fan myself. The akauishi is TOO tender to me, I want some chew. Heartbrand here in TX raises them.

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Well there you go, someone to corroborate my story !!! To be most correct HeartBrand used to control the bulls and the semen, they now sell it to independent ranchers one of whom supplies this store where I bought the above meats.

Awesome find and great prices! I just checked out A Bar N's website and they are sold out of everything - apparently they have restaurant supply contracts now that are the priority.
    Last edited by 58limited; October 17, 2021, 01:38 PM.

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      I saw that as well, I was about ready to buy one too.

The real question, is, what kinds of stunts can you pull off on that bike with the green pegs in it?

Comment

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      CaptainMike Troutman Panhead John I was seriously going to go, but our Executive VP is flying in from NY to interview me for a promotion, and will be here all week/weekend. I am expected to entertain him.

• 58limited
      58limited commented
      Editing a comment
      Entertain him? Bring him to Rockdale. I doubt he has seen the likes of us, plus if he likes BBQ Brett's Big BBQ shindig is Sunday. texastweeter

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      texastweeter Why don’t you go ahead and give me your Executive VP’s name and number. I’ll give him a call and get this straightened out for you. I’ll tell him just to do it another time. I’m sure he’ll understand.

Very cool! Texas Star Grill Shop? That’s actually where I got my Memphis from. I think they’re great place and have some great deals. I wish I lived close to one or maybe I’m glad I don’t as I’d probably be bankrupt.

Comment

Man very nice. Like everyone looking forward to the reviews

Comment

As most Houstonians and fellow Texans know, we get these briskets in our HEB stores pretty regularly. Problem is they sell out in like two seconds. They generally run about $6.99/# of late. Pre-pandemic they used to cost $5.99/#. They also occasionally carry SRF Black for the same price. They must buy a boat load of them and pass on the savings, I have no idea how they do it otherwise. Hell, I don't even buy prime anymore, this stuff is only a buck a pound more.

Name:	mishima reserve from HEB.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	1111346 Click image for larger version

Name:	mishima reserve from HEB label.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	1111345 Click image for larger version

Name:	mishima reserve from HEB trimmed.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	1111344

Comment

• rickgregory
          rickgregory commented
          Editing a comment
          That one is particularly galling to me. I mean, that company is LOCAL (of course the meat is likely slaughtered, butchered and packed closer to you than to me, but still...)

• 58limited
          58limited commented
          Editing a comment
          They are up to $7.99/lb at my HEB

Troutman - in case I gave the impression of not believing you, I apologize. That wasn't my intention, I just don't understand how a product sells so cheaply in Texas when everywhere else it's 3-5x the price you guys get.

Even if we assume volume makes up for the difference to a degree, it just mystifies me that something which sells for $25-40/lb here would be $5-6 there. It makes no sense to me looking from the outside. If it were the occasional special, eh, but you've gotten deals like this regularly so there's something about supply or demand or something that I'm just missing.
        Last edited by rickgregory; October 17, 2021, 03:37 PM.

Comment

• rickgregory
          rickgregory commented
          Editing a comment
          Troutman - yeah, it's the crossbreeding that gives me pause. I mean, that hunk of meat is labeled "Akuashi" not "American Akuashi" etc. Is it 100%? 10%? I go back to the use of Angus as a quality term becoming so diluted that the Certified Angus Beef program became necessary. I think we're at the same place with "Wagyu". It's the new "Kobe Beef" of the world - a meaningless term that is there to hike pricing.

• rickgregory
          rickgregory commented
          Editing a comment
          All that said, I'm still annoyed that I can't get Mishima for your pricing

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          rickgregory I'll report on these for sure, but believe me the quality of the American Wagyu we're seeing more and more of is top notch. Extremely moist, cooks fast (probe tender between 185-190*) and has good yield. As I said, it's definitely better than Prime Angus. I buy CAB in other cuts so I have a good basis. Plus the advantage of the genetics that produce a monounsaturated fat has some health benefits (although how much who knows).
          Last edited by Troutman; October 19, 2021, 04:30 PM.

Hey, we got some dairy cows, ya wanna trade.

Comment

(weeps bitterly)

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_156633.png Views:	16 Size:	116.8 KB ID:	1111383

I'll be honest, I'm starting to wonder if all this 'wagyu' is really wagyu grade. Not the Mishima stuff, but the generically labelled stuff. It's like Angus - it became so misleading that there's now CAB. As I understand it, a tiny percentage of beef is prime (like under 5%). And the term wagyu isn't controlled AFAIK so it could be a tiny % of the genetics.
          Last edited by rickgregory; October 17, 2021, 04:07 PM.

Comment

• texastweeter
            texastweeter commented
            Editing a comment
            You got cheap dungenous crab though!

The only other product they sell here is their ground beef. To be honest I bought a bunch for burgers and meat loaf and found that I really didn't like it. It's way too tacky for some reason and has an odd texture. I prefer good old ground chuck or brisket 80/20.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Mishima Gound.jpg Views:	0 Size:	60.5 KB ID:	1111431

Comment

• rickgregory
            rickgregory commented
            Editing a comment
            I can get the SRF burger blend here for just a bit more than that and I feel the same way about that as you do about this.

• 58limited
            58limited commented
            Editing a comment
            I bought some too, same opinion.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here