Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A VERY large brisket cook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Perhaps useful. No?

Comment

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      All she needs is a little Northern California Italian twang and she's my kin! Love it!!

I can support most of what everyone else has already said. These are my key takeaways:
    - Trim properly. Bigger brisket, more fat. More fat, more waste.
    - I prefer to smoke a full packer brisket as one. Yes, the thin part of the flat can dry out this way, but on my RecTeq, I just put that end away from the smoke stack side, just a tad cooler
    - I live in VA. It gets quite humid here. When the weather isn't so thick, I put in a water pan. I also spritz every hour or so to try and keep some moisture directly on the surface. (it helps to build a crust)
    - Wrapping - Some times I wrap in butcher paper. I don't use foil any more. Most of the time, I let it go without.
    - Temp: I shoot for the 230-250 range. There is/was an article about a "fast cook" brisket. I tried it on a Costco USDA Prime full packer. It actually turned out surprisingly well. The meat was slightly tougher, but the cook was 5-6 hours instead of 15+
    - "Faux Cambro"/cooler trick. This is a _MUST_ !! Letting that bad boy sit in its own juices for a couple of hours is a game changer. Re-absorption and slowly cooling allows for the carry over cooking to continue, then slowly fade...
    - Rubs / Sauces: Big Bad Beef Rub... Mrs. O'leary's... Salt n Pepper... Whatever your taste, just don't over do it with sauce! Rub and smoke should be where you get your flavor. Sauce is certainly okay to use, but should be a condiment, not a flavor replacement. I use Mustard to bind my rub on Pork Shoulder, I only use water on a brisket.

Comment

I probably can't add much, other than I've done full packers ranging from 12 to 21 pounds, and the cook was about the same each time. I did a 21 pound packer this past Saturday into Sunday, and it smoked for about 16 hours total, with a wrap in foil once it hit 170F, and I pushed the heat to 325F the last few hours to get it done on schedule. The temp of the kamado had dropped to 200F overnight, versus 225F, and added a few hours to the cook. I made up for it at the end.

My advice is to target 275F for your cooking temperature, and not 225F, to get it done faster. Unless you are doing it on a pellet smoker, in which case I would keep it at 225F, to get more smoke out of your pellets.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here