Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reverse Sear Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks, everyone. I'll be making my ribeye steaks this week. Pics to follow in Show Us...forum

Comment

You could also heat up a CI skillet at 500 for 10-15 minutes and try searing on that. But otherwise, GrillGrates.

Comment

Personally I would just plan to sear on something other than the pellet smoker. Anything you do to sear on the pellet cooker means taking the steaks off for a good while to get the heat to where you need it. If you use the kettle or something else instead, you can have it lit and getting ready before your steaks reach 120F or whatever temp you are ready to sear at.

You don't need a full chimney of lit charcoal to get a nice sear over on the kettle, and a cast iron skillet is a great option too. You can even use a cast iron skillet on your kettle. Heck - I've seen folks do stellar sears on JUST a charcoal chimney with a cooking grate on top.

This is one of those times a gas grill or griddle would be a good companion to your pellet grill, as it gives you the ability to do a quick sear without the fuss of messing with charcoal. Or an outdoor gas burner or cooktop with a skillet for that matter.

Comment

NY Strips (purchased from Wild Fork), reverse seared on Traeger Pro Series 34

I used a simple rub of Himalayan salt, ground pepper, and garlic powder
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Daba's BBQ; August 7, 2021, 06:56 AM.

Comment

In addition to all the other suggestions: 1) try spraying duck fat or avocado oil to help get a sear. 2) On a Traeger you can get some additional heat around the perimeter of the grate where the heat is not blocked by the drip tray. 3) Use a sous vide gun, very quick, does not continue to cook the interior of the steak, costs less than buying a grill just for steaks.

Comment

My reverse sear practice is usually using 2" thick ribeyes.
              I take my brined, salted, seasoned or whatever you want to do to them steaks, cook them indirect on a Weber kettle to 115/120, let them rest for the 10 to 15 minutes while a full chimney of lump charcoal gets to temp, dump that into the kettle dead center and spread out.
              Put the steaks on when it's around 500 degrees and sear for as long as it takes to get the perfect sear on both sides. Usually takes about 2 minutes per side and, wow, what a result!!
              If using less thick steak, you might want to be right on with the temps, it's important!
              The best results come from when it's cold outside, let's the resting steaks cool off a lot. This is an idea!, thinking fridge while the chimney fires up might be in order when it's warm outside.
              Papa Bruces suggestion is interesting, going to try it next time methinks.
              Many marriage proposals turned down
              Yup, I sad dat!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here