Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tricks to make select grade tri tip more tender

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would not worry about the grade. When the USDA grades beef, the only muscle they look at is the Rib Eye. If the Rib Eye is Prime, the rest of the cow is Prime. Same with Choice and Select. So possibly your TT is more marbled than the Rib Eye that came off the same side of beef.

I'm a California boy and done hundreds of TT's. Not saying my way is the best way. Everybody has their tastes. I use a mop sauce that helps to keep the meat moist. Here's my few tips:
    1. Trim off all surface fat and silver skin;
    2. Dry brine for 24 hours.
    3. Season about an hour before grilling with a salt-free rub of your choice;
    4. I front sear over a hot fire. Char/bark is where all the flavor is and that is what I concentrate on. I grill 3 minutes a side, flip and mop with my mop sauce. Set timer for 3 min. again.
    5. TT's have three sides, so I make sure the third side (that side becomes apparent when you start grilling) is grilled and mopped as well. It usually comes out for me to be 5 - 3 minute turns (2 sides twice and the third side once). If I have the char/bark I want, I move it over to the cool side of the grill, close the grill and finish indirect until I get a temp of abut 130d.
    6. Pour the remaining mop sauce over the TT, tent and bring it in the house to carve.

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      nothing wrong with that way :-)

• jitsntricks
      jitsntricks commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the tips! (pun intended)

Do you know if there's any sort of benefit to front searing over reverse sear? If you front sear and then smoke, isn't that bark preventing smoke from penetrating?

• TripleB
      TripleB commented
      Editing a comment
      jitsntricks - 1) Front sear vs. reverse sear comes down to personal preference. For steaks and TT, I front sear because I believe the char is more important than the internal temp. Char is where the flavor is. For large roasts I reverse sear. 2) you are correct, if you front sear the bark/char is going to prevent smoke from penetrating. I don't smoke my TTs.
      Last edited by TripleB; July 11, 2021, 11:23 AM.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here