Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beef cheeks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beef cheeks

So, I’d like to try cooking some beef cheeks. I am assuming Costco does not carry them but I should be able to find them somewhere local.

The issue is that my wife is somewhat off put by eating ‘beef cheeks’ . However, she likes my brisket, pastrami, burgers, and steaks. How would you describe beef cheeks’ taste and texture compared to those cuts? If I can compare it favorably to things she already likes I might get the go ahead but I don’t know what to say yet.
    Last edited by STEbbq; May 20, 2021, 05:34 PM.

Well, I don’t think this is one time I could say it tastes like chicken, nosirree. I would then forgo the suppersition & say they would have a beefy hint to em, yessir!

Comment

they're closest to brisket. But beefier.

Comment

• STEbbq
        STEbbq commented
        Editing a comment
        A beefier version of brisket would probably sell well for sure...

• FireMan
        FireMan commented
        Editing a comment
        See, that’s what I was sayin, beefy er, yup, 🕶

i used to buy pre-chopped beef cheek for carne asada tacos and it easily passed for shoulder (espadilla) in a pinch. taste is beef, of course. what type of cut are you after and how will you cook it?

Comment

• STEbbq
        STEbbq commented
        Editing a comment
        I am probably going to smoke them but that is as far as I have got at this point. What would you recommend?

STEbbq

Beef cheek makes great machaca or barbacoa for tacos or mixed with scrambled eggs. smoking it and shredding would be even tastier i bet. cheek is also great for roasting like a chuckle - makes tasty stew, as well.

Comment

As far as taste, think oxtail or short rib. if the term "cheek" isn't popular with your eating audience call it chuck. it's all in the delivery.

Comment

• STEbbq
          STEbbq commented
          Editing a comment
          All excellent feedback. Thank you.

I follow this video when preparing them. Very similar to one he did for BBQ All Stars. https://youtu.be/WrV1MMNFxYk
        If the word cheeks turn some people off call it the masseter cut or the masseter steak and you won’t be lying.
        Last edited by Donw; May 20, 2021, 06:41 PM.

Comment

• STEbbq
          STEbbq commented
          Editing a comment
          Perfect video, and of course I found Troutman’s barbacoa tacos so now I have plenty of good ideas...

• bbqLuv
          bbqLuv commented
          Editing a comment
          That be good video.
          I be in front pew of meat church.

• Potkettleblack
          Potkettleblack commented
          Editing a comment
          Will confirm that the Meat Church method, even if you don't use their rubs (which is how I did it) will render an amazing flavor AND a luxurious TEXTURE. In deference to wife, who does not like unctuous food texture, I make this barbacoa with cheek and chuck, which evens it out for her, or lets her pull the tighter chuck and me profit fully from the cheek.

Or cachetes, as they are known in the Mexican markets around here.
        Last edited by Texas Larry; May 22, 2021, 06:33 AM.

Comment

Beef cheeks are close to brisket point, only considerably better. Sam's club does carry beef cheeks

Comment

• STEbbq
            STEbbq commented
            Editing a comment
            Only Costco membership but maybe the local Mexican place has it...

So the wife has approved me making barbacoa tacos!

Perfect...

Comment

I ‘ll let ya in on a secret, I have no idea what I’m talkin about. Know nuthin of beef cheeks. Now walleye cheeks that’s a whole nuther thing, yessir.

Comment

• Oakgrovebacon
              Oakgrovebacon commented
              Editing a comment
              Walleye cheeks are a very tasty treat for the fisherman/cook!

I’m with Ernest here, brisket point is on point (!). Very beefy, but richer than your avg brisket slice.

Comment

Be sure to take us with you on this adventure.

Sam's will let you in on a visitor pass. That's what we did when checking them out.

Comment

• STEbbq
                STEbbq commented
                Editing a comment
                Would they let me buy them on a pass?

• HawkerXP
                HawkerXP commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes!

• STEbbq
                STEbbq commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks. Too bad the Sams actually closed down. Mexican store it is !

Serve it with PBR. No problem.

A glossy picture (cookbook or the internet) should look appetizing compared to a "crapple" pile of beef cheeks.
              Last edited by bbqLuv; May 21, 2021, 08:11 AM. Reason: just to add

Comment

Almost certainly available at your local Mexican market. You might need to gesture to your cheek, if the butcher isn't great with English (happened once). My old market had them frozen in giant blocks. They'd saw me off a weight, and then I'd defrost.

Thirding the idea of brisket point on luxury steroids. Big beef flavor, like the legs and chest, one of the hardest working muscles on a cow, tons of connective gunk, so they have to be taken all the way to collagen breakdown.

I got the idea from the BBQ All Stars class with the guy from Meat Church. I dunno that that's how Rick Bayless would make barbacoa, but DAMN that was delicious. As noted above, wife is not a fan of high connective gunk meat, so I cut 50/50 chuck and cheek. Gives a wonderful textural contrast in a taco, which is part of what a taco is all about.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here