Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do Beans affect Rib Cook Time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do Beans affect Rib Cook Time?

Smoking some ribs today on 22 inch kettle with SnS. I've done beans on indirect side on cooking grate with good results. Would like to try beans on charcoal grate under the ribs. It strikes me the stirring and rotating the pan would at minimum require lifting the lid enough to dramatically affect temp fluctuation and cook time for the ribs. It also strikes me that on a 22 inch kettle I'd need to take the ribs off the cooker to stir/rotate the beans in the middle of the cook.

Any advice on managing all of this? Is the result enough better than cooking beans on top worth the trouble?

I've done beans under the ribs on my WSM. I'm not convinced it made that much of a difference. What I plan to do in the future is collect some drippings in a drip pan to add to the beans that I smoked on the side.

Comment

So you want the ribs to drip into the beans?

Yes that will effect your cook times your right

tell ya true a package of fried bacon added to those beans
      your guests won't care if they come out of the oven
      in the house ;0) IMHO

Comment

When I do mine, I only smoke the beans 1-2 hours. Because you are adding a volume cooler than you want your smoke temp, you'll use a touch more fuel to maintain your temp, but I've never noticed an impact on the cook time.

i also do not stir the beans while they are smoking. Maybe I should.

Comment

So I was reading Meathead 's book recently, and he and the doc did a whole lotta testing on the "if you're looking, you ain't cooking" theory. They found that if you have the lid off for only a few minutes (like 1-3, maybe), when you put the lid back on, it returns to temp pretty easily. Liner than that and you get too much oxygen to the coals and then run away temps. I think I've got that right... But basically, I think you should do it and just try to do in quickly each time. Do you have a hinged grate?

Comment

Beans are just like the water pan. If you use a water pan they should have minimal impact.

Comment

• Reds Fan 5
              Reds Fan 5 commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks, Meathead. I was mostly concerned about doing it on a 22" kettle on which I'd have to take the ribs off the cooker to access the beans for stirring and rotating. Seemed like a lot of time with the lid off, ribs off the indirect heat, etc.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here