Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sneak Peek: NEW Thermometer Review- The Tappecue Touch!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sneak Peek: NEW Thermometer Review- The Tappecue Touch!

You first! Here we'll post news, gear reviews, videos, and recipes that will end up on the free site BEFORE it gets published there! To see all our NEW Recipes & Gear Reviews, visit the Sneak Preview channel here: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...ew-for-members

The Tappecue Touch, by Bill McGrath
    https://amazingribs.com/thermometers...e-touch-review

Click image for larger version  Name:	tappecue-touch_0.jpg Views:	1 Size:	15.5 KB ID:	573765

Bill McGrath I always love a new gadget! Thanks for the review!

Comment

Hopefully, they have finally created something that is fit to go to market, and not a prototype with all the bugs. I bought the original model a couple of years ago. Far from user friendly, but it was cool that it had wi-fi capability so I could freak out about temperature fluctuations from miles away. Mine had a host of issues, to the point that the company replaced the unit, probes and power cord. I eventually got tired of troubleshooting and dealing with the defensive/argumentative customer service folks, sold it on eBay and used the proceeds to buy the new Maverick XR-50 with money left over.

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Nice trade up! Bill is pretty happy with his test unit as you'll see from the review, so it looks like the folks at Tappecue have a winner finally.

Their site says the power connector is a barrel plug and NOT a USB plug, therefore you'll have to use their supplied wall wart power supply/charger rather than just a USB cable to charge and a USB battery pack for an additional power supply. That's a no go for me.

USB-barrel connector cords exist so maybe one of those will work ok but I'd have to be sure that would function properly to power/charge before even considering one of these.

Their site says that with a future update one can use 8 probes total. That might appeal to some.

I see no reason to not get a Fireboard instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Huskee View Post

The Tappecue Touch, by Bill McGrath
        https://amazingribs.com/thermometers...e-touch-review

Click image for larger version Name:	tappecue-touch_0.jpg Views:	1 Size:	15.5 KB ID:	573765
        "All four of the supplied probes are designed for food, not a cooker. I would have opted to have one of the probes designed for use with a grill clip in the cooker's "chamber," although you can jury-rig something easily enough"

Not sure what this means. I use a Maverick two-probe now, and generally use one probe for the meat temperature, and one for the cooker temp. Is the Tappecue not designed to measure th cooker temp?

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Any probe can be used to measure air or meat temp, but what I believe Bill is getting at by that statement in his review is that all the probes are longer, as if meant for meat, instead of the shorties which are typically meant for air temps since you don't need any reach.

Like the Thermoworks Signals, the Tappecue appears to do a bunch of stuff I really like. But, like the Signals, it also appears to fall short of the Fireboard. Namely it only has 4 probes and it can’t drive a fan/controller. At $200, give or take, it seems that you ought to compete with the Fireboard in all aspects.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here