Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seven (7) Tagine Recipes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seven (7) Tagine Recipes

Note: I think any of these recipes would be enhanced by either searing or smoking the meats first.

Feel free to add your recipes and pictures to this thread too.

My recent posts in the Show Us What You're Cooking thread seems to have attracted some interest so I decided to post a few of my recipes here. A Tagine is a cooking vessel consisting of a shallow base with a teepee-shaped lid on top. Food prepared in this vessel is also called a tagine and most are stews. The teepee lid lets the steam and aromatics rise, cool, and condense back into the stew. There are glazed tagines used for cooking and serving and unglazed tagines which are mostly used for cooking only. The unglazed tagines lend an earthy flavor to foods and also absorb some of the flavors of the foods which then influence subsequent cooks. Here are four of my favorite recipes (includes the two I posted on the SUWYC thread. Below are three of my tagines: On the stove are a large 14" Beldi style on the right and a smaller 11" Souss style tagine. Second picture is my Rifi style tagine.

Click image for larger version  Name:	My_tagines.jpg Views:	7 Size:	113.5 KB ID:	806073

Click image for larger version  Name:	tagine2012.JPG Views:	3 Size:	128.5 KB ID:	806085

First recipe:

Preserved Lemon Chicken Tagine

This makes a big batch. I actually divided it between the two tagines pictured above.

This tagine has a "tropical" flavor: sweet and fruity. Harissa (a type of spicy salsa from North Africa) is often added as a condiment and cuts the sweetness. You can also delete the honey if you wish.

6 skinless chicken thighs (large) or chicken breasts (chopped into large cubes)
    5 garlic cloves, minced
    2 large onions, roughly chopped
    4 cups chopped tomatoes, fresh or canned tomatoes
    3 cups chickpeas (canned not dried)
    1 inch piece fresh ginger root, minced
    5 ounces dried apricots
    2 tablespoons tomato puree
    3 tablespoons good quality honey
    1 pint boiling water*
    1 chicken stock cube, Maggi*
    1/4 teaspoon saffron strand, crumbled
    4 teaspoons ras el hanout spice mix**
    salt
    1 small preserved lemon**
    1 tablespoon best quality olive oil
    fresh ground black pepper
    1/2 cup fresh coriander, chopped to serve

* I used canned chicken stock
    ** Ras al Hanout and preserved lemons are essential to Moroccan cooking. I ordered them from this website, which is also where I bought my four tagines: https://www.berbertrading.com/cat-mo...and-spices.cfm

I decided to add the following ingredients to the tagine - all are used in Moroccan cooking:

1 bell pepper
    olives - 3-4 oz.
    dates - handful, pitted
    capers - 1 oz.

Directions
    1. Put the olive oil in the bottom of the tagine and gently color the onion and minced garlic.

2. In a large jug mix 1/2 pint of boiling water with 1 chicken cube and set aside. (OR, simply use chicken broth)

3. To the tagine add the ginger, ras el hanout, saffron, tomato puree and honey. Mix well.

4. Add the chopped tomatoes, chick peas, stock and the apricots to the tagine and season well with salt and pepper to taste. Mix well with a wooden spoon and cover with tagine lid.

At this pint I added my extra ingredients too. Add the chicken pieces, add chicken stock if it needs more fluid, and cover with tagine lid. Remember, as the tagine heats up, the fluid level may rise, so you might want to wait until it is simmering before adding the stock.

5. Bring to a low simmer gradually (over a period of about 20 minutes). Cook on a low heat for 2 hours (low simmer). Remove the lid and add preserved lemon - rinse lemon well under cold tap. Remove and discard half of the flesh and finely slice the remaining flesh and peel. Add this to the tagine before replacing the lid and cook for a further 30 - 45 minutes or until the sauce is thick and well flavored and chicken is ready to fall apart!

6. Add a little stock or water to the sauce if it seems a little dry or too thick. Cook a little longer of not thick enough or the chicken is not at falling point.

7. Finally, serve in the tagine base dish with fresh coriander sprinkled over the top. Serve with fresh baked bread or steamed couscous.

Pic below is in the Beldi about half way through the cook.

Click image for larger version  Name:	chicken_apricot_tagine.jpg Views:	7 Size:	132.7 KB ID:	806072
    Last edited by 58limited; February 22, 2020, 12:39 PM.

Second recipe:

Beef with Peppers Tagine

I usually cook it in the smaller tagine in the first pic above.

3 Tbsp olive oil
    2 Lb beef stew meat
    1/2 onion, diced
    1 stalk celery, thinly sliced
    1 pablano pepper, chopped
    4 dry arbol peppers, chopped
    1 turnip, peeled and diced (recipe called for a potato but I subbed the turnip)
    1 medium parsnip, peeled and thinly sliced (not in the recipe, I added it on a whim and liked it)
    1 medium carrot, peeled and sliced
    1/4 cup fresh chopped Italian parsley
    1 tsp Ras El Hanout
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp ginger
    1/2 tsp paprika
    1/2 tsp black pepper
    1 tsp cumin
    beef broth

Saute onion and celery in oil until onion turns clear. Add rest of ingredients, mix well, and add broth to nearly cover. Today, I was out of beef broth so I used white wine. Cook until beef is fall apart tender. Pic below is at the start of the simmer, no finished pic.

Click image for larger version  Name:	peppertagine1.JPG Views:	0 Size:	54.7 KB ID:	806770
    Last edited by 58limited; February 23, 2020, 08:54 AM.

Comment

Third Recipe:

These next recipes were posted in the SUWYC thread this week.

Kefta Mkaouara: Moroccan Meatball Tagine

Some versions of kefta mkaouara include onions and a little green pepper in the tomato sauce; whether or not to include them is up to you.

NOTE: I used all optional ingredients. For the sauce I used a 28 oz. can of Red Gold crushed tomatoes. Meatballs: For the meat I used my venison brisket blend. For the green pepper I used a poblano. For the optional chilies I used Serrano. Plus it said to use 1 or 2 tsp paprika - I used two. Same with the 1/8 or 1/4 tsp cayenne - I used 1/4 tsp.

Ingredients

• For the Tomato Sauce
    • 2 pounds fresh, ripe tomatoes
    • Optional: 1 medium onions (chopped very fine)
    • 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
    • 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
    • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
    • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    • 3 tablespoons fresh parsley (chopped)
    • 3 tablespoons cilantro (chopped)
    • 3 to 5 cloves garlic (pressed)
    • 1/3 cup olive oil
    • 1 bay leaf
    • For the Kefta Meatballs
    • 1 pound ground beef (or lamb, or a combination of the two)
    • 1 medium onions (chopped very fine)
    • 1 small green pepper (finely chopped)
    • 1 to 2 teaspoons paprika
    • 1 teaspoon cumin
    • 1 teaspoon salt
    • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    • 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    • 1/4 cup fresh parsley (chopped)
    • 1/4 cup fresh coriander (cilantro, chopped)
    • Optional: 1 or 2 chili peppers
    • 1/4 cup water
    • 3 or 4 eggs
    Steps to Make It

Note: while there are multiple steps to this recipe, this kefta dish is broken down into workable categories to help you better plan for preparation and cooking.

Start Cooking the Tomato Sauce

• Gather the ingredients.
    • Peel, seed, and chop the tomatoes or if they're very ripe, cut the tomatoes in half, seed them, and grate them.
    • Mix the tomatoes with 1 medium onion chopped finely (if using), paprika, cumin, salt, black pepper, parsley, cilantro, garlic, olive oil, and bay leaf in the base of a tagine or in a large, deep skillet.
    • Cover and bring to a simmer over medium-low to medium heat. (Note: If using a clay or ceramic tagine on a heat source other than gas, be sure to place a diffuser between the tagine and burner.)
    • Once simmering, reduce the heat a bit and allow the sauce to simmer gently, at least 15 to 20 minutes but longer if you like, before adding the meatballs.
    Make the Kefta Meatballs

• Combine the ground beef or lamb, onion, green pepper, paprika, cumin, salt, ground cinnamon, black pepper, cayenne pepper, parsley, and cilantro.
    • Using your hands to knead in the spices and herbs, shape the kefta mixture into very small meatballs the size of large cherries—about 3/4-inch in diameter.
    • Add the meatballs (and chili peppers, if using) to the tomato sauce, along with a little water—1/4 cup is usually sufficient—and cover.
    • Cook for about 30 to 40 minutes, or until the sauce is thick.
    • Add the eggs to the tagine without breaking the yolks.
    • Cover and cook for an additional 7 to 10 minutes, or until the egg whites are solid and the yolks are only partially set.
    • Garnish if desired with fresh parsley or cilantro, and serve immediately. Enjoy!

Click image for larger version

Name:	fetch?id=806005&d=1582380903&type=medium.jpg
Views:	816
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	806076

Name:	fetch?id=806006&d=1582380905&type=medium.jpg
Views:	678
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	806077

Comment

Fourth Recipe is one I made up as I cooked the other night. It turned out really good.

Impromptu venison tagine:

2 lbs cubed venison - season with S&P
      olive oil
      1 onion chopped
      1 serrano pepper chopped,
      1 Anaheim chili pepper chopped
      2 carrots thin sliced
      4 -5 cloves garlic, pressed
      1/2 cup white wine
      2 tsp ras el hanout
      1 can chickpeas with liquid
      6 oz. tomato paste
      1 preserved lemon (or regular lemon), thin sliced
      S&P to taste

Serve over rice - I used jasmine rice

Saute veggies (except garlic) in olive oil until onions are translucent. Add about 2 lbs cubed venison seasoned with S&P. Cook another 4-5 minutes. Add 4-5 cloves garlic, pressed. Add 1/2 cup white wine and cook until reduced by half. Add 2 teaspoons ras el hanout. Add one can chickpeas with liquid, one lemon sliced thin (seeds removed), and 6 oz. tomato paste. Simmer 2 or more hours. Serve on jasmine rice (I used the ends of the lemon in the rice water).

Name:	fetch?id=804933&d=1582171745&type=medium.jpg
Views:	755
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	806080

Name:	fetch?id=804938&d=1582172317.jpg
Views:	684
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	806081

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

Fifth recipe is another spur of the moment recipe. I basically used what was in the fridge to make this:

Hodge-Podge Tagine

4-6 tsp olive oil, divided
          One large leek, thin sliced - mine was 1 1/2" dia. Put into a colander and rinse.
          2 stalks celery, sliced
          1 parsnip, sliced
          1 carrot, sliced
          1 pablano pepper, course cut
          1 tsp minced garlic
          4 dried hot peppers (serrano I think) chopped with seeds
          1 lb beef, cubed
          1 beef bullion cube, dissolved in 1/4C water
          red wine
          1 can Rotal tomatoes with juice
          2 tsp Ras al Hanout
          Handful of fresh chopped Italian parsley

Other spices I didn't measure, just sprinkled a little on top:

cumin
          black pepper
          salt
          paprika - I have both hot and regular Hungarian paprika, I used both.

Saute leeks in 1/2 of oil on low until wilted and soft, remove. Add rest of oil. Saute celery, pablano, and serrano pepper until soft. Add garlic at the end of saute. Add beef and lightly brown, add rest of ingredients including leeks. Simmer until done.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by 58limited; February 22, 2020, 11:17 AM.

Comment

Recipe 6

Tangia

The next recipe is not really a tagine but is popular in North Africa. It is very savory. A tangia is a little different than a tagine A tangia is a large clay pot used to cook mostly meat with seasonings - used by bachelors in North Africa. A bachelor prepares the ingredients, packs them into the pot, and drops the pot off at the neighborhood oven on his way to work. At the end of the work day, he picks it up on his way home and eats it with bread.

I use my mom's Boston Baked bean pot for this. Tangias are similar but the ones I've seen are taller and skinnier.

Tangia Marrakchia

4 lbs beef or lamb cut into 4"-5" pieces
            1 medium onion, chopped
            1 small head of garlic (6-8 cloves), chopped
            1 large handful of fresh parsley or cilantro, chopped
            2 tsp Ras el Hanout
            2 tsp cumin
            1 1/4 tsp salt
            1 tsp saffron threads, gently heated then crumbled (saffron is expensive, can be omitted)
            1 tsp turmeric
            1 tsp ginger
            1/2 tsp black pepper
            1/2 tsp white pepper
            1/2 preserved lemon rind, finally chopped
            1/2 preserved lemon, cut into wedges
            1/4 cup olive oil
            3-4 cups Tbsp water
            1 tsp smen, optional. I didn't use smen. You could substitute ghee or butter.

Mix the meat with everything except the oil, smen, lemon wedges, and water. Put into the tangia pot and add the oil, smen, water and lemon wedges. Cover top with parchment paper then with foil and puncture two or three times with a fork. (I just used the lid on my bean pot) Place in cold oven, heat to 275* and cook 5-6 hours or until meat is fall-apart tender. Keep an eye on it so it doesn't dry out.

I'm thinking of adding some crushed tomatoes the next time I make this.

Click image for larger version  Name:	bostonbeans1.JPG Views:	0 Size:	136.1 KB ID:	806107
            Last edited by 58limited; February 23, 2020, 07:29 PM.

Comment

Some good stuff. Keep it up thank you.

Comment

I definitely need to give these a go... Some tasty looking stuff there. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

This is such a great topic. I've been wanting to cook on a tagine but the ones I find are too small for 6 servings, my minimum requirement. Since you gave us a link to larger tagines, I may order one of those.

I'm assuming I can cook these recipes just as well in a Boston bean pot, as you did one of them, or should I just go ahead and fork out the $$ for the largest tagine I can find?

Also, I have a ceramic cooktop in the house and an outdoor gas range as well. Which is better/safer for a tagine?

And finally, thank you so much for posting these recipes. Each one looks delicious. I love Moroccan Chicken with preserved lemons and olives. I make it in my Staub Dutch oven. I'm going to give your recipe a try then work through the others.

I'm eager to learn more about Moroccan and North African cooking, and you're a huge help. Thank you so much.

Kathryn

Comment

fzxdoc I'll get my Beldi out and measure it to verify its diameter but it is the big one. The Rifi tagine that I show in my recent posts in SUWYC should be able to feed 6 if you have other sides to go with the meal, otherwise it probably feeds 4. The meatball with egg tagine I cooked in the Rifi I divided into four servings because I used four eggs - they are BIG servings, especially since I served it over rice. An employee at my clinic raises chickens and has the small Bantam chickens; their eggs are half the size of store bought eggs. If feeding a crowd, I would use about 6 of those eggs and make six servings.

Sources I've seen recommend using a heat diffuser on the burner if not using a gas stove. Like cast iron, heat slowly. I learned the hard way to also put some oil in the bottom when heating. My big Beldi base broke when heating even though I was using the low simmer setting. Adding a couple of tablespoons of oil seems to help the clay absorb the heat better, and most recipes call for the oil anyway. Luckily, the top is the part that usually breaks (in shipping) so Berber Trading had a spare base to send to me. The chicken recipe above makes a lot, it may not all fit into the big Beldi tagine - that is partly because of the extra ingredients I decided to add to the original recipe: olives, capers, dates, and bell pepper.

If the tagine will fit you can put it in the oven or on the gas grill. Traditionally they are set on a charcoal brazier for cooking and the lid stays cooler to allow for condensation: https://www.berbertrading.com/pd-cha...r---majmar.cfm (currently out of stock).

Here is a link from the Berber Trading website to some recipes. At the bottom of the page you will find instructions for curing a new clay tagine. You should repeat this process if the tagine sits unused for several months. https://moroccantagine.wordpress.com/

There are several good cookbooks on North African cuisine. The most famous author is probably Paula Wolfert: http://www.paula-wolfert.com/
                    Last edited by 58limited; February 23, 2020, 08:48 AM.

Comment

fzxdoc The measurements of the big Beldi tagine are: outside diameter 15 inches. Inside diameter of cooking area is 12.5 inches and the cooking area is 1.75 inches deep.

To answer your question about using other cooking vessels: Sure you can. A Dutch oven works well. But, part of the magic of a tagine is the earthy taste from the clay and the previous cooks that season the clay. Plus it is really cool to serve out of the tagine at the table.
                      Last edited by 58limited; February 23, 2020, 08:45 AM.

Comment

I need to spend more time cooking and less time on this site. I am never going to catch up with all the stuff I want to try.

Comment

• surfdog
                          surfdog commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Isn't that the truth.
                          It seems like every time I check in there's something new to add to the, ever growing, list.

Recipe 7

A quick and new-to-me recipe: Sausage and Egg Tagine

https://www.thespruceeats.com/morocc...recipe-2394499

This literally took about 30 minutes total time to make. I used 12 oz. of venison and pork sausage a friend had made at Slovacek Sausage in Snook, Tx. No olives - I was out. I added a serrano pepper and some garlic. I dusted the top at the end with smoked paprika in addition to the salt and cumin.
                        Ingredients
                        • 8 ounces/225 grams merguez (or other sausage)
                        • 1 large onion (finely chopped)
                        • 2 medium tomatoes (peeled, seeded and chopped)
                        • Handful of olives (green, pitted, sliced)
                        • 1/2 teaspoon salt
                        • 1/2 teaspoon cumin
                        • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper (or 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper)
                        • Small handful of chopped cilantro (or parsley)
                        • 6 large eggs
                        • Salt (to taste)
                        • Cumin (to taste)
                        • Garnish: cilantro (chopped or parsley)
                        Steps to Make It
                        • Cook the sausage in a large skillet or in the base of a tagine until the meat tests as done. (If there is a large amount of fat from the sausage, remove the excess, leaving enough to continue cooking. If the sausage was low-fat, you may need to add a little olive oil to the pan at this point.)
                        • Add the onion, tomatoes, olives, and seasoning and cook for about 5 minutes.
                        • Pour the eggs directly over the sausage and veggies.
                        • Break the yolks, and allow the eggs to simmer until set. (To help this along, you can lift the edges of the eggs as they cook and tip the pan to allow uncooked egg to run underneath and cook faster.)

If cooking the eggs in a tagine, cover the eggs and allow them to poach until done.
                        • Dust the top of the cooked eggs with cumin and salt to taste, garnish with a little chopped parsley, and serve.
                        • Enjoy!

Sauteing the veggies and sausage

Click image for larger version  Name:	100_3028.JPG Views:	0 Size:	1.31 MB ID:	807272
                          I only had 5 eggs.

Click image for larger version  Name:	100_3029.JPG Views:	0 Size:	900.1 KB ID:	807273

Done!

Click image for larger version  Name:	100_3030.JPG Views:	0 Size:	974.1 KB ID:	807274

Mmmm

Click image for larger version  Name:	100_3031.JPG Views:	0 Size:	1.16 MB ID:	807275

Comment

Oh goody, I'm glad you posted the sausage/egg tagine recipe here as well so I only have to look on one topic to find the delicious stuff.

I'm thinking about that 12" dishwasher-safe one that's on the site you recommended. I'm assuming that if it's dishwasher safe, the pan is glazed as well as the lid. A little voice in my head (it could be yours) is telling me that this is not authentic, plus that I should go with the 14" food safe only one, since I want one that serves 6 people. I'm wondering about how easy they are to clean. Thoughts?

Kathryn

Comment

• 58limited
                            58limited commented
                            Editing a comment
                            fzxdoc I clean mine immediately after cooking while the residues are still wet and soft. I simply rinse and occasionally use a dish brush, that is all.

Glazed is fine, there are several designed for cooking as well as serving. Depends on your situation as for which one to buy.

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here