Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bologna smoke time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bologna smoke time

What is the best temperature at which to smoke a bologna chub and at what internal temperature should it be pulled?

I do these at 240 on my pellet pooper. Takes about 1.5-2 hours to an IT of 140ish depending on diameter of the chub.

Comment

• tsutton81
      tsutton81 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. I will target that temp.

Welcome to the Pit! I've never tried this so please take us along with you on this new adventure.

Comment

• tsutton81
      tsutton81 commented
      Editing a comment
      Will do.

Welcome to The Pit. Sorry, but I just grill thick slices of bologna and have never smoked a whole one.

Comment

Is this bologna pre-cooked??

Comment

• Backroadmeats
        Backroadmeats commented
        Editing a comment
        I make lots of venison bologna for people!! I didn't know if he made bologna at home?? None of my bologna is cooked until it goes in my smoker..

• tsutton81
        tsutton81 commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes

• Backroadmeats
        Backroadmeats commented
        Editing a comment
        Then I would do as others have stated. Cut in slices 3/4 inch thick or so a cook to a i.t. of 140ish

Here is a post with some info. My next one will be sliced first to maximize surface for the smoke and then finished over heat on the kettle. Guess it would be a Bologna Reverse Sear.

Smoked Beef Bologna - Pitmaster Club (amazingribs.com)

Comment

• tsutton81
        tsutton81 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks. Looks great.

I don’t know why I didn’t post about this when I made it (maybe I did but I can’t find it). I made this in the fall of 2019. It was great. I took it to work then grilled up thick slices there to reheat and just served it on sandwich bread.

Looking at my photo diary I first scored the bologna and then rubbed the whole thing down with mustard. I then added a rib rub and smoked it for two hours running around 250. I then brushed a BBQ sauce over the whole chub and smoked it for about 45 minutes longer. Here are some photos from my cook.

Click image for larger version

Name:	545CFEFF-7187-4CAC-8F32-AEC1B97E0D16.jpeg
Views:	358
Size:	190.4 KB
ID:	999699

Name:	B261ABA5-A767-43B2-B6FA-716EB28BAC95.jpeg
Views:	322
Size:	198.0 KB
ID:	999700

Name:	74517AC9-5775-4081-A0DF-1EA66408E989.jpeg
Views:	319
Size:	129.0 KB
ID:	999701

Name:	BC3739B4-1488-4A4E-BFB7-63175170F4AD.jpeg
Views:	324
Size:	149.7 KB
ID:	999703

Name:	1C51BE91-6DD9-4CE9-9287-24B93A3EC69B.jpeg
Views:	311
Size:	152.3 KB
ID:	999702

Comment

• Jfrosty27
        Jfrosty27 commented
        Editing a comment
        No that’s what I’m talking about! Yummy.

This is a 3# chub. I scored it and rubbed it with the Barbecue Shop's Dancing Pig Sauce, salt and pepper. Smoked about 4
      hours at 240. ​ Cut 1/4 inch slices and grilled with American cheese on toasted buns. It was a hit. Thanks for all the input.

Comment

Welcome aboard. Never done one before. I know Malcom Reed has recipes on his site. Interested..

Comment

• tsutton81
          tsutton81 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks. I saved that link.

Smoking-meat.com. Jeff Phillips site has several. All really tasty. Check them out.

Comment

• tsutton81
          tsutton81 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks, bookmarked it.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here