Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Meathead Bacon Cure Recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meathead Bacon Cure Recipe

I was just curious as to why the Meathead Simple Bacon Recipe has changed again? It seemed a bit drastic to change the recipe from 1/4 cup of distilled water per pound of bacon, to 3 cups of distilled water per pound of bacon. Now we are back to 1/4 cup, but with reduced #1 Pink Curing Salt, and other slight modifications in salt and seasonings. Are we just chasing PPM of nitrites here, but trying to maintain a flavorful brine?
    Last edited by Shane Rakow; December 21, 2016, 12:22 AM. Reason: my typing sucks

He changed it to be more in line with current FDA recommendations of nitrite ppm, which are conservative. Then because of reader complaints he changed it back. It's still within the FDA guidelines though. His bacon recipe page explains this recent series of changes.

Comment

• Shane Rakow
      Shane Rakow commented
      Editing a comment
      10-4. I just looked at the recipe as I have read the article a dozen times or so. Thanks, Huskee.

It has been QUITE the roller coaster.

Comment

• Shane Rakow
      Shane Rakow commented
      Editing a comment
      It sure has, Jerod. I'm still scratching my head at going back to 1/4 cup of water, lowering the # pink cure salt. AND reducing cure time by 2+ days.The cure time reduction confused me. I never went with the 3 cups of water recipe, but a buddy did, and he was trying to rescue 11lbs of belly.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/bbq-stars","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/tuffy-stone","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/meathead","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/harry-soo","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/matt-pittman","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/kent-rollins","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/dean-fearing","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/tim-grandinetti","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/kent-phillips-brett-gallaway","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/david-bouska","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/ariane-daguin","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/jack-arnold","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here