Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Himalayan Pink Rock Salt verses Kosher Salt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Himalayan Pink Rock Salt verses Kosher Salt

I have ran out of Kosher Salt to brine a Gobbler for the smoker on Sunday so over to the grocery store today.
    $5.97 for a box of KS. Last time it got a box it was $1.09 of something. Yeesh....or, am I 'that' old....
    I remembered I had a bottle of Himalayan Pink Rock Salt at home so hopped Googled and asked the question: which is better KS or HPS?
    The answer was, the way I understood it, was....not much at all.
    They are extremely close in make up, KS is preferred, very slightly, but, according to this article HPS actually has more minerals in it thus enhancing its taste.
    Because of this articles praises I'm going to go with HPS over KS to brine the ol Gobbler.
    Your thoughts.

If you haven't already, give this article a read through: https://amazingribs.com/more-techniq...s/science-salt

Comment

• smokin fool
      smokin fool commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you and for the re-direct.
      I had read this before, but still my question is, which would be better or preferred.

• Argoboy
      Argoboy commented
      Editing a comment
      I buy KS at Bulk Barn now.

I doubt using Himalayan salt vs. Kosher salt in a brine will impact the taste much, if at all. Just make sure to use same amount as you would kosher salt by weight, not by volume.

Comment

• smokin fool
      smokin fool commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree on the taste aspect.
      Because of previous times I've brined turkeys I use a quarter of the salt called for in most recipes.
      I think I'm just being cheap and trying to rationalize using HPS because I have it already.

I guess then that it all depends on what you have access to at any given moment. Me, I use Morton's coarse kosher, but I also have table salt (of course) and pink Himalayan but that's mostly for show. And like shify mentions sub either/or by weight. At the end of the day, the brisket on your plate will taste properly salted with either if you did it right.

Comment

I pretty much use Pink Himalayan salt exclusively. No particular reason except that I've been using it for years and I'm used to it: granule size, etc.

Comment

So, here’s the deal: if you sub by weight, then no one is gonna tell the difference. No one.

The big thing about HPS is when used at the table, by sprinkling it on afterwards. Try a pinch of regular table salt. Just taste it, make sure you swirl it around in your mouth. now rinse your mouth with a glass of water, and do the same with HPS. The latter has a much smoother finish (compare to top/middle/bottom notes when testing perfumes) , much more pleasant on the palate. That’s how HPS should be used. If you use it in a brine it will work equally well, but is kind of a waste of money in my opinion.

Comment

• Willy
          Willy commented
          Editing a comment
          I’d suggest tasting the HPS first.

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          Good point Willy, I agree.

I believe Mr. Ed says that, "A horse is a horse, of course, of course...."

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        Rubs Promo

Spotlight

These are not ads or paid placements. These are some of our favorite tools and toys.

These are products we have tested, won our top awards, and are highly recommend. Click here to read how we test, about our medals, and what they mean.

Use Our Links To Help Keep Us Alive

A big part of this site is our unbiased equipment and product reviews. We love playing with toys and we have no problem calling them the way we see them. Some companies pay a finder’s fee if a reader clicks a link on AmazingRibs.com and buys a product. It has zero impact on our reviews, zero impact on the price you pay, and the sites never tell us what you bought, but it has a major impact on our ability to keep this site alive! So before you buy, please click our links. Here’s a link that takes you to a page on Amazon that has some of our favorite tools and toys: https://tinyurl.com/amazingribs

The Efficiency Of A Kamado Plus The Flexibility Of The Slow ‘N Sear Insert

kamado grill
        Built around SnS Grill’s patented Slow ‘N Sear charcoal kettle accessory, this 22-inch kamado is a premium ceramic grill that brings true 2-zone cooking to a kamado.

Click here for our article on this exciting cooker

Surely you know somebody who loves outdoor cooking who deserves a gift for the holidays, birthday, anniversary, or just for being wonderful. There he is, right in the mirror! Here are our selections of best ideas, all Platinum or Gold Medalists, listed by price.

Click here to see our list of Gold Medal Gifts

Our Favorite Backyard Smoker

The amazing Karubecue is the most innovative smoker in the world. The quality of meat from this machine is astonishing. At its crux is a patented firebox that burns logs above the cooking chamber and sucks heat and extremely clean blue smoke into the thermostat controlled oven. It is our favorite smoker, period.
        Click here for our review of this superb smoker

Blackstone Rangetop Combo: Griddle And Deep Fryer In One

The flat top does the burgers and the fryer does the fries. Use the griddle for bacon, eggs, grilled cheese, and so much more. And why deep fry indoors when you can avoid the smell and mess by doing it outside!

Click here to read our detailed review and to order

The Cool Kettle With The Hinged Hood We Always Wanted

Napoleon’s 22″ Pro Cart Charcoal Kettle Grill puts a few spins on the familiar kettle design. In fact, the hinged lid with a handle on the front, spins in a rotary motion 180 degrees. It’s hard to beat a Weber kettle, but Napoleon holds its own and adds some unique features to make the 22″ Pro Cart a viable alternative.

Click here for more about what makes this grill special

Grilla Pellet Smoker proves good things come in small packages

We always liked Grilla. The small 31.5″ x 29.5″ footprint makes it ideal for use where BBQ space is limited, as on a condo patio.
        Click here for our review on this unique smoker

Masterbuilt MPS 340/G ThermoTemp XL Propane Smoker

This is the first propane smoker with a thermostat, making this baby foolproof. Set ThermoTemp’s dial from 175° to 350°F and the thermostat inside will adjust the burner just like an indoor kitchen oven. All you need to do is add wood to the tray above the burner to start smokin’.

Click here to read our detailed review