Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Himalayan Pink Rock Salt verses Kosher Salt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Himalayan Pink Rock Salt verses Kosher Salt

I have ran out of Kosher Salt to brine a Gobbler for the smoker on Sunday so over to the grocery store today.
    $5.97 for a box of KS. Last time it got a box it was $1.09 of something. Yeesh....or, am I 'that' old....
    I remembered I had a bottle of Himalayan Pink Rock Salt at home so hopped Googled and asked the question: which is better KS or HPS?
    The answer was, the way I understood it, was....not much at all.
    They are extremely close in make up, KS is preferred, very slightly, but, according to this article HPS actually has more minerals in it thus enhancing its taste.
    Because of this articles praises I'm going to go with HPS over KS to brine the ol Gobbler.
    Your thoughts.

If you haven't already, give this article a read through: https://amazingribs.com/more-techniq...s/science-salt

Comment

• smokin fool
      smokin fool commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you and for the re-direct.
      I had read this before, but still my question is, which would be better or preferred.

• Argoboy
      Argoboy commented
      Editing a comment
      I buy KS at Bulk Barn now.

I doubt using Himalayan salt vs. Kosher salt in a brine will impact the taste much, if at all. Just make sure to use same amount as you would kosher salt by weight, not by volume.

Comment

• smokin fool
      smokin fool commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree on the taste aspect.
      Because of previous times I've brined turkeys I use a quarter of the salt called for in most recipes.
      I think I'm just being cheap and trying to rationalize using HPS because I have it already.

I guess then that it all depends on what you have access to at any given moment. Me, I use Morton's coarse kosher, but I also have table salt (of course) and pink Himalayan but that's mostly for show. And like shify mentions sub either/or by weight. At the end of the day, the brisket on your plate will taste properly salted with either if you did it right.

Comment

I pretty much use Pink Himalayan salt exclusively. No particular reason except that I've been using it for years and I'm used to it: granule size, etc.

Comment

So, here’s the deal: if you sub by weight, then no one is gonna tell the difference. No one.

The big thing about HPS is when used at the table, by sprinkling it on afterwards. Try a pinch of regular table salt. Just taste it, make sure you swirl it around in your mouth. now rinse your mouth with a glass of water, and do the same with HPS. The latter has a much smoother finish (compare to top/middle/bottom notes when testing perfumes) , much more pleasant on the palate. That’s how HPS should be used. If you use it in a brine it will work equally well, but is kind of a waste of money in my opinion.

Comment

• Willy
          Willy commented
          Editing a comment
          I’d suggest tasting the HPS first.

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          Good point Willy, I agree.

I believe Mr. Ed says that, "A horse is a horse, of course, of course...."

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here