Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Huskee's Classic Fajita Seasoning Recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Huskee's Classic Fajita Seasoning Recipe

I don't think I ever officially posted this so here it is- my take on a classic homemade Fajita Seasoning. I owe credit to Ernest and bbqoaf for their help. I used their recipes, combined a little from each, then tasted and added more of this, more of that, repeat repeat, until I arrived at what I was looking for.

Use good spices, not the bargain bin cheap ones, please.

Huskee's Classic Fajita Seasoning

Makes just under 1/2 cup
    • 2 Tbsp chili powder
    • 1.5 Tbsp garlic powder
    • 1 Tbsp onion powder
    • 1 Tbsp ground cumin
    • 1 Tbsp paprika (for color)
    • 1/2 Tbsp coarse ground black pepper
    • 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg (don't skip this)
    • Pinch (maybe 1/4 tsp?) white sugar

Also you may notice there's no salt- make sure to dry brine! (My wife didn't know it was saltless when I first made it, so she used this on some chicken and sent it with me to work. Lol )

Thankee, Brother(s)

Comment

Looks great. Thank you.

Comment

Nice! Any particular brand of chili powder?

Comment

• N227GB
          N227GB commented
          Editing a comment
          I bet Flatiron Pepper Company would be a good choice.

• fkrall
          fkrall commented
          Editing a comment
          Spice House for everything

• SheilaAnn
          SheilaAnn commented
          Editing a comment
          Penzeys is a go-to for me. Can’t wait to try this!

Thanks, and nice tagging too.

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          I gotta get in the habit to help future proof our recipe posts

Huskee Did you ever try using that mix to make a marinade, like adding tequila and olive oil? I can't find it right now, but I have a printed recipe in one of our cookbooks that is a bit more cumin centric that uses most of the same ingredients with the added liquor and oil to make an over-night marinade for flap/skirt steak for fajita's.

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          My wife uses a marinade that uses tequila and lime juice and it's one of our all time favorites, but no I haven't used this in it. I should try it though.

• GolfGeezer
          GolfGeezer commented
          Editing a comment
          Ah yes, that's the ingredient I forgot - Lime juice! And fresh minced garlic instead of dried, at least for a marinade.

Thanks! I just cut and pasted this into my Recipe database (a folder in my iCloud notes, that show up on my iPad/iPhone/iMac.)

Comment

Thanks, I'll be using this.

Comment

Much appreciated Huskee

Comment

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              Credit where due, friend. You've inspired me in more ways than this!

A paste made with warm oil and the spices will do the trick. I really don't waste time with marinades as spices do not penetrate meats but the paste will help with releasing the spice oils and maybe help get the spices to stick to the meat.

Comment

• Craigar
              Craigar commented
              Editing a comment
              Ernest Interesting. I will have to give this a shot. Have you tried using chili oil? Just curious if it would add anything, flavor wise.

• Troutman
              Troutman commented
              Editing a comment
              That's actually a good hack. Been doing something similar with large cuts of late. Why cooks continue to taut the "leave a seasoned up roast" in the fridge overnight is beyond me.

Craigar yes I have and still do use chili oil. I seal a bag of oil filled with dried chilies and sous vide at 140 degrees for about 12 hours. Use the oil for cooking, making spice pastes etc.
            ​​​

Comment

Sounds very tasty!! I'm givin' this bad boy a try!!
              Thanks for the share!

Comment

Huskee e I have 3 flank steaks to make fajitas tonight for my son's 26th birthday dinner. I've just salted the meat, and plan to go out into the cold and fire up the flat top or maybe the Genesis for this cook. Do I just coat the steaks with the seasoning before hitting the grill? Any time I made fajitas before, it was using a marinade. I am also grilling onions and peppers with the steaks.

Any advice appreciated!

Comment

• Huskee
                  Huskee commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That'll work, and/or sprinkle it in the sliced up meat & onions/peppers to taste afterward.

Thanks for the recipe. I will try it very soon.

Comment

Nutmeg huh? Every try a little cinnamon as well?

Comment

• Huskee
                    Huskee commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I haven't, not in this anyway.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here