Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Poultry Brine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Poultry Brine

Good morning all.

This could be used for either chicken or turkey. I assume it could also be used for duck, hens, and any other poultry
    • 1 gallon warm water
    • ¾ cup kosher salt
    • â…” cup sugar
    • ¾ cup soy sauce
    • ¼ cup olive oil

Instructions Checklist
    • Pour the warm water into a container that is twice the volume of the water. Pour in the salt, sugar, soy sauce, and olive oil. Stir until the sugar and salt have dissolved, then allow the brine to cool to room temperature*
    • Place chicken in the brine, cover, and refrigerate two hours for skinless poultry, 4 hours for bone-in pieces, and 4 hours to overnight for whole turkeys or chickens.
    • Drain and pat the chicken dry before cooking.

Note: Yields - one gallon of brine is enough for 6 pounds of whole chicken or bone-in chicken pieces, and up to 10 pounds of skinless, boneless chicken breasts
    *no need to bring water to a boil

I like your ratio of .75C salt to 1 gal water. Sometimes I see 1C to 1 gal, and that's too strong.

I always rinse the chicken after removing from the brine.

Comment

I use a variation of that recipe, but way less salt for my taste considering your using soy sauce too.
      I found some parts just too salty for our taste, especially the gravy if you save the pan drippings.
      Mines kind of a witches brew depending what's in the pantry, rough measurements I'm not building a rocket ship.

1 gallon water
      1/4 cup Kosher or pink salt
      1 cup brown sugar
      peppercorns to taste
      couple of bay leaves
      sage to taste
      Onion sliced
      lemon or orange sliced
      Worchester sauce to taste
      beer or red wine
      Whatever.... like your soy sauce but I'd go with a 1/4 cup

Boil it up, cool to room temp and put in the chicken or turkey to get happy.
      I don't wet brine for more than 12 hours with the container in the fridge or on ice, garage in the winter.

Comment

• Daba's BBQ
        Daba's BBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        sounds yummy!

Thanks, an interesting recipe

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here