Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoked Duck Recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoked Duck Recipe

Ingredients:
    -Whole duck ~5lbs
    -2 oranges (i used navel)
    -bunch of fresh thyme
    -whole fresh ginger root
    -salt and pepper to brine and season to taste
    -rub of choice (in this case i used oakridge secret weapon). This rub has a good amount of brown sugar in it which obviously helps with the skin color

Directions:
    1. Thaw the duck over 2 days in the fridge
    2. Remove neck and giblets from the cavity if included
    3. Rinse and dry thoroughly, inside and out
    4. Trim excess fat from neck and tail
    5. Using a corn on the cob spike (or something similar), poke many holes into the skin and fat trying not to penetrate the meat. This gives the rendering fat somewhere to drain and will help crisp up the skin. You want to make sure that fat has somewhere to go so it renders off as ducks have a ton of fat
    6. Salt and pepper inside and out (note, my duck was pre-brined in a 12% solution so i went light on the salt here so do whatever feels right)
    7. Add second layer of seasoning with your rub of choice. I added here instead of right before the cook since the rub had a decent amount of salt and hence would aid in the dry brine.
    8. Fridge it overnight ~24 hours

Salt and pepper seasoning
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-0959.jpg Views:	99 Size:	2.82 MB ID:	943370

Second layer of seasoning added
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-0960.jpg Views:	76 Size:	3.29 MB ID:	943371

9. After brining we are rdy to stuff it. I used the oranges, fresh thyme, and fresh ginger. Just stuff it in the cavity. Adds flavor and also helps to plum the breasts up since they tend to sag down in ducks (insert jokes here)
    10. Cross stitch the butt closed with a wooden skewer

Post brine, stuffed, and stitched
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-0961.jpg Views:	76 Size:	2.44 MB ID:	943373
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-0962.jpg Views:	76 Size:	2.56 MB ID:	943374

11. Get your smoker fired up, shoot for 325-350 with wood of choice. I used apple and cherry
    12. Get the bird on, breasts away from the heat source if using a kettle/PK etc style grill. In this case it was on my PKO with about a half chimney lit and another half unlit in the fire basket, side by side.
    13. Cook until desired doneness. I was shooting for about 145-150 in the breast as i like it still with some pink but its whatever works for you that you feel comfortable with. Mine took about 1hr 30min, maybe a little less.
    14. Remove from grill and loosely tent in foil to rest and bring breast temp up to ~150-155
    15. Carve and enjoy!

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-0963.JPG Views:	77 Size:	1.26 MB ID:	943372

I've never cooked duck, I need to try this. Thanks for the detailed instructions.

Comment

Excellent write up, thanks!

Comment

Very nice, thanks!

Comment

Thanks for the write-up!

Comment

Very nice! Thank you for this. Bookmarked.

Comment

Great recipe! Save the duck fat drippings for other cooks. Or put quartered red or Yukon gold potatoes with a little rosemary and minced garlic in a pan under the duck while it cooks. They will be done in about the same time as the duck and it will be an added treat.

Comment

• grantgallagher
                grantgallagher commented
                Editing a comment
                I wish i had thought of that. Next time!

• wu7y
                wu7y commented
                Editing a comment
                Yeah, I'm sorry I got here late but from your great photos I kinda thought there will be a next time. Great job on that bird.

That is a good write-up GG. Last time I did a whole duck it was a bloody disaster. Came out looking real nice but was tough as all get out. To this day not sure what I did wrong. Plus the fact that we have so many Asian markets that make it and boy are they delicious. Hope yours was better than mine !!!

(+1 on the Secret Weapon. I buy the large size bags of that stuff, use it on all of my poultry!!)

Comment

• grantgallagher
                grantgallagher commented
                Editing a comment
                Troutman It was juicy and tender. First one ive done, could be due to it being pre-brined or just blind luck.

looks good.
              You Done Good.

Comment

great recipe. i was using sour apples and oranges, never tried ginger inside. our family loves ducks.

Thank you

Comment

Have been wanting to make a tea smoked duck for some time now.

Comment

Please forgive me if this is a dumb question, but I don’t have much experience with duck and I just bought a 6#-er for Xmas:
                    I’m working with a cabinet-style propane smoker. Should I fill and use the water pan beneath the pan for catching the fat, or use 1 pan for both water and drippings like when I smoke a turkey?

Comment

• grantgallagher
                      grantgallagher commented
                      Editing a comment
                      1truBob not sure i completely follow but i would stick with what you tested for turkey. You def want something to catch all the fat that comes off though.

• 1truBob
                      1truBob commented
                      Editing a comment
                      What I was clumsily trying to ask was whether to use a separate water pan below, in addition to, the drippings pan to catch the fat. When I smoke a turkey, I use one pan - an enameled-steel pan that starts with water, bay leaves, and some vegetables, collects the drippings, and becomes the gravy.

Love those knives! Oh yeah, nice duck, too.

Comment

For reference, here’s my turkey setup. I’ve taken out the water pan that came with the smoke vault, which normally sits right above the wood tray, and placed my enameled drippings pan on the bottom cooking rack. For a duck, I’m wondering if I should use both pans, or go with the same setup shown here.
                    Attached Files

Comment

• rickgregory
                      rickgregory commented
                      Editing a comment
                      If you want to use the duck fat, I'd use a separate pan. If not, what you show will work. Remember ducks are much smaller - you could have it and the pan for drippings on one side and a water pan on the other... or one above the other
                      Last edited by rickgregory; December 26, 2020, 05:27 PM.

When you say you prebrined the duck did you inject the salt solution into the breast etc. or just drop the whole bird into the solution? I'm doing a duck in a week when friends come and I was thinking of injecting the breasts.

Comment

• grantgallagher
                      grantgallagher commented
                      Editing a comment
                      rdpchef this one came from costco and was already wet brined or injected with brine. Not sure which but either way i didnt do that step myself.

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here