Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spinaker's Dutch Oven Máquina De Carnitas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spinaker's Dutch Oven Máquina De Carnitas

I love making carnitas, so I thought I would share my recipe with all of you. This is just my take, there are many recipes out there but this is what I have come up with over the years. I hope you can give it a try and enjoy. Peace!
    -Spinaker

Dutch Oven Máquina de Carnitas

Ingredients

Rub (per batch of rub, two total)
    1-Tablepoon coarse or Kosher sea salt
    1-Tablespoon ground cumin
    1-Tablespoon chipotle powder
    2-Teaspoon garlic powder
    2-Teaspoon dried oregano
    2-Teaspoon onion powder
    1-Teaspoon ground black pepper

*Note: We are going to make one batch of rub for the marinade, and one for the meat. We will use some rub when we add the veggies to the Dutch Oven and when we add the smoked meat to the dutch oven.*

Optional for Marinade:
    64-Oz Orange Juice
    -OR-
    64-OZ Margarita Mix (Sweeter flavor profile)

Meat
    Large 5 lb.-8 lb. Pork shoulder
    Optional: 2 lbs.- Pork Belly

Veggies/Fruit
    1-Large Yellow Onion
    1-Head of Garlic
    2-Jalapenos
    2-Large Dark Green Limes

Method
    1. Start by combining all of the ingredients listed above for the carnitas rub. I like to combine it all into a large stainless steel bowl.
    2. Cut pork shoulder into 4 equal parts. This will give you more bark during the smoking process. Additionally, it will speed up the smoking process.
    3. Once rub is added to the bowl, add Orange Juice or Marg Mix and stir thoroughly. Make sure salt is dissolved. I like to use an emulsifier to mix it in the bowl.
    4. Squeeze juice of one lime into the bowl mixture.
    5. Add pork shoulder to mixture and let it marinade in the fridge, overnight. I will remix the bowl before heading to bed, just to make sure things are covered and well mixed.
    6. Chop onion, garlic and jalapenos. Add it to the Dutch Oven and add a dusting of rub. Place Dutch oven in the fridge overnight.
    7. 8-12 hours later, remove the meat from the bowl place on cutting board. (You can go longer if desired)
    8. Add another batch of dry rub to the meat and set aside.
    9. Set up smoker to smoke at 275 F
    10. Add smoking wood. ( I like to use oak, hickory or cherry)
    11. Add meat to the smoker and allow it to cook until the surface of the meat is nice barky, brown color. Once the meat has reached about 180 F-185 F internal temperature, remove the meat from the smoker and add it to the Dutch oven.
    12. Once the meat is added to the Dutch Oven, add water or low sodium chicken stock until the meat is mostly covered. Then add the lid to the Dutch oven.
    13. Place in a 325 F oven, smoker, grill. I like to use coals from a live fire, but the is not totally necessary.
    14. Allow the meat to braise for about 1-2 hours. Keep the lid on but keep an eye on it. You want some crispy meat to form on the edges but do not let it burn.
    15. Once most of the stock has reduced, remove the Dutch oven from the heat.
    16. Add juice of final lime to the top of the meat.
    17. Roast Blue corn tortillas over an open flame until browned.
    18. Add your own taco fixin’s and carnitas meat.
    19. Serve and Enjoy!

Optional step: Fry braised meat on a hot griddle with some lard for extra crispy goodness. I highly recommend this step.

Suggested serving sides for tacos: sliced radish, Cacique Creama Mexicana Table Cream, cilantro, white onion, Pico De Gallo, hot salsa, pickled onions, blue corn tortillas.

Sounds delicious

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks!

Thank you, I am going to give this a try. It looks great.

Comment

Thank you!

Comment

On the list! Thanks!

Comment

So how much rub are you dissolving into the OJ and how much are you keeping back for step 8? Is it 2 batches of rub?

Comment

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            One batch goes in the marinade. You make another for the rub before smoking. So two batches of rub.

• Dan Deter
            Dan Deter commented
            Editing a comment
            Awesome, that part had me confused. Thanks!

Another must try. I need to moving.

Comment

Pictures please. Cochinita pibil could probably be made in a similar fashion. Got me thinking.

Comment

• SheilaAnn
              SheilaAnn commented
              Editing a comment
              texastweeter ok…. You are not wrong. Just need banana leaves, I think?

There is a place here in LA that has the best conchita pibil i have ever had. Granted, I have never been to Yucatán.

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              I will post some pictures once I get to my desk

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              Added, see below!

Sounds good!

Comment

Ok, I downloaded this; despite all the steps, it looks pretty simple. Two questions:

1) Chili powder, as in powdered dried red ancho, or as in Gebhart’s chili powder? One is pure chilis, the other is chili peppers with cumin, garlic, etc.

2) Do you have a preference for OJ or margarita mix? Those are pretty different things.

Comment

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                I actually use chipotle powder more than anything. Because it has us smokier flavor profile. And I will use margarita. Mix if I want a little bit sweeter flavor profile. Mosca I am loving all of these questions. It helps me work through my recipes.👌

• Mosca
                Mosca commented
                Editing a comment
                Okay, chipotle powder makes sense. I’ll probably use ancho powder when I make it, then. Folks can add hot to their own level.

I'll second that option of frying the shredded meat...........those extra crispy edges on the chunks/shreds is enjoyable layer of texture.

Comment

• SheilaAnn
                SheilaAnn commented
                Editing a comment
                Best part of carnitas is the crunchies!

Here are a few pictures of the process as requested.

This is the OJ version of the marinade. (I also threw some sliced pork belly in there, so forgive me. ) This has the first batch of rub in it. The other batch of rub is used after we take it out of the marinade.
              Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9611.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.66 MB ID:	1374703
              Here are the raw veggies in the dutch oven, with some rub thrown in from the second batch of rub we make.
              Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9612.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.82 MB ID:	1374704
              Once you have the meat out of the marinade and ready to smoke, add the rub and let the meat smoke until it looks similar to the picture below. You really do not need to worry about the internal temp, we are really just going for color here.
              Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9615.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.01 MB ID:	1374705
              After removing the meat from the smoker, add it to the dutch oven and break it up as much as you can. I like to help the meat break up before adding the stock to the mix. Again, add some more rub to the top, once you have added the meat.
              Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9619.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.59 MB ID:	1374706
              Here is what it should look like after braising. The onions and peppers are pretty much cooked all the way down. I wish I could post a smell with this picture because the aroma is Divine.
              Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9628.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.96 MB ID:	1374707
              Carnitas Tacos!
              Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9631.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.18 MB ID:	1374708

Comment

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                fzxdoc Kathryn, it’s certainly no trouble. I am happy you are going to give this a shot!😊 Yep, lid off towards the end. About the last 1/2 hr or so. It is not totally needed but it adds a nice crunch and flavor punch. Just mix it all back up at the end, after cooking.

You certainly can put it in a plastic bag over night. I just like to preload the Dutch. Saves on plastic bags and then all I gotta do is load it into the smoker.

• fzxdoc
                fzxdoc commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks for the additional info, Spinaker . I'm excited to give your recipe a try.

Kathryn

• Sweaty Paul
                Sweaty Paul commented
                Editing a comment
                Looks awesome! Thanks for sharing.

Looks grand

Comment

Fantastic John! If you tell me where the Sauna is actually located I promise to never tell any other Pit Member the location (says Skip with fingers crossed)

Comment

• HawkerXP
                  HawkerXP commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The sauna would be one thing, but jumping into the frozen stream is another. Brrrr...

• Spinaker
                  Spinaker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  oooooh, I will admit, I was thinking of the OJ Brentwood. Either way, you are welcome to join us, if you wanna try out some winter temps and north, midwest hospitality. ofelles

• Spinaker
                  Spinaker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That is the part that keeps you alive! HawkerXP

I was hoping you'd post this recipe. Thanks a bunch!

It's in Paprika now in my "On Deck Recipes" category. That's how badly I want to try it.

Kathryn

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here