Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shrimp Bisque Recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shrimp Bisque Recipe

This is one of my favorite creations, good enough to serve to company!

Peel 3 lbs medium shrimp and use shells for stock

1 cup leeks, chopped
    1/2 cup celery, chopped
    1/2 cup bell pepper, chopped
    1 clove garlic, minced
    2 sticks salted butter. divided
    1 cup flour, divided
    5 cups shrimp stock, divided
    2 lbs Peeled shrimp, divided
    1 cup white wine (Chardonnay)
    2 cups heavy whipping cream
    2 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp white pepper
    1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
    1/4 tsp thyme leaves
    1 tsp lemon juice
    1/4 cup fresh chopped parsley

Stock:

Shells (and heads if using whole shrimp) from three pounds of shrimp
    8 cups water
    1 medium onion, quartered
    1 celery stalk, cut up, plus the leafy heads from the celery bundle
    1/2 handful parsley leaves and stems
    1 carrot split and cut up
    1-2 cloves garlic, cut in large pieces
    bell pepper scraps (core and left over pepper, 1 bell pepper is more than the 1/2 cup needed in the saute)
    leek scraps (but not the big leaves - just a little of the pale green part just above the white part)
    1 bay leaf
    1 tsp salt

Make stock by combining all stock ingredients except shrimp shells/heads. Bring to a boil, lower heat, cover, and simmer for 1-2 hours. Add shrimp shells/heads and simmer for 30 minutes. Strain out all of the solids and discard.

Melt 1 stick of butter in a skillet. Saute the leeks, bell pepper, and celery until soft. Add garlic when the saute is almost done. Transfer to a stock pot, continue to saute for 1 minute, add 1/4 cup flour, stir for 1 minute, add 4 cups shrimp stock and stir to blend the flour/veggie mixture. Add salt, white pepper, cayenne pepper, thyme, and lemon juice. Bring to boil, lower heat, cover and simmer 30 minutes.

Take 8 oz. shrimp and cube them. Add to the bisque and cook 10 minutes. Puree with an immersion blender or regular blender. Add 1 cup white wine, 1 cup shrimp stock, and 1/4 cup chopped parsley and bring to a boil. Add 1 1/2 lbs. shrimp and cook 10 minutes. Add 2 cups cream, bring to a light boil. Thicken with a slurry of 3/4 cup flour and water (or stock) to desired consistency, add 1 stick butter. Add more salt to taste, recipe should be a little salty (makes it richer). Serve - use the good china and silver

Yes, I know that the beginning calls for 3 lbs shrimp, peeled - the shells are for the stock and the recipe calls for 2 lbs of shrimp, I use the remaining shrimp for other cooking (shrimp kabobs usually).

Sorry, I made this last week and didn't take a picture of it in the bowl. Here it is finishing up on the stove.

Click image for larger version  Name:	100_2846a.jpg Views:	1 Size:	281.1 KB ID:	721408
    Last edited by 58limited; July 27, 2019, 12:42 PM.

Yes, please!

Comment

Another one on the must make list!

Comment

I don’t have time to read this whole post right now but I absolutely love shrimp and lobster bisque.
        Booked marked and will check it out as soon as I can.
        Thanks brother.

Comment

I would pay good money for a bowl of that.. yum!!

Comment

Wow that sounds good. Have added to my recipe collection. Thanks for the write up.

Comment

Good enough to serve company, eh? I think WE should be the judge of that, so when should we show up?

Comment

Huge fan of shrimp and/or lobster bisque. Thanks for posting this....

Comment

That might be good with crawfish, too.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                Rubs Promo
                Meat-Up in Memphis