Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

8.15.2016 Hot From The Pit Newsletter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

8.15.2016 Hot From The Pit Newsletter

Fired Up: August 2016
    Hot From The Pit is the newsletter for members of the AmazingRibs.com Pitmaster Club from David "Pit Boss" Parrish, andSarahlynn Pablo, Assistant Editor. If you like it, . And remember what Meathead always says: No rules in the bedroom or dining room!
    Meat-Up With Meathead In Paradise, February 2017, Bahamas (Updates!)

This grillin' n' chillin' experience will sell out, and we would love to see as many Pitmasters there as possible! There are only a few rooms available. I want to meat you face to face!
    It's February 23-26, 2017, at the Green Turtle Club Resort & Marina, on Green Turtle Cay in the Bahamas. The four-day event is a great blend of relaxation, celebration, and education. Many of your beloved Pitmaster Moderators will join in the fun, too, and fun it will be! Grilled local seafood, cookoff with steaks from Snake River Farm, pizza grilling on the beach, Joule sous vide, wood fired burgers with the BioLite Grill, dancing under the stars, an island cruise excursion to Munjack Island to check out the swimming pigs, with plenty of leisurely time to dive, snorkel, fish, socialize, and drink!
    The registration fee is $300 and it includes many of the meals and non-alcoholic drinks, and the special room rate at the resort is only $199/night, single or double occupancy, so bring your spouse!

In the most recent update from GrillGrate Brad (see photo below), he tells us: " Great deals on air-fare right now when you let the Green Turtle Club help you! They have a program with Silver Air who fly out of a couple of Florida airports. I encourage you to let the Club help you with the logistics. Call them for prices."

Click here to see the full schedule, photos of the Green Turtle Club Resort, and register to receive more information.
    If you have any questions about Meathead In Paradise February 2017, please do not hesitate to ask us in The Pit!
    No Matter If It Rains Or Snows,
    The Electronic Mail Must Go Through
    We know that some of you did not receive the special edition of Hot From The Pit newsletter announcement. We are working with our technical team to resolve email issues. In the meantime, we will archive all the Hot From The Pit issues in The Pit here moving forward. Please continue to let us know of any technical difficulties you experience. Thanks for making The Pit even hotter than ever!
    Greg Rempe Grills The PitBoss
    On The PitCast
    Be sure to check out my interview with Greg Rempe where we chat about how the Pitmaster Club got started, and, for the very first time, I share how the Slow 'N Sear was invented. I even talk about my barbecue bucket list item!

Get episode 16 of The PitCast hot off the grill!

Want to listen on your smartphone? Check it out the easy instructions Greg posted to listen on the go.
    Show Us What You Cooked,
    August Edition
    Where the rubber meets the road. Or in our case, where the rib meets the grill! For our first sample, here's Hackingbbq's ribs. His post includes a link to his blog with more notes!
    ecowper's Dino ribs and shortplate:
    Edward Hafer takes Serious Eats' cochinita pibil recipe on. According to Serious Eats, it's the " king of the Mayan barbecue pit."
    troymeister's rack o' lamb (and nice board, too!):
    bbqoaf hosted a stag party and these were the only pics taken:
    mr.brisket got a Rivergrille for Father's Day, and with it, he took a few chickens for a spin:

Wanna see more? Click here.
    Facebook Selfie Contest! Win a Camp Chef Pellet Grill & Smoker DLX (MSRP $750)! Ends August 31, 2016
    Are you on Facebook? Do you want a new pellet grill and smoker? Then get on theAmazingRibs.com Facebook page, and enter to win this Gold Medal-winning, Camp Chef Pellet grill & smoker! Here's how you do it:

Post a selfie with the book "Meathead, The Science Of Great Barbecue And Grilling" and say why you love it. Include the hashtag #MeatheadTheBook and you're entered (you must have an FB account)!

We've got entries rolling in, but Pitmasters, we don't want you to miss out. Enter today!
    Contest ends August 31, 2016. A winner will be selected by September 7 in a random drawing of qualified entries conducted by an independent sweepstakes administration company. To qualify, entrants must reside in the 50 United States or the District of Columbia and be at least 21 years old by July 26, 2016. Only one qualifying entry per Facebook account will be valid. No purchase necessary. Winners will be notified by Facebook Direct Message. Click here to read the complete rules.

Eye spy our assistant editor testing out the selfie! Love the enthusiasm! Any questions, ask us in The Pit.
    How To Kill A Summit Gasser By fzxdoc
    Often, our Pitmaster members share their stories of triumph in the form of perfectly smoke ring'ed brisket or finger lickin' good baby back ribs, usually in the Show Us What You're Cooking thread. We do hear the occasional cautionary tale, too. We learn best from our own mistakes, and The Pitmaster Club is fortunate to have an open sharing community whose mistakes we can learn from, too. The following cautionary tale is from fzxdoc: "How I Killed My Summit Gasser's Side Burner."

Remember, DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME.
    Pitmaster Club Moderator Spotlight:
    Candy Sue Q's Peach & Hatch Chile Salsa
    August not hot enough for you? Check out Moderator Candy Sue Q's Peach & Hatch Chile Recipe:

Ingredients
    • 4 large peaches, skin on, chopped
    • 3 cloves of garlic, roughly chopped
    • 1/2 an onion (about 1/2 cup total) chopped
    • 1/3 cup cilantro leaves
    • 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
    • 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
    • 2 of 3 roasted Hatch Chiles, skin and seeds removed, roughly chopped (for how to roast them, see above in the post itself)
    • salt and pepper
    Instructions
    1. Place all the ingredients in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse 4 or 5 times to just combine everything. Don't over mix or the salsa will be more like soup. You still want nice texture.
    2. Season as needed with salt and pepper and extra lime juice, if desired.
    3. Transfer to jars and store in the refrigerator.
    There are a lot more ideas by your fellow Pitmasters in the thread started by Moderator Candy Sue Q.

If you decide you want to work with these firecrackers, take note:

"Note on handling chiles: Use rubber gloves or ziploc bags on your hands to avoid getting the stingy oils from chile peppers in your eyes, nose, etc. Wash your hands very well after handling, with or without protection on your hands. If you do happen to get burned on your skin, milk is a neutralizer and works like a dream if you soak a cotton ball and place it on the area. For eyes, rinse well with water."

For more Slaw, Salad, And Other Amp'ed Up Veggie recipes, check the forum in The Pit.
    Remixing Simon & Garfunkel
    From Pitmaster Club Member Mbmorgan
    Like a good jazz standard, a riff can often elevate and reinvent the entire song.

So it goes for recipes, too. Meathead's original recipe for Simon And Garfunkel herb mix is a classic on fish and chicken, but Pitmaster Club member Mbmorgan riffs on it by turning it into a salad dressing! Click here to see his recipe. A few members chime in with their own riffs and uses for the recipes. Check it out!
    Clint Cantwell Interviews
    Chef Jamie Purviance, Author
    "Weber's New American Barbecue"
    This month, Clint Cantwell sits down with Chef Jamie Purviance, cookbook author. He is most known for the series of cookbooks for Weber he's written, the most recent of which is "Weber's New American Barbecue."

Listen to Clint Cantwell's interview with Chef Jamie Purviance here.

Wrote Pitmaster Club Member djl, "Great interview. It was interesting to hear Jamie mention slow-primal-cooking... I had a similar thought (feeling) when I checked out the KBQ mentioned in someone's post on this site. At first I was really impressed with the modular design, and absolute simple genius of it. The geek side of my brain was like yea. It even looks like the servers I work with daily. Then the more sensible part of my brain said is that really how you want to BBQ?

Well it might be nice when it is snowing for Thanksgiving"

Listen to Chef Jamie and Clint, then add your own comments in The Pit!
    In Case You Missed It:
    Meathead On The Rachel Ray Show!
    Queen of thirty minute meals and EVOO, Rachael Ray, had me on her show a few months back and it was broadcast on July 27.

In case you missed it, check out these fun video excerpts from her site, "A BBQ Expert Reveals 3 Summer Grilling Secrets."
    Meathead's Ribs,
    Brazilian Steakhouse Style
    Many of you have Rio Olympic fever and are enjoying the games! There's another thing Brazil does well besides samba and Carnivale -- barbecue!

Brazilian steakhouses serve beef ribs churrasco style. They trim it, salt it, run a sword through it, and grill it until the surface is dark brown. "Gauchos" bring it to the table and slice a thin layer of brown off it across the grain so it will be easier to chew. Beneath the surface the meat is medium-rare, and below that it is very rare, so it goes back on the grill to build a new flavorful crust. It is a showy presentation, and you can do it at home. You just need a screaming-hot grill, a really sharp, thin blade to cut off the slices, and a carving fork to hold the meat still. When you are done, you have some great bones to gnaw on or make into a stock.

Full recipe is on page 267 of the book. Go USA!
    Pitmaster Club Member Potkettleblack Talks Technique: Sous Vide Purge
    The non-culinary definition for the word 'purge' implies that the result is something impure that should be discarded. Meathead describes the term in his cooking glossary as, "This is the liquid, myoglobin, found in the packaging when you bring meat home from the grocery. The longer the meat stands around, the more liquid in the package. Frozen and thawed meat tends to purge a lot of liquid. You want the liquid to be in the meat, not in the packaging."

Writes Pitmaster Club member Potkettleblack, " Purge is the term I have been taught for the stuff that is extracted from the item when cooking sous vide."

He continued, "Purge can be culinary manna. But, following instructions like 'reduce the juices from the bag' or 'add the bag juice to your favorite BBQ sauce' can produce ugly result with off flavors. "

Check out Potkettleblack's entire post on purge and sous vide in The Pit!
    And in case you didn't know, there's an entire sub-forum under 'Recipes and Techniques' dedicated to all things Sous Vide. Give it a read and you might see why Meathead calls the technique the perfect accompaniment to grilling and barbecue.
    July's Gold Medal Giveaway Winner:
    Tim Workman
    The Gold Medal Giveaway winner for July is Tim Workman (right), known in The Pit as sllort! Bob has chosen the Backwoods Chubby Smoker, MSRP $1030. Congratulations, Tim!

Remember that all active members of the Pitmaster Club residing in any of the 50 United States or the District of Columbia, and who are at least 21 years old are automatically entered every month to the Gold Medal Giveaway.

Check out all the prizes you could win, including the newest prize, the Horizon 20" RD Special Marshall (see below).
    New Gold Medal Giveaway Prize
    by Max Good: Horizon 20" RD Special Marshal, MSRP $1,825
    Offset smokers just look cool, but the fact is the cheap ones in the big box stores are junk and they are almost impossible to manage temperatures and turn into rust buckets after one season. If you're Jonesing for the pro look, if you want to burn logs as well as charcoal, this is what you have to spend to get quality. The Horizon is built to cook well and to last. Made of 1/4" thick steel, when it heats up the mass retains heat and holds temp. You still have to practice to get control over the vents to control heat and it's a good idea to sit nearby to watch it, but that's why lounge chairs and beer were invented. And the capacious cooking chamber can be loaded with charcoal if the entire Little League is coming over and you need to grill up 43 burgers at once. Made in the USA. Click here to read our complete review of the Horizon 20" RD Special Marshal.
    Bubbabob's First Cook On His Gold Medal Giveaway Prize
    The June's Gold Medal Giveaway winner, Bob Knight, known in The Pit as bubbabob, shared the first cook he did on his GMG Prize, the Camp Chef Pellet Grill & Smoker DLX, MSRP $750.
    Bob chose some baby backs for the first cook on the Pellet Grill & Smoker. Wrote Bob, "I've heard that pellet smokers don't give up as much smoke flavor as other types of cookers...but check out the smoke ring!" Check out Bob's maiden cook in The Pit!
    Meeting Meathead!
    Thanks For Coming, Pitmasters!
    Meathead, here! Check out Kalamazoo Grillmaster & Engineer Russ Faulk, our own Max Good and me at my recent event at Kalamazoo Gourmet Grill's Chicago showroom, an absolute gorgeous kitchen.

Here's my public appearance schedule:

NEW: Geneva, IL, Sunday, August 21, 12 - 3 p.m. Ask me your BBQ questions at the fundraiser Reason To Rock For Scleroderma Fun Walk and 50's Fest, at the Fifth Third Bank Ballpark, 34W002 Cherry Lane, Geneva, IL 60134. I'll be with Tommy Michel, executive chef of Two Brothers Brewery, and he'll be making a creative variation on the reuben sandwich for participants.

NEW: Wilmette, IL, Thursday, August 25, 7 p.m. Dan Marguerite is hosting us at his shop, the Backyard Barbecue Store. He'll make three dishes from the book, and pair those with 3 great wines (or beers). Cost is $25 without book or if you want to bring your own copy, $50 with book (retail is $35). Call to sign up: 847-251-2272. Space is limited.

Decatur, GA, Saturday, September 3. I will be speaking and signing at the2016 AJC Decatur Book Festival
    , the largest independent book festival in the country.

CANCELLED: Rincon, GA, Sunday, September 4. Smoke and Bones Woodshed, 181 Commercial Dr, Rincon, GA 31326.

NEW: Seattle, WA, Friday, September 16, 6:30 - 8 p.m. Book Larder, 4252 Fremont Ave N. Free event, RSVP on their website.

Details on all my public appearances are updated here on AmazingRibs.com.
    Free 90-Day Trial For Your Friends
    Want to share the Pitmaster Club with friends or family? Send them a free 90-day trial membership in the AmazingRibs.com Pitmaster Club!

Go to http://amazingribs.com/pitmaster_club/index.html and click the red "Join" button. Type "MemberSentMe" in the "Credit Card/Coupon" box. No credit card needed. Limit 1 per person, non-members only, offer expires 12/31/2016.

Benefits with membership include:
    • Faster, ad-free browsing
    • Video seminars with the world's top Pitmasters, including Tuffy Stone, Candy Sue Weaver, Harry Soo, Dr. Greg Blonder, and Chris Lilly among others
    • Access to The Pit forum, a private community of other cooks with tips, recipes, fun, feedback. Your 24 hour hotline to expertise.
    • The PitCast weekly news broadcast by Greg Rempe
    • Comprehensive Food Temperature Guide Magnet ($9.95 on Amazon)
    • Entry into monthly Gold Medal Giveaways with prizes averaging more than $1,000
    • Hot From The Pit email newsletter
    • Face to face Meat-Ups, educational and recreational fun
    • Support for Operation BBQ Relief
    • Support for AmazingRibs.com
    • Learn more about The Pitmaster Club here.

Dang, all that good food that members of the Pit cooked has me drooling all over again!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here