Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Dream Kitchen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Met with the remodeler this morning, and it looks like it will get a start on November 15th.
    I will work on picture posting skills as the pantry tear out looks to be complicated.

Comment

Comfortablynumb.
      To reassure you just a bit? PG500 to the left and SMO66 to the right. Look closely and you will see CookShack logos on both covers. Snuggled under their covers on the back deck which is not covered. I do not intend to uncover them as the Sunsetter is rolled up and it is raining. I am not a believer in cooking outside in inclimate weather but my husband has been doing so for 45 years.
      Pics of the kitchen as it is right now which is a mess because I am packing for the remodel will come later if there is any interest.
      Attached Files

Comment

I think lots of the crowd here likes to see things versus just read about it. That’s why you get a lot of, "I don’t see pics, so didn’t happen" comments. You’re describing some cool stuff and people love to ‘see’ it either for ideas or to live vicariously through you.
        Last edited by glitchy; October 13, 2021, 08:30 AM.

Comment

• Debra
          Debra commented
          Editing a comment
          I will post pics this afternoon of the disaster I have going on right now in the kitchen. I am packing the contents to be moved and it looks like a bomb went off.

• gboss
          gboss commented
          Editing a comment
          "pix or it didn't happen" is a meme that existed when most people didn't even know what an internet meme was. It predates YouTube. I've seen it on every message board or forum I've ever been on since the digital camera became ubiquitous.

Pics of the remodel to follow as time permits.
        I spent most of the day chosing kitchen sink and faucets along with bathroom vanity, tub, and faucets. I was able to order pretty much all I wanted and promised delivery in time to keep with the remodel schedule.
        The new tub was a difficult decision as the technologies have changed so much in the last 15 years.
        @ItsAllGone To The Dogs. Thank you for the heads up on the way the board functions. I will be more patient and understanding in future.

Comment

• Meathead
          Meathead commented
          Editing a comment
          Debra I mean exactly what I said. People unfairly dis lawyers. They have been great helps to me and I have nothing bad to say about them.

• Debra
          Debra commented
          Editing a comment
          Meathead I've met good ones and bad ones. My Sister is one of the good ones. She is semi retired now and trying to get completely retired but the field she worked in was very specialized and she is continually being talked out of retirement. She was employed for almost 30 years in Pharma.

• Debra
          Debra commented
          Editing a comment
          She originally went to work for Ewing Kauffman way way back in his early days.

Originally posted by MBMorgan
        We don’t need another barracks lawyer wannabe here in the Pit.
        Hey! I resemble that remark!

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Lawyers are the worst

• Dewesq55
          Dewesq55 commented
          Editing a comment
          Huskee - Ain't that the truth!

Hi Debra I hope the remodel progress is coming along with a minimum of pain!

I had win and a loss from our remodel this morning that might be useful while you're picking things. For the win - Mapei Flexcolor Acrylic premix tile grout that we used on the tile backslash for the range. It has been subject to number of serious grease splatter fests (last night's lamb chops 😁) and has wiped down sparkling clean with no noticeable grease residue or impregnation into the sand. It was a little difficult to install, but I'm very happy with results.

The loss - plastic shelf pegs. We put in a 36" lower cabinet with a full width pull out shelf. It gets heavily loaded with aluminum foil, Costco plastic wrap, 5lb coffee bags and other stuff. However, it was still pretty aggravating
        ​​​​ to come out and find 3 of the 4 pegs broken and the shelf collapsed onto the one underneath. Make them give you metal pegs for the heavy ones!

Good luck!

Comment

• Debra
          Debra commented
          Editing a comment
          Caffeine88 thank you for the tips and I will take note for certain.
          We are still 3 weeks away from the beginning of the project. I am in the middle of packing up the bathrooms, bedrooms, and kitchen and already feeling the stress just a bit.
          I am good with everything except the removal of the old pantry that includes opening the kitchen up into the living room. I keep having visions of the whole house coming down. Builder has engineered and assures me that won't be the case.

• Debra
          Debra commented
          Editing a comment
          Caffeine88 we went and picked up the backsplash tile this morning and also purchased the Map premixed grout and caulk. Remodeler says it is the only grout he will use in his kitchen remodels because it performs so well. Thank You for the heads up,

Well!! Here we go!!!
        The remodel crew just arrived and preparing to take out the wall between kitchen and living room.
        I'm going to go hide at my daughter's house for the day.

Comment

Day 3 of the remodel. Pantry and kitchen wall gone!!!!
          Half the floor in the whole house gone old floor gone and down to bare wood,
          Old range pulled and advertised for sale.
          Popcorn ceilings taken off in Half the rooms.
          Total Chaos throughout the house.
          1 bedroom left to sleep in and they are saving the bathroom for last thank goodness.
          I will try to post pics tomorrow.
          Good news is they got the main support beam place without the house collapsing which was my biggest fear.

Comment

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            In a previous life I was a drywaller, painter and insulator. I spent many an hour on stilts with raw knuckles, drywall knife in hand, scraping acoustical (popcorn) texture off ceilings. Ugh. Miserable stuff. The folks who do that earn every penny, actually they probably earn way more pennies than they're being paid.

• Debra
            Debra commented
            Editing a comment
            Huskee so far the ceilings have gone very well. House built in the mid '70's and all 8' ceilings. the man peeling the popcorn looks well over 6' so he is able to do it with a short handle on his scraper. I feel sorry for the 2 ripping up the old flooring. that is a tough job.

Hope your popcorn ceilings weren't asbestos... ours we took a sample for testing and they were like 4% asbestos. Which mean contractors to remove them had to be specially licensed or some such.

Interestingly, as a homeowner, we looked into the regs and there are none. Only for commercial contractors. So... we saved a freaking mint and did it ourselves, though it was a PITA.

Pics?

Comment

• Debra
            Debra commented
            Editing a comment
            It was tested and no asbestos detected. I was very surprised at how easily it came off and how good the ceilings looked after it was removed. the contractors will apply the new texture with no problems. They used a sprayer and lightly watered it down and it came off in long strips with almost no dust at all.
            Cutting the drywall to remove the pantry/dividing wall between kitchen and living area was a different story. LOT of dust but they pretty well contained it with plastic looking sheeting.

I'm happy for you. Sounds like you are doing it right the first time.

Comment

The whole house is a disaster right now but hopefully only 6 weeks to completion IF there are no hold ups on what has been ordered. I didn't take before pics but here is the wall opened up from the kitchen into the living room. 16 foot span. Before there were 2 36 inch doors with a 12 foot pantry/wall blocking the rooms from each other. The new opening is amazing! One big room now. I'm actually unable to get a decent picture of the size from within the living room. And there sets my trusty Dacor Dual Fuel Range. I will be sad to see It go as it was my first gas cook top and I absolutely love cooking on it and in it.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Debra; November 17, 2021, 10:13 PM.

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
              ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
              Editing a comment
              Sometimes the chaos of a remodel makes the end product even more rewarding. Can't wait to see the finished product.

• Debra
              Debra commented
              Editing a comment
              Meathead I was shocked by the difference and amazed watching the center beam go up. the new support beam fit like a glove! It took them longer to brace for making the cuts than it did to install the beam. Half a dozen people engineered and measured and built the beam which was double thick with about 36 layers of laminated wood? It looks like wood anyway?

• Debra
              Debra commented
              Editing a comment
              Caffeine88 taking out the wall was the most absolute stressful part for me so far. Now that it is done I can relax and just watch the chaos proceed. I actually had dreams of the house collapsing!

In all the uproar going on I forgot to add that I just ordered a KitchenAid warming drawer to the list to be installed. After doing a little research I discovered the Kitchen Aid is a multi function machine. Warming drawer, bread proofer, AND can be used as a slow cooker as it will go up to 225 degrees.
            I used to bake a lot of simple breads and would love to get back into it. The warming drawer with proofer sounds interesting, and would save a lot of time and effort digging out the proofer.
            Last edited by Debra; November 18, 2021, 07:16 AM.

Comment

• Caffeine88
              Caffeine88 commented
              Editing a comment
              Oooohhhh!!! My wife was drooling over this exact item, but we just didn't have enough space to install. I'll really interested in your review, since I'm certain she's not going to give up on the idea (for the next one...).

• Debra
              Debra commented
              Editing a comment
              Caffeine88 I am very anxious to try it out as a slow cooker. I have heard good things about it. The appliance dealer has sold a number of them and getting rave reviews. I have friends in WA state that have one and swear it is a prime rib cooker beyond compare. That will be interesting to try. I will review.

A small change in the cupboard and cabinet arrangement after a visit by the cabinet designer this morning. We are going to take out another closet wall to move the refrigerator and make a bit more room on the back wall.
            trying to fit in a Thermador built in coffee machine if room allows. If not possible we will just add additional cabinetry and counter tops. My husband is a coffee freak and hoping for the best.

Comment

A quick picture. The wall beside the fridge will be removed and fridge moved to the right
              Attached Files

Comment

It is surprising me how quickly we adapt to things as seeming normal. The pantry wall has been gone for less than a week and I walked in this morning and for the first time just kind of didn't notice the HUGE room. I just kind of walked right into the kitchen like a normal day

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here