Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Dream Kitchen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well it sounds like we have hit or first remodel snag. I got a call this afternoon from the remodeler who tells me the slab of granite I had chosen for the island top was dropped and now sets in the trash bin. Back to the warehouse next week to chose another slab. It may be for the best as I am being advised to give up look for function and may have to seriously go back to considering Quartz. Out of all the granite we looked at it seems dark/black is the one color that is hard to find/rare? Surprising when you see the seemingly unlimited colors it comes in.

Comment

I too am deep in the middle of a renovation. I got Blue Star too! Also w a griddle. Totally pumped. Took 16 weeks though. We see light at the end of the tunnel as the granite countertops arrive Friday.

Comment

• Debra
        Debra commented
        Editing a comment
        JCBBQ We were in to visit the dealer last week and all we ordered from him has arrived. He had a showroom PACKED full of appliances. He tells us items that he has been waiting on for months just all of a sudden showed up at his door.

• Debra
        Debra commented
        Editing a comment
        The Blue Star is going to be so much fun to use and experiment with.

The remodeled brainstormed the kitchen again and convinced me to take out half of a hallway closet to move the refrigerator 30 inches to the right to give us a full size true lazy Susan and 20 more inches of countertop. It will also increase his space for mounting the microwave/French door oven/warming drawer all in a vertical row one above the other. The decision to move the fridge did open up new possibilities. You can see the size of the wall he took out by looking at the frame work on the ceiling above the fridge.
      Attached Files

Comment

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        At one point in our remodel of the house, we had a stairway with bare 2x4’s and plywood stairs. I totally feel your pain.

• Debra
        Debra commented
        Editing a comment
        ecowper we just hit your bare 2x4's and plywood stage on the stairs way!! I kind of like it.

My Thanksgiving weekend will be spent trying to take down the old backsplash in an attempt to save the dichroic glass tiles. I made them one at a time over about a 1 year period in a home kiln and need to figure out a way to incorporate them into the remodel project if I can get them cleaned off and reusable.
      I am sooo ready to get through the demo phase and move onto the rebuilding part.
      Last edited by Debra; November 22, 2021, 10:38 PM.

Comment

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        I did a major house remodel starting in October and ending in February … yeah, painful.

• CandySueQ
        CandySueQ commented
        Editing a comment
        Your tiles are gorgeous! I wish you success with the removal/reuse.

• Debra
        Debra commented
        Editing a comment
        CandySueQ thank you on the tile compliment. I made each of those tile individually in my sewing room with a small kiln about 15 years ago. It was a LOT of work but so much fun and so rewarding to do. I actually learned a lot about fusing glass properly.

This was one of the true joys of the whole things …. Living without a real staircase for a couple months. When it was done, it was beautiful, though.

Take tons of pictures, remind yourself of where you started, what the journey was like, and how great the finished product is

Click image for larger version

Name:	6E63EC99-C4BB-45CA-9B33-AF5210CADCE3.jpeg
Views:	267
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	1130968

Name:	FF2FFBF4-1339-40AB-8FE3-E2D7526B1144.jpeg
Views:	259
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	1130970

Name:	93FABFFC-195B-4D5E-B1AD-0A6AF73E70DE.jpeg
Size:	155.9 KB
ID:	1130969

Name:	3FCBFDB0-0E65-4499-AC5E-B85975722CDA.jpeg
Views:	271
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	1130973

Name:	4D9CD691-859C-499C-8B4C-97AF64CD6664.jpeg
Views:	260
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	1130971

Name:	84675F87-4A2D-4497-A229-C7A783F675B9.jpeg
Views:	271
Size:	247.6 KB
ID:	1130974

Name:	DF425B58-38E4-41B2-91C5-B56CF7CF3305.jpeg
Views:	270
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	1130976

Name:	344C92AF-E94B-4718-87DD-E08682AF0B5C.jpeg
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	1130975

Attached Files

Comment

• tbob4
        tbob4 commented
        Editing a comment
        I remember that. It was a lot of fun following along

ecowper your staircase is beautiful. We are having a hard time deciding what to use on ours. Wood or carpet.Ours leads up from the garage to living room/kitchen and gets a ton of traffic. I believe your decision is the way to go as carpet can be easily replaced every few years where as hard wood would take a beating.
      Are your floors laminate? They are really nice.

Comment

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        PS we bought really high end carpet because we only had to do the staircase. It stands up to traffic really well because of that.

Debra part of that post is to remind you that you the transformation is a process and to enjoy it!!!!!

We chose carpet on the stairs for two reasons …. 1. It’s very easy to replace if you need to. 2. It reduces the risk for older folks and kids as they do up/down the stairs. My father in law is 88 and my father is 82, so this was a big deal in our minds.

Our floors are Luxury Vinyl Tile (LVT), which was a recommendation from our remodel contractor.

THe downstairs floor is a couple years earlier and is laminate. We are expecting to replace that with LVT as well, in the next couple years.

Comment

Earlier this year, I had carpet removed from 3 bedrooms and a hallway. LVT was the way I went and I am not sorry. Photo shows off the rugs on the hallway, but the flooring is just plain nice. I do have 4 transitions from LVT to ceramic tile of about 1/4 inch. I'm going to have to be creative to smooth the bump.

Name:	hallway.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	1131116

Comment

• Debra
          Debra commented
          Editing a comment
          LVT is definitely the way we will go on the whole upstairs. /we are being reassured that it is good to use even in the bathroom.I do like the runners down the hallway and will be incorporating them for sure.

• CandySueQ
          CandySueQ commented
          Editing a comment
          rugsusa.com -- almost too many choices!

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          CandySueQ you can find transition molding designed to handle that much of a difference from one floor to another

Okay, I'll chime in with our current master bath rebuild.

Our house was built in 1987.Here's the "delightful" tile that was here when we moved in:

Name:	FEuGV38WQAEuywx.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	1131160

About six years ago, we renovated much of the rest of the house and decided to cut a corner and didn't rip the tile out. We reglazed it to white, knowing it was a temporary fix.

Well, we're finally there. And we are fixing even more than just the criminally ugly tile. For inexplicable reasons, the shower and toilet areas had the ceiling down at 7 feet instead of the 8 that is in the adjacent vanity area and adjoining bedroom. Fortunately, when we tore that ceiling out, we found there's enough room to go almost all the way to a full 8 feet:

Name:	2021-11-19 15.05.43.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	110.2 KB
ID:	1131161

The wall between the toilet and shower had to come completely out and we'll rebuild it to the proper height with a proper ceiling.

But wait, there's more! For further inexplicable reasons, the floor in the toilet area is 3 inches below the grade in the vanity are and the rest of the house. And the shower floor is 3 inches below that:

Name:	2021-11-19 15.05.49.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	120.5 KB
ID:	1131162

We just confirmed this morning that there will be no problems with bringing the toilet area up to the same level as the vanity area (with the new ceiling only an inch and a half short of 8 feet, yay!) and bring the shower floor up to only a couple of inches below the toilet.

We do still have to figure out the proper procedure for eliminating the inexplicable extra drain behind the toilet. We just need to make sure it somehow doesn't tap back into the toilet drain.

I'll eventually put up a dedicated thread to this project. In theory we have only a tiny bit of demolition left (a small towel closet is coming out of the vanity area and being replaced with a cherry wood pantry to match the new cherry vanity) and the rebuild should be full speed ahead. The tile is sitting in my truck and the cabinets should have arrived by now.

Comment

• Debra
          Debra commented
          Editing a comment
          Jim White. It is amazing what you find that has no reasonable explanation for being done the way it was originally.
          I stop and think that we built this house in 1975, and build price was right around $75,000. At that time it was an average and a bit more cost of building a home. Now I look at the cost of a remodel and it exceeds the cost of the building of the home by a large amount.
          I feel the pain of young people trying to build or purchase in these times.

• Jim White
          Jim White commented
          Editing a comment
          Debra We are just relieved we can even up the floor. We hope to age in place here and getting that floor fixed was very high priority. The shower is large, with two nozzles and a bench at one end. We'll rebuild the bench with the floor and bench having the most nonslip tile we could find.

Beginning to make progress on my most anticipated project of the remodel.. The rest of the house is coming along slowly but surely.
        they started on the kitchen once again and did a bit of work on the pantry area. They say it will begin to go faster now.
        Pictures of the pantry to follow when I get to the house.

Comment

The carpenter assures me much more progress will be made tomorrow.
          The pantry will be 8 feet tall and 12.5 feet wide.
          I plan on using barn doors on each side and leave the middle open for a TV on top, a small counter top below the TV, and 3 large drawers down to the floor.
          I will post progress tomorrow night.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Debra; December 20, 2021, 08:10 PM.

Comment

And! Another change in counter top material.
            I chose white quartzite with black veins running through it for the island top as I plan to do my prep work mainly in that area. The Island top is huge to me. 6 foot 6 inch by 7 foot six inch with room for seating for 8, and a built in sink.
            It looks like the counter tops will be black granite with small white veins running through it. It is a new (to me) texture of granite finish called LEATHER.
            My husband really liked it and my Sister agreed it would look nice so here we go.
            Last edited by Debra; December 20, 2021, 09:06 PM.

Comment

• Caffeine88
              Caffeine88 commented
              Editing a comment
              been very diligent about using cutting boards and wiping up anything acidic quickly. (Vinegar, salad dressing, OJ, citrus juice, anything....) I don't think we've had another mark since then. The sink we bought came with a bamboo board, and it has become the goto work surface for cutting jobs. I'm big fan, and recommend getting a couple.

I wholeheartedly endorse your choice, and wish you many happy moments sipping a beverage of choice and admiring the countertop! You're gonna love it!!

• Caffeine88
              Caffeine88 commented
              Editing a comment
              BTW - we did have it sealed. Twice. Didn't matter. I think it's more of an issue with direct acid attack on the style of surface finish, and no amount of sealer would have changed it. Black granite is the hardest of all of them, and most resistant to ALL stains (none so far, including any water stain from a persistent faucet drip).

You'll still love it.

• Debra
              Debra commented
              Editing a comment
              Caffeine88 do the stains turn lighter in color? The slab is striated with lighter colored almost grey cloudy swirls so hopefully will provide some cover up.
              I plan to use my island as a prep area and the countertop of black granite as range top and storage space.
              The island will have the sink and dining area and be made of white veined quartzite.

Well we made good progress until around 1 this afternoon when one of the contractors crew members working on another job tested positive for the virus.. NOT a member of this crew BUT 3 crew supervisors met Monday morning so all 3 of the crews-15 people total were taken off work and sent for testing and must have a negative result to return.
            Some very unhappy crew members left the house in a very upset mood. Young guys trying to make a living days before Christmas being sent home unexpectedly.
            No one was sure how long it took to get a negative or positive test. No one was sure if they would show positive this soon or have to test Daily or weekly?
            At any rate they did accomplish a bit more this morning.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Debra; December 22, 2021, 08:50 AM.

Comment

• Debra
              Debra commented
              Editing a comment
              Steve B my main goal in the kitchen was to gain as much counter and storage space as possible. The designer REALLY utilized all he could find and then went looking for hidden areas and found them. The pantry area really surprised me though and continue to satisfy me as it is being built. The young man building the cabinets is very good, and his retired Father drops by daily with guidance so to me it is a double win.

• Debra
              Debra commented
              Editing a comment
              His Father is a local custom cabinet maker retired after 45 years who seems to have a hard time letting the job go completely. I have seen some of his work in other homes and he was/is very good.

• Donw
              Donw commented
              Editing a comment
              Really nice. Looks like you found a good designer and it good crew. Love it when a plan comes together.

Looking good. I'm a big proponent of lots of storage space and virtually clear, uncluttered, countertops.

Kathryn

Comment

• CandySueQ
              CandySueQ commented
              Editing a comment
              I love clean, clear counters! Life gets in the way though. I do make a point of getting all the way to CCC at least once a week!

• Debra
              Debra commented
              Editing a comment
              fzxdoc I believe the storage space will possibly exceed my hopes. The pantry will have 7 or 8 large drawers, and a dozen shelves. I always wanted a large walk in pantry and it looks like I gained a large walk BY pantry.
              My goal is to have all my gadgets in the kitchen where I have easy access rather than in the attic, basement, and garage!! My Husvand claims I have every kitchen gadget ever invented.

Well it looks like we are at a stop for now trying to figure out the protocol going forward with a crew member testing positive.
            THIS is frustrating. NO one is able to decide the next step.

Comment

• Caffeine88
              Caffeine88 commented
              Editing a comment
              Well, this bites. The plague unpleasantly disrupted some family events at my house recently, too. I hope it passes over yours quickly.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here