Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Dream Kitchen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The appliances will start their install in the next 2 weeks.
    They are moving back to working on the pantry today and hopefully I can update with pictures tonight showing some progress there.

Comment

Kind of a slow day today production wise but a lot going on in the background on the pantry drawers.
      They spotted the range top onto the cabinet bases in preparation for the countertop measurements next week.
      I am blown away by this 36 inch cook top!
      It just seems HUGE! I can't wait to use it.
      A quick picture that doesn't show how much bigger it is than I am used to.
      Attached Files

Comment

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, that's huge! Kinda makes me wish I hadn't replaced a 36 inch cooktop with a 30 inch one 20+ years ago, but then again, I went from electric to gas at the time too, and I would take a 30 inch gas over a 36 inch electric any day...

• Debra
        Debra commented
        Editing a comment
        jfmorris I am with you on the gas cook tops. I grew up with my Grandmother teaching me to cook on gas and just took it for granted. When I married I went modern and upraded to electric and could just never get used to it. I switched back to gas about 12 years ago and I guess I will remain a fan.
        I did do a lot of research on Induction and actually bought an induction countertop cooker. It is VERY nice but I still can't convince myself I can use it as well as a gas burner.

• Caffeine88
        Caffeine88 commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh man... The 36“ six burner is life-changing!!!! Yours looks great! I swear it'll seem even bigger when you start using it. It's hard to believe the difference 6" of width makes.

I am so anxious to get the Zephyr pop up hood installed behind it. I am kind of shocked at how much extra space the blower fan takes up for it. There will be a large box mounted OUTSIDE the house for the fan and motor!!

Comment

I was able to pick up the backsplash tile I ordered 2 weeks ago. I am hoping this goes well with the black countertop and white cabinets. I am also hoping the abundance of undercounter lighting will really set off the metallics in the tile.
        https://www.tileshop.com/products/gl...-3-5-in-616133

The tile shop has a very nice visuaslier that really helped in selection. I will have the tile installed running side ways instead of up and down at the advice of the remodel people. They say it will reflect more and tend to make the kitchen look longer than mounting as the picture shows.
        A side note. I am SHOCKED at the cost of tile. It has been 16 or 17 years since we did any of this last and it is a wake up call for Sure.
        Last edited by Debra; February 5, 2022, 07:27 PM.

Comment

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          I like that tile a lot - can't wait to see it on the wall!

• Caffeine88
          Caffeine88 commented
          Editing a comment
          Cool looking tile, Debra!

We used the same shape in white, but vertical. Ours wasn't meant to be reflective, but we really felt it worked better vertically - it felt it made it feel taller. We've got 8 gt ceilings, and did cabs all the way to ceiling and this was important to my wife. To be honest, I'd be skeptical of some rec's(mine included, I suppose! 😁). Pick what you really like.. we saw lot of horizontal install and it didn't work for us.

Youre not kidding on the cost - those are spend

They got rhe cook top in place today to prepare for measuring counter tops.
        They have run into their first snag in trying to install the pop up vent behind the burners.
        This thing is HUGE, and going to take some custom duct work and modification of a set of cabinet drawers to install.
        Another picture of the cabinet after being bumped out. I do like the bumpout as it adds a it of bulk to the tops.
        Attached Files

Comment

I somehow lost track of this post, but things are lookin' great!

Comment

Debra did they bring your beam in with one of these? I snapped this picture after we got it into the garage, before he started stowing the boom...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7782.jpeg
Views:	193
Size:	124.4 KB
ID:	1171973

The guy did a great job working with me to get it actually fed into the garage and sitting on two furniture dollies. Now I just gotta get the man power over here to get the 24 foot 850 pound hunk of steel all the way inside the house! He told me he's used the truck to help folks get them in through windows and such, but that wasn't going to work in this situation - it has to go up 3 steps into the house through the kitchen door from the garage unfortunately.

Comment

jfmorris how long is that beam?
              Sorry I missed that in your post. The engineer told us if the beam is below 18 feet I think he said it can be wood or whatever they call it. After 18 feet it will be steel.
              That is a big heavy beam to move
              Last edited by Debra; February 8, 2022, 10:56 PM.

Comment

• jfmorris
                jfmorris commented
                Editing a comment
                24 feet long. They couldn't design a wood beam that would handle the span.

Debra installing a beam in our great room … we bought it from a lumber yard that went out of business. Has lots of history.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DA5893C3-527A-41F8-9FD7-CEC9B0F3E318.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	589.6 KB ID:	1172211
              Yeah, my daughter deciding to sit on the beam and "test it" as she said
              Click image for larger version  Name:	8042013D-7C75-4C77-9E98-5F2AC4C2CEC3.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	614.7 KB ID:	1172210
              Click image for larger version  Name:	0ECF9DCE-F96A-412C-913A-A0C0FD92235C.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	533.9 KB ID:	1172209

Last edited by ecowper; February 8, 2022, 11:32 PM.

Comment

• Debra
                Debra commented
                Editing a comment
                ecowper can you share the history? That is a beautiful piece of wood.
                I love inanimate things with history. We have a limestone fence post in our front yard that was cut in 1890. It is from the corner post of the house my Dad was born in. Those posts are only cut from 2 places in the world that have limestone capable of being used for fence post because of a streak of iron I believe it is running through it. It is locally named Post Rock. My children already argue over who inherits it.
                Last edited by Debra; February 9, 2022, 07:19 AM.

• ecowper
                ecowper commented
                Editing a comment
                Debra the lumber yard was near Snoqualmie Falls and had been in continuous operation, serving east King County, since about 1890. That beam was one of 40’ish that were salvaged when the yard shut down. They had been cut and shaped in the 1920’s. They were used to stack all the other lumber on for 90 years, or so. A mill works local to us bought them as salvage. Most of them went to contractors who used them for ceiling decoration. We managed to get one and use it for a decorative beam

Debra how goes the dream kitchen? Are you cooking inside yet?

I got my beam up over the weekend, taking the kitchen and den from looking like this:

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7846.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.79 MB ID:	1179430

To this:

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7848.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.77 MB ID:	1179432

Beam was a heavy sucker too - 840 pounds of steel with 400+ pounds of 2x10's bolted to it:

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7850.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.84 MB ID:	1179431

Furniture is being shoved around and worked around as we go, and its all a hodge lodge at the moment.

I've got a LONG way to go as we drop all that sloped ceiling to 8 feet to match the rest of it, then do all the lighting and flooring. My biggest dilemma right now is how many can/LED recessed lights do we actually need? All the guidelines say to start 2-3 feet from a corner, then every 4 feet, but good Lord - that would give me 45 6" recessed lights in the entire kitchen, den and eating area. That would be insanity I think. Plus lots of lumens!

Any advice on what you used for light spacing is appreciated.

Comment

@jfmorris That is an incredible beam and span you opened up! It must still just boggle your mind when you walk into that room.
                We had originally planned on 6 can lights but at the advice of the remodeler we ended up with 10 in the kitchen area, and 6 in the living room. I would guess with out measuring the 4 foot recommendation would be close. They make such a difference we added an additional 2 in the hallway and 4 in each bedroom. 45 seems like a LOT of lights. In our area 45 would maybe be overkill? I will say the older we get the more we appreciate lights so we keep adding on as we go.
                We are in a lull right now waiting on the countertops to be cut and installed.
                I feel your pain on the furniture shuffling--it seems to never end!
                PLEASE feel free to keep updating as you go. It kind of gives us a perspective on progress. My Husband is getting a bit impatient and grumpy with what he perceives as slow work.
                On the bright side 2 of 3 bedrooms will be complete Friday. I plan to put the bedrooms back together and declare them off limits to shuffling and storage.

Comment

• jfmorris
                  jfmorris commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Debra oh I get it on the inadequate lighting. This house was built in 1970 and has all the issues of that era. I hate rooms with no lighting. I added the can lights that are in here in a remodel 20 years ago, and the new low profile LED lights don't even need a can - they are amazing. And like you said, you can put a ton of them on a switch that couldn't have handled that many old bulbs.

• jfmorris
                  jfmorris commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I'll have to consider the 4" fixtures too, and where I might use some. Right now we do have two small cans over the kitchen sink - because when I went to put a 6" can there years ago, a rafter/joist was centered over the sink, so I had to do two small cans to either side of that.

• jfmorris
                  jfmorris commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Talking about inadequate lighting - I think older folks are just used to not using it. My mother in law and my parents are all 80+ and I am ALWAYS the one turning lights on over at their houses. I think they sit in the dark until I show up half the time. My parents are in a 4 year old house with plenty of nice lighting. They just don't turn much of it on...

FINALLY a little progress!
                Installed the new sliding patio door while waiting on the countertops to be cut and fit. I absolutely love this new door as I discovered built in blinds with remote control in them. It is so much nicer than the vertical blinds we dealt with for 30 years. It seems that nearly anything you can imagine can be controlled by remote now. I am relying on my son to program all the kitchen, and living room lighting to an Alexa hub which will be awesome if it all works like he is telling me it will.

It seems like progress is now at a snails pace and I find myself getting a little impatient.
                Husband says he is going to give it one more week and get the remodel people kicked back into gear again.
                Construction in our area is just insane, and it seems everyone is maxed out work wise. I am trying to be patient but getting a little tense with how long this is taking. I will admit I was warned by friends and family that this would be the case.
                Oh well-carry on and look for the bright side.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here