Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Costco membership?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I forgot about the liquor prices. Amazing since I tend to over enjoy. The Kirkland brand stuff is great. The vodka is a steal. BUT alas, no PBR.

Comment

• barelfly
      barelfly commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep that vodka for $10 or something?? Crazy!

I figured that If I always bought my gas at Costco I would earn my money back.. plus. My problem is I stopped buying their pin pricked meat and haven’t been into sams or Costco since January. Haven’t really had much news for gas either.

I find Costco pricking for everyday items to be I reasonable and more expensive.

The biggest help I can give is to "know your pricing." Otherwise your will certainly over pay for the convenience when it’s supposed to be the other way around..

Comment

I'd pay $60 for a single purchase of a large item such as a TV, eyeglasses or computer. Costco has great customer support and service, offers the best prices and treats their employees very well, especially compared to the other warehouse clubs. Their prices are always close to the lowest and you'll always find a good bargain. Like another it's hard to walk in and not spend $100 or more. Their pork ribs (Swift) and about $3 a poind and their NY Sirloin strip steaks are normally $13.99 and often on sale for less. Used to go weekly, but haven't been there since March due to isolating. But they do deliver groceries and other items.

Comment

Jeez...I can’t seem to make it out of Costco without spending at least $300! A lot of their products are a great deal though. My Costco has been a lot less crowded since the borders been closed. We’re about 20 miles from the border and typically looking at the license plates in the Costco parking lot, you would think you’re in Canada!

Comment

I have a Costco about 6-7 miles from me, and a Sam’s Club about 2. I let my Costco membership lapse for about 5 years, until they added propane filling as a service. I pretty much only buy propane, brisket and pork belly there. Everything else is at Sam’s. No matter what time of day I go to Costco, it is a zoo. There are two Sam’s in town and both are much more sane and less crowded than Costco.

Be aware that Costco does have a lot of nice prime beef - but they ruin the steaks by blade tenderizing them in almost all locations I’ve been to. This means potential surface pathogens are shoved deep into the meat by hundreds of tiny blades in a tenderizing machine. They mark this in the label, and appropriately also in tiny print recommend cooking it to 165F due to this. Many get by cooking it to medium rare, but I won’t take the risk unless I am sous vide cooking it and know it gets pasteurized. I stick with the primal cuts at Costco, just to be safe, and slice my own steaks. Or just buy it at Sam’s or Fresh Market.
          Last edited by jfmorris; December 27, 2020, 11:52 PM.

Comment

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            Smoldering Flea the brisket is not tenderized. SOME smaller roasts may be - the steaks all seem to be.

• Mark-B
            Mark-B commented
            Editing a comment
            I had no idea, but you're right. I took pic's of the meat at mine and as I enlarged them on my phone, there's the statement: blade tenderized! WT? Why on a prime cut? Hmmmm....thanks for the warning!

• tamidw
            tamidw commented
            Editing a comment
            I wonder if you could request a fresh package without being blade tenderized?

I agree with jfmorris , only buy the whole pieces due to the tenderizing. That said, the prime cuts are definitely of great quality. Below is an example from the other day, my son and I prepping for Christmas dinner! $14/lb vs $22/lb at my local grocery store. They definitely inflate the price pre-christmas though. Usually I can get a strip loin or rib for $8-$12/lb most of the year.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1439.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	964197

Comment

Just got back today from there. Their seafood is great. (i buy my other protein from local farmers) Easily save $100 a month on Seafood and Condiments.

Comment

• jhoskins
              jhoskins commented
              Editing a comment
              The scallops and salmon are very tasty

I love Costco and agree 100% with everyone about their meat. Their fresh shrimp in the meat section is also very good! I think if you join, you’ll find yourself buying a lot more stuff there than you think. Prescription prices are usually very good, gas prices also, their liquor store pricing is about the best you’ll find. Another thing, their store brand, Kirklands, is usually high quality stuff at great prices. Batteries, baggies, paper towels, etc. are good quality stuff. One reason I go there also, they’re the only place I can find the "wider" rolls of toilet paper, Charmin and their Kirkland’s brand is great. I hate those regular rolls they shrunk in width a few years back! Once you buy their steaks and other meat though, you probably won’t buy them anywhere else. I would never go back to Kroger steaks, even their CAB.

Comment

I have an executive membership instead of the standard one. We buy all our staples there: paper towels, TP, dish soap, laundry soap, all our canned goods, bread, tortillas. We buy the vast majority of our meat at Costco as well, unless we are buying special from someplace like Creekstone. We buy basically all of our booze and beer there, also. And, of course, we put gas in the car on the shopping pilgrimage. We buy a lot of clothes there, the prices are excellent. Bought our last couch and TV there, too.

With the exec membership, you get a 2% rebate on all purchases, as well. If you look at that list of what we are buying there, we easily spend enough that we get a rebate check every year that exceeds our membership price. It comes at the beginning of December and we use it for our Christmas Dinner shopping.

Comment

• Panhead John
                Panhead John commented
                Editing a comment
                Woo hoo! An Executive Membership?......Mr. Big Shot. AR is blessed to have you. I only have the lowly "Gold" Membership. 😂

• ecowper
                ecowper commented
                Editing a comment
                Panhead John some of us have got it like that

• ComfortablyNumb
                ComfortablyNumb commented
                Editing a comment
                I could have written this post, except for clothes. I have a business membership there since the late '70s when it was Price Club. I upgraded to the executive as soon as it was offered and have always received my membership fee plus every year. I was glad when they dumped AE for Visa, now I only carry one card.

So this will depend on where you live, but for me, Costco is an available store on instacart. That means a) I don't need to go in the store and b) I actually don't need a membership. I pay 5% more, but for a single guy, that's fine.

And the single guy thing is important... I don't buy in enough volume to justify Costco. But a family almost certainly will. It's also worth it if you're going to buy anything major, e.g. TV, appliances, etc. And the gas can pay for the membership alone.

it sounds like you're trying it and that's what I'd recommend - see if you get $60 in savings over the year.

PS: be aware of what things cost in your market. Costco is not always cheaper on everything.
              Last edited by rickgregory; December 28, 2020, 12:35 PM.

Comment

One other thing. One of their meat buyers is a good friend of mine. Among other things, he set up their pork rib program and their kosher program on the east coast. Rob's perspective is that Costco has so much buying power, they can displace the other grocery store chains with the meat suppliers. This means that they are generally getting Choice Plus at a better price than Krogers is getting Choice at, etc.

His input, for what it is worth.

Comment

The last 2 prime packers I smoked I got from Costco at $2.99 per pound. They were both excellent.

Comment

I have long considered Membership, but they are ~35 miles away...

Now that my Son has gotten clear of his previous marital entanglements, perhaps it would be possible fer it to reap benefits, by both us shoppin there, spread th Love, an $avins...

Same with restaurant Depot..., btw...

(Bottom Line: sounds like I might be buyin me another, even larger Deep Freeze, if so, lol!

(An, I'd haveta s'pose, as a Lectrician, that th most sensible thing to do is have me some kinda Super Kewl Generator, to protect th $$$$ I've already gots invested in meats, which will soon be multiplied...)

Yup, sounds cheap, loll! See yall, there to th KC store...I'm most likely th only Ol Timer, wearin me some bibbers, My Beloved Cowboy Hat, an sportin me a pair of Edge Eyewear "Dakuras"

Comment

• ecowper
                      ecowper commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Why do you think I have two freezers, two fridges, a Hasty-Bake, a new gas stove, etc? Cause of all that damn meat from Costco!

• Mr. Bones
                      Mr. Bones commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Sounds like I need to up my Fridge / Freezer Game, an git on in on th Dang Dang Fun, then, Brother!

Many Thanks fer th Inspiration, <gbg>

If'n yall recall, done boughtened me a 2nd fridge, an it was Dead as Doornail, On Arrival...

Still need to git that ShiteBox outta my Motour Garage, an fill its footprint, with a funtional Version of same...

Mebbe, then, jus then... I kin covertly schneak in another freezer, lol
                      Last edited by Mr. Bones; January 30, 2021, 08:46 PM.

I do wings on my smokers fairly often, and almost always buy Costco's wings. I've had better wings at my area butcher, but for the price point I generally stay with Costco chicken wings.

Comment

With a recent closure and our new location, Costco is actually closer than the normal grocery. Beyond the quality meats, good seafood, they have a good deal on kerrygold butter, which doesn't sound like a big deal, but between the meat, the parmesan, and the kerrygold, I'm there.

Comment

• ecowper
                        ecowper commented
                        Editing a comment
                        The big thing of already grated parmesan is a heckuva deal. So is the big wedge of it that they sell. Also, the Kirkland EVOO is one of the top 10 picks for EVOO by chefs.

• Craigar
                        Craigar commented
                        Editing a comment
                        The avocado oil is pretty darned good too. Actually there isn't a whole lot in that place that isn't good.

• Potkettleblack
                        Potkettleblack commented
                        Editing a comment
                        The Avo Oil didn't fit well into the cabinets at my condo... but I think my cabinets could accommodate here.

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here