Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Costco membership?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Costco’s meat is great quality. Their Prime brisket is fantastic, and you can’t beat the price. It’s usually $3.69/lb at my Costco - cheaper than the Choice brisket, yet outstanding quality. Not sure how/why they do it, but I’ll happily cook it!

Comment

Yeah, not too thrilled with the Blade tendorizer warning, I gotta say. Why on prime cuts?
      Attached Files

Comment

• Mark-B
        Mark-B commented
        Editing a comment
        FYI, just spoke with a COSTCO butcher today. He assured me that all steaks are blade tenderized as its company policy. Asked him if he’d skip it for me, nope, company policy. Big pass on ruined prime meat.

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        I don’t care if they blade tenderized or not. When that steak hits my grill and my mouth, taste is what matters to me.
        Last edited by Panhead John; January 10, 2021, 08:43 AM.

• Red Man
        Red Man commented
        Editing a comment
        Panhead John blade tenderizing pushes all the nasties on the outside of the meat into the center. The only safe ways to cook it are to well done or sous vide. Sure, most times you won’t get sick, but it’s risky.

The $60 is the easy part...it’s the fine print in their agreement that says you need to have at least a hundred dollars worth o’ shtuff ya didn’t plan on buying in your cart before you can check out. LOL

I’m CERTAIN that clause is in there! Get that "Oh, I’m just gonna pick up a couple things" mindset out of your thought process. Almost guaranteed not to work. ;-)

And I too question the need, and use of, blade tenderizing.

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
        ComfortablyNumb commented
        Editing a comment
        I remember the time I went to Costco and only purchased one item. I was immensely proud of myself!

• Santamarina
        Santamarina commented
        Editing a comment
        Can’t count how many times I’ve gone in for "a few things" and come out with a bill for a few hundred bucks!

That being said, I’ve also had the privilege of either living or working less than 5 miles from a Costco for over 20 years, so I’ve made many "one item" trips.

I have Sam’s and Costco memberships. I primarily go to Sam’s now because it’s closer, but they also have the nifty scan and pay app. That alone is worth the price of admission. Going there over the holidays people in line we’re miserable looking. I just walked right past them.

Comment

• Razor
        Razor commented
        Editing a comment
        Mark-B not that I have seen. They’ve actually become my go to place for meat. The "local" butcher down the street from me is expensive and nothing is marked as far as quality goes. It’s hit or miss with them. A real butcher/farm hasn’t been much better. Expensive. Sam’s seems to have the best consistency and prices. Angus and Prime selections cheaper than the other two places I go to. They don’t have as much selection as Costco though.

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        Mark-B no - Sam's does not blade tenderize anything. Unfortunately, they have a much smaller selection of prime beef, but their Angus choice is very good.

• Razor
        Razor commented
        Editing a comment
        I would agree jfmorris, Costco selection is much nicer than Sam’s. The two things that get me about Costco, no scan and go app like Sam’s, and for me they built our local Costco in a retail park where you have to cross the two busiest rail lines on the south side of Pittsburgh.

I can’t tell you how many times I have caught not one but two freight lines on my way to catch a movie and/or a Costco run. One of the dumbest traffic designs I have ever witnessed,

Ok, got the Sams club for $25 via Groupon (have yet to redeem) Still considering Costco too. I think I’ll see if they can match membership rates. Anyway, looking for beef ribs. Costco or Sams?

Comment

For goodness sake, it's only $60 for a membership! You'll spend that before you get to the end of the first aisle! Go for it and enjoy the experience of unique products and endless items you don't need but buy anyway. It's all part of the warehouse club journey!

Comment

• Mark-B
          Mark-B commented
          Editing a comment
          Hah! I don’t think you read the part about me being cheap and always looking for a deal. My momma engrained that in me. Can’t help it.

Have to agree with @bep35... If the difference between $60 and $25 is material to you, you should be watching your shopping MUCH more carefully.

I get the desire to justify the expense and not waste money, but at this point you're in the Valley of Analysis Paralysis.

I've never shopped at Sams (and won't, I despise Walmart) but I doubt many people really need 2 warehouse memberships.
        Last edited by rickgregory; January 7, 2021, 04:19 PM.

Comment

Obviously the PIT has some strong beliefs about Costco 😂

Comment

On the Costco vs Sam’s debate: I can’t stand shopping at Walmart...and Sam’s is just Walmart with a cover charge! Same stuff, same weird people. I’ll stick to Costco!

Comment

Just made a Costco run myself. I can't stand Wal-Mart so I am out on Sam's. Having the guys and their kids over for some ice fishing this weekend, Costco Brisket, pork belly and chicken thighs are gonna be on the menu....and hopefully some Walleye.

Click image for larger version  Name:	63169102478__1F2E4D3D-C08D-4C25-A434-CD99B093109F.jpeg Views:	8 Size:	3.07 MB ID:	970182
              Last edited by Spinaker; January 7, 2021, 04:34 PM.

Comment

• crazytown3
                crazytown3 commented
                Editing a comment
                Yasssssss!!

• ComfortablyNumb
                ComfortablyNumb commented
                Editing a comment
                Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here