Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forgive me if this is obvious to you, but just in case... make sure to have a slight slope to your grease drain. Many manufactures will mount the units at a slight angle instead of level.

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Ahumadora Not enough to be visible & unsightly, just enough to drain grease or better yet condensation that, when not caught, can lead to mold.

• Ahumadora
      Ahumadora commented
      Editing a comment
      I am an engineer. I can be 20 ft away from a project and tell the guy building it "that's not square" and sure enough when he measures it is out of whack 1/4". Years of building has given me a knack for this. For me a pit this big is not going to throw out much grease. my 2 cents.

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Ahumadora Fair enough. Not everyone has a hill in their yard though, or worries if their smoker is 1/4" slanted since it's with purpose. I personally feel it's a useful subtle feature, as do many makers.

Yes sir! Are we naming this bad boy?

Comment

• gijsveltman
      gijsveltman commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes we are! But I haven't decided on a name. I'm sure it will come up eventually when I get the crew together for the first Q with it!

I like Baltassar (Ball-tuh-zarr) as a stickburner name.

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Heard it in a movie, thought it sounded big & tough, humorously so. gijsveltman

• gijsveltman
      gijsveltman commented
      Editing a comment
      Huskee It shall be taken into consideration!

• FireMan
      FireMan commented
      Editing a comment
      I like Fred.

I mean..."JCBBQ" just sort of flows off the tongue, no? Also very easy to translate into Spanish.

Comment

Firebox is attached! Only minor details and paint left to tackle!

Click image for larger version

Name:	B4EF62FC-5299-407E-86DC-B7BD5028A215.jpeg
Views:	154
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	456075

Comment

• Mudkat
        Mudkat commented
        Editing a comment
        Looking good! Where did you get the tank?

• gijsveltman
        gijsveltman commented
        Editing a comment
        Mudkat I got in on a Craigslist like website down here

• Mudkat
        Mudkat commented
        Editing a comment
        Gotcha. I got mine on Craigslist too. Can't wait to see your cooks on this bad boy!

Looks great so far

Comment

It is now starting to look like a mean smokin mochine. Good work, keep it up.

Still like Fred.

Comment

This whole post is enjoyable.

Comment

First fire today, to see how it performed. Door is a little leaky, so I'm going to order some gasket to install. I also noticed it was hotter near the exhaust than near the firebox, which I found odd. I don't know if it has something to do with the fact the grease drain is near the firebox and missing the plug, it's just and inch-and-a-half hole right now, so there could be some heat drain. Or maybe the baffle we installed is too long. I also noticed that some smoke came out the firebox door (I plan on cooking with the door open), and I don't know if it is because it is not pulling properly as it still has some leaks and holes, if this is normal, or because it was really green wood belching out lots and lots of white dirty smoke. I didn't have time to go home and change, so I'm at the office with a real heavy smoke aroma right now!

Later today we're painting, installing the thermometer and wheels. And I think we may be done, aside from the gasket which I have to order.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-02-20-PHOTO-00000189.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	457650

Comment

Looking great! Keep us posted.

Comment

Cool!

Comment

You want be able to stop all of the leaks but that’s ok because it’s normal for a stickburner to leak some.

Comment

• gijsveltman
                    gijsveltman commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Huskee thanks! This was just a trial run at the workshop, I can't wait to have it home and start tinkering with it.

• DWCowles
                    DWCowles commented
                    Editing a comment
                    It could also be since the exhaust end is slightly higher due to the drain hole being at the firebox end. Heat rises. I prefer the drain to be on the opposite end of the firebox.

• gijsveltman
                    gijsveltman commented
                    Editing a comment
                    DWCowles you are right, it is a little uneven. But it’s the floor at the workshop, it will be level at home

How 'bout this for a name? Log Hog?

Comment

• Mudkat
                    Mudkat commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Great build!

Great! I have a machine shop and we’ll follow your progress with interest. We plan to build one soon.

Comment

This is a project I've wanted to take on for a long time. Anxious to see your final product.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here