Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's a sign...!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WOW! just caught up from where you were looking for a trailer, awesome work! can't wait to see how this engineering marvel works.

Comment

I am vicariously enjoying your build Henrik. Lookin' forward to more updates.

Comment

Alright, another weekend, time for some updates. The build is taking a bit longer than I would like (in calendar time), but I have another big bbq project which I'm wrapping up in the next two weeks, plus I have a day job, so it'll get done when it is done. No point in rushing it.

Either way, still making good progress. The work did come to a halt today though since I ran out of gas . Need to bring the 'bottle' back for a refill on Monday. Bummer.

So, I welded shut the outer cylinder. This was the most boring part of the build, but it had to be done.

Click image for larger version  Name:	custom_smoker_31_1.jpg Views:	1 Size:	513.6 KB ID:	293948

If you wonder about all those pieces of tape they're there to indicate where the angle irons are located, so I know where to cut holes for the doors later, as well as where to mount the legs.

Now that the cylinder is air tight, I mounted the legs. Finally! After a bit of tweaking/measuring I got the angle (90°) that I wanted. I'm trying to avoid having the smoke stack look like the leaning tower of Pisa

Click image for larger version  Name:	customsmoker_32.jpg Views:	1 Size:	512.4 KB ID:	293950

Here's another shot of the legs, from another angle.

Click image for larger version  Name:	customsmoker_33.jpg Views:	1 Size:	476.9 KB ID:	293949

Oh, if you wonder about all those 1/4 circles of OSB board, I realized early on that they're great for keeping the big tank from rolling around. It is quite handy to roll it around, but it must be still when I'm welding, so I keep shuffling these underneath. Dead cheap and convenient

Next steps (after a gas refill): cut holes for the doors and the fire box! Woop woop! Getting close!

Comment

That looks like a super fun project. Can't wa it to see the finished project.

Comment

Boy you do nice meticulous work with super attention to detail and planning.

Comment

So, fellow bbq'ers, I have a new gas tube for my welder. Back to work...

I fiddled with some minor stuff, touch ups, et.c. The build is progressing. I am trying hard to find time to build, like most of us I have a day job to tend to... :-) I'm also working on another big bbq project which I will announce in a few weeks.

Anywho, back to the smoker. I cut a hole for where the firebox 'slides' in (slide is a bit misleading, as it weighs 150 kg / 330 lbs).

The main chamber is lying on the side, sort of, that explains the photo. Here you can see the double walls.

Click image for larger version  Name:	customsmoker_36.jpg Views:	1 Size:	290.2 KB ID:	301065

Now the leg frame is fully welded, time to turn this beast up on it's feet.

Click image for larger version  Name:	customsmoker_37.jpg Views:	1 Size:	528.7 KB ID:	301069

If you think the legs are a bit short, remember this whole thing is being mounted on a trailer.

Here's "Rude Boy", standing upright on its own for the first time during the build:

Click image for larger version  Name:	customsmoker_38.jpg Views:	1 Size:	480.0 KB ID:	301067

I've been meaning to fabricate the hinges for the fire door forever, well today it happened. Decided to go very old school, just like the rest of the firebox. Left all tap welds in place as I want it to look like a rusty old safe from the 1860s.

Click image for larger version  Name:	customsmoker_39.jpg Views:	1 Size:	437.3 KB ID:	301068

Since I had the (food) doors and their frames done already, I decided to fabricate hinges on them too, as well as door handles.

Click image for larger version  Name:	customsmoker_40.jpg Views:	1 Size:	418.4 KB ID:	301066

As you can see I used flat iron for this, dead simple. The handle is a metal pipe over a round bar, that way it rotates nicely when opening, so it won't 'grind' in your hands, if you know what I mean.

Man, I'm tired after working too much for the last few weeks. Poured myself a shot of my favorite bourbon (Bulleitt) tonight.

If I can find 30-45 minutes to spare tomorrow I will cut holes for, and tap weld, the door frames.

After that I need to build grill grates and then fire this whole thing up. I have really enjoyed this build, still do, but in the end I want to smoke meat in it. Can't wait.

Comment

Can't wait to see the smoke coming out of this bad boy. Looking pretty damn cool. Thanks for the update Henrik

Comment

Thanks fer th' update on this magnificent build, Henrik!!!
                  I am with ya', let's see your behemoth smokin'
                  Very high-quality ingenuity an' workmanship!!

Comment

Are you sure you're not secretly building a Swedish version of the International Space Station???

Comment

• Henrik
                      Henrik commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Ha ha! The thought has struck me throughout the build. Most passers by and neighbors think I'm building a massive boiler for the house :-)

Looooove this thread. Thanks for the updates Henrik. Things are staring to come together. I can't wait for you to get some smoke rolling through that thing! Keep rolling brother!!

Just curious.....how does one say "Rude Boy" in Sweedish? I love the name!!! LOL

Comment

Thanks all! Well, "Rude Boy" doesn't translate well, not directly anyway.

Man, a night of good rest does wonders! Will cut holes for, and mount, the doors today.

Nerd fact: being an engineer, I ordered a wind meter a week ago. I figured if I have calculated the expected draft through this thing, it must be checked in the real world also to see if theory correlates. I honestly don't know how this will turn out, but it will be good to know the real draft regardless. That way I can adjust the smoke stack length according to both how the fire behaves as well as real measurements.

Comment

So, managed to cut holes and tap weld the door frames in place. It's actually beginning to look like a smoker now.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7878.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	301.9 KB
ID:	301402

I still need to spend a few hours welding it tight, as the doors are just spot welded, but the big job was cutting through the layers of metal with the steel grinder. Went through a few discs...

Comment

• tbob4
                          tbob4 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Wow!

• Breadhead
                          Breadhead commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Nice repurposing job Henrik ...👍 Turning a rusted tank in to a work of art is a thing of beauty.🙀

• Henrik
                          Henrik commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Thank you Breadhead!

I have to agree with tbob4, WOW! Henrik, when you are finished you will be able to feed 1/2 the town. Who would have thought that rusted piece in the field would take on this life. I just know it is going to be magnificent & everybody is going to want to come over & watch you tend to the cooker. Then, partake of its offerings. Great work man.

Comment

So, when I get to Sweden, are you going to fire that thing up in celebration? Of course, I naturally assume you're going to pick me up at the airport...

Comment

So, final post, as the build is now (more or less) finished. To make sure the doors seal properly I put in gaskets (replacement gaskets from a Kamado Joe), 1 inch wide.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7880.jpg Views:	1 Size:	349.6 KB ID:	305773

I also fabricated support 'legs' for leaving the doors open while tending to the food.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7881.jpg Views:	1 Size:	422.9 KB ID:	305774

In the last few weeks I've been scavenging the local area for oak wood. Reminds me of a scene from Pulp Fiction (1994): "How 'bout you Jimmie, you an oak man?"

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_36865.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	328.8 KB
ID:	305776

I did manage to gather up quite a bit.

Here's a shot of me nudging the firebox in place. It fits pretty snugly.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7883.jpg Views:	1 Size:	460.3 KB ID:	305775
                          And here are the two flat iron bars I put in to get maximum breathability from underneath the logs. Smart move, if I may say so.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7884.jpg Views:	1 Size:	319.6 KB ID:	305772

And finally, I even put up a video on Youtube.

It was quite emotional, firing it up after all those long hours, but the reward of sitting there, sipping some wine and just looking at the nice, clean, invisible smoke coming out that smoke stack is beyond words. I'm really proud of myself for getting to the finish line. I want to say a massive THANK YOU! to all friendly supporters in this amazing forum. It has really helped me along, and I am now an official 'stick burner'. Very cool indeed. BBQ Rules.

Comment

• Juddlight
                            Juddlight commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Nice video hank that thing is awsome

• Juddlight
                            Juddlight commented
                            Editing a comment
                            And the website too haha very nice

• bbqoaf
                            bbqoaf commented
                            Editing a comment
                            That is one bad a$$ grill, well done!

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here