Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's a sign...!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great stuff Henrik. I don't know how I forgot about this post, but I just caught up - awesome work.

Comment

Henrik I just read this thread from start to finish. How the hell have I missed this??? This is amazing. Henrik you're a stud. I can't wait to see the next installment! Unbelievably great job!!

Comment

You're the man, Henrik ! What a beauty of a build. On the smoker, that is.

Kathryn

Comment

Wow, the support and encouragement here is amazing! Thank you all!

Now I thought I'd share my first big blooper. Sometimes my brain takes a short vacation, without telling me....

If you look at how I mounted the flange/adapter for the smoke stack in the previous pictures it made me wonder why I welded it on backwards. The drilled holes in the flange don't make much sense when mounted that way.

Good job, Henrik....

So, just had to bite the bullet, get the grinder out and spend an hour cutting it off and welding it back on the right way.

You live and you learn...

The adapter, removed and re-welded properly (with the flange pointing out):
          Click image for larger version

Name:	customsmoker_19.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	231.2 KB
ID:	278280

And here's the stainless steel elbow pipe in place. Now you see what I mean:

Name:	customsmoker_20.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	223.8 KB
ID:	278281

Comment

Ganske flink, Henrik! (I hope that translates correctly into Svenska) ...

Comment

• Henrik
              Henrik commented
              Editing a comment
              It does!

Mycket bra jobb Henrik..
            This is starting to look really good..

Comment

I love DIY projects! This is one that would be out of my league. So now I am living vicariously through you!

Comment

So, the build is well on it's way. I feel I'm making steady progress, which is nice.

It is time to assemble the large food chamber. Since it is made of thin sheet metal it needs a skeleton (sort of) to stay in shape. So I mounted eight angle irons running the length of the food chamber.

Name:	IMG_7850.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	231.9 KB
ID:	284451

To make sure the legs won’t bend or flex the outer cylinder I made vertical sections of angle iron also. But in order to bend them properly I cut slots every half inch. This way I can bend them with my bare hands, shaped to fit perfectly. Hey, if you don't have a fully equipped machine shop you have to get inventive :-)
                I kept the wooden board I made the frame out of, which means I had the perfect template to shape it.

Name:	IMG_7851.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	269.6 KB
ID:	284454

Here you can see how I plan to mount it:

Name:	IMG_7854.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	274.8 KB
ID:	284455

And here they are, all 6 of them, welded in place:

Name:	IMG_7855.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	259.2 KB
ID:	284453

Now it was time to place the leg/frame on top, just to see if it fits properly. It did, it lines up perfectly with my reinforcement angle irons.

Name:	IMG_7856.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	246.7 KB
ID:	284452

Now it goes off again, until I have welded the outer cylinder in place.

So, the main chamber is getting close to done, time to break the mold:

Name:	IMG_7857.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	280.7 KB
ID:	284456

I felt like doing a smaller job today, so I fabricated the two doors. I made them out of 2 mm steel, surrounded by angle iron "frames". Will weld the handle and hinges on later.

Name:	IMG_7858.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	247.7 KB
ID:	284457

Can't wait to finish this build and fire it up. Still some ways to go though.

Comment

• bbqoaf
                  bbqoaf commented
                  Editing a comment
                  This thread is awesome.

Very cool, Henrik !!!
                Thanks fer th' update!!!

Comment

• Steve B
                  Steve B commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Ditto Mr. Bones comment.

• Craigar
                  Craigar commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Ditto the ditto.

• Huskee
                  Huskee commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Ditto^3

Henrik, Very Nice Craftsman Ship So Far! Don't take any Short Cuts Now! If You want to become an Itinerant Int'l Welder I can perhaps give You a few Leads! It would be Hard to Put Your New Smoker in Your Grip?
                Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND USA, Dan

Comment

Henrik I have really enjoyed reading through this thread. Love your work! One question: the whole deal kicked off with finding the big white missile in the woods...now that it doesn't form part of the cooker, what is your next project to make use of it?

Comment

• Henrik
                    Henrik commented
                    Editing a comment
                    The missile stays in the woods...Never did bring it home. I'm glad I didn't. I would have to buy a fork lift to move that thing around.

So, thought I'd share the latest build updates. Still making good progress, really enjoying this build. But it is a lot of fabrication. The next one will be a lot quicker, since I plan on simplifying a few things (...and making it 1/4 the size...).

In order for the newly built doors to fit the main chamber I fabricated adapter frames. I test mounted these below, to make sure the fit is just right. As you can see the doors are flat, and the main chamber is round. Hence the adapters.

Click image for larger version  Name:	customsmoker_28.jpg Views:	1 Size:	353.9 KB ID:	287258

Now before the last parts of the wooden frame is removed I welded cross support braces in place in the middle of the food chamber. I also welded the grill grate ‘bars’, or rails, in place. This was way easier to do now than later when the chamber is welded shut. In the picture below you see the cross support braces, and one of the four grill grate rails (to the right). It feels really good when I get to details such as grill grates :-)

Name:	image_34777.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	249.6 KB
ID:	287259

Now I can finally remove the last parts of the wooden frame:

Click image for larger version  Name:	customsmoker_30.jpg Views:	1 Size:	520.6 KB ID:	287260

And this also means I get to weld the end pieces in place. I did one end today, will do the grease drain tomorrow before I weld the other end piece (with the smoke stack). Planning what to do, and in which order, is key

In order to align the end piece perfectly (well, almost) I erected the main chamber. It was quite easy since it doesn't weigh much. I could then nudge it back and forth until it was aligned.

Click image for larger version  Name:	customsmoker_31.jpg Views:	1 Size:	592.0 KB ID:	287261

Now that one end is welded I can tell you that the cylinder is becoming quite rigid and sturdy (as planned). So far the construction is delivering. Light-weight and strong.

All in all a good day, just celebrated it by making myself a strong Gin & Tonic. Because I'm worth it

Tomorow is exciting, as I will:

1. Weld the other end piece in place
                  2. Wrap and weld the outer cylinder layer
                  3. Weld the grease drain in place.

When that is done I will (with a little help from a friend) lift it up onto the leg frame and weld it in place. Good times! The first smoke is not far off.

Comment

That's really coming together nicely, Henrik! Thanks for sharing (again) ...

Comment

I am so impressed with your well thought out plan and attention to detail. Please keep us posted.

Comment

This is a great thread! Just read it for the first time. Henrik is a genius!

Comment

• Henrik
                          Henrik commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Now that's clearly an overstatement of the day, but thanks for the support! Will post updates as I plan to wrap up this build in the next few weeks.

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here